• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Steroid injections

It might be worth considering doing a round of Panacur.
Ah I was just saying we got some today for everyone! You thinking worms? I doubt it's that, he has mega colon and my vet says he's like a textbook case of it, and says how he looks is entirely what he'd expect.. But maybe it's super worms [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Not particularly for worms - you would probably notice those - more for EC. Assuming there are no contra-indications, it's always worth trying IME. It's such a common parasite, and some rabbits are more susceptible than others. I had one rabbit who used to noticeably drop weight as a first symptom of a relapse, before she started with very slight hind leg symptoms. I used to have to treat her at least twice a year. Panacur also covers for other internal parasites and shouldn't (as far as I can recall) have any adverse effects - so a relatively cheap & easy thing to try and cross of the list of possibilities.

Not particularly for worms - you would probably notice those - more for EC. Assuming there are no contra-indications, it's always worth trying IME. It's such a common parasite, and some rabbits are more susceptible than others. I had one rabbit who used to noticeably drop weight as a first symptom of a relapse, before she started with very slight hind leg symptoms. I used to have to treat her at least twice a year. Panacur also covers for other internal parasites and shouldn't (as far as I can recall) have any adverse effects - so a relatively cheap & easy thing to try and cross of the list of possibilities.
Ah I see, he didn't have EC last time we checked! Clementine who he lives with does though. But his weight issues are because he suffers with mega colon unfortunately. But he gets panacur anyways, and we're just about to give everyone it again. Yea it's really common I think it's like 80% of rabbits carry it, madness!

I used probiotics as Jane mentioned on my late dash and evan who both had an issue similar to atticus. I ordered it from UK , Avipro?, and it did not have any adverse reaction on them and may have done good for Evan. Dash would eat like a horse and still was thin.

Personally I would speak with your Vet before administering Panacur. Whilst relatively rare Fenbendazole, the active ingredient in Panacur, can have adverse side effects. Given Atticus’s presumed Megacolon I would not want to risk it unless my Rabbit Savvy Vet specifically advised it.

What are your thoughts on giving them a go for Atticus? I value your opinion, I'm a bit on the fence tbh

I'll have a look at prebiotics again thanks

I would definitely try it :). Has he had a recent full blood profile ? I would want that done too if he hasn’t.

I used probiotics as Jane mentioned on my late dash and evan who both had an issue similar to atticus. I ordered it from UK , Avipro?, and it did not have any adverse reaction on them and may have done good for Evan. Dash would eat like a horse and still was thin.
Ah yea we've given that one a go before I wasn't sure it did much tbh although maybe worth another go as recently I've managed to get more variety into him!

Personally I would speak with your Vet before administering Panacur. Whilst relatively rare Fenbendazole, the active ingredient in Panacur, can have adverse side effects. Given Atticus’s presumed Megacolon I would not want to risk it unless my Rabbit Savvy Vet specifically advised it.

Oh right! So William prescribed it yesterday for all of them, he seemed to suggest it was fine for him, but I didn't know that so never queried it. He's had it lots of times before without issue. What are the rare side effects?

I would definitely try it :). Has he had a recent full blood profile ? I would want that done too if he hasn’t.

Not for a year so maybe worth doing before hand, what would you be checking for from it? Coz I reckon William would just do them without doing blood test tbh [emoji38] so it's good to know I should be looking for!

Oh right! So William prescribed it yesterday for all of them, he seemed to suggest it was fine for him, but I didn't know that so never queried it. He's had it lots of times before without issue. What are the rare side effects?

Not for a year so maybe worth doing before hand, what would you be checking for from it? Coz I reckon William would just do them without doing blood test tbh [emoji38] so it's good to know I should be looking for!

If William said Panacur is OK for him then I would follow his well qualified advice. The rare side effects can include suppression of bone marrow production. I have also known of a Rabbit who developed Liver problems after being on Panacur. Once the Panacur was stopped Liver function returned to normal.

If he has not hat bloods done for over a year I would want them done again before he starts on anabolic steroids. Especially looking at his liver function. Given his frequent episodes of diarrhoea due to his Megacolon I would want his Potassium levels checked too. Anabolic steroids can lower blood potassium. Frequent diarrhoea can cause low blood potassium. Very low blood potassium can cause cardiac problems.

If William said Panacur is OK for him then I would follow his well qualified advice. The rare side effects can include suppression of bone marrow production. I have also known of a Rabbit who developed Liver problems after being on Panacur. Once the Panacur was stopped Liver function returned to normal.

If he has not hat bloods done for over a year I would want them done again before he starts on anabolic steroids. Especially looking at his liver function. Given his frequent episodes of diarrhoea due to his Megacolon I would want his Potassium levels checked too. Anabolic steroids can lower blood potassium. Frequent diarrhoea can cause low blood potassium. Very low blood potassium can cause cardiac problems.
That's really helpful thank you :D

Back