• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Steroid injections

Graciee

Staff member
Anyone's bun had them?

Atticus weighs 2.3kg atm, and he's not a small rabbit, so he's a bag of bones tbh, my vet is saying if he gets to 2.1kg or less we should try steroid injections. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

TIA x

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Steroid injections can be used as an appetite stimulant in cats and dogs. I assume that's what they are aiming for in a rabbit, along with anti-inflammatory properties as well. No experience of their use in rabbits, though.

Steroid injections can be used as an appetite stimulant in cats and dogs. I assume that's what they are aiming for in a rabbit, along with anti-inflammatory properties as well. No experience of their use in rabbits, though.
Idk tbh, if that's all its for then I'm not sure it's worth it tbh, he would eat and eat and eat forever if we let him [emoji38] he never stops eating [emoji38]

awwww Atticus :love: having a skinny bunny is so stressful

Rudey had an anabolic steroid by injection, i can't say it helped him but he was also on antibiotics at the time & I'm sure they upset him & so could have skewed things. Back in the 1990's FHB had my lovely Ralph on steroid tablets but the ones most vets & owners don't agree - I have to say he did amazingly on those, they helped him so much.

Not very useful I'm afraid .I hope you find something that works

Anabolic steroids? I had a piggy on those injections years ago, to try to boost her up. I didn't realise they were even still used.

awwww Atticus :love: having a skinny bunny is so stressful

Rudey had an anabolic steroid by injection, i can't say it helped him but he was also on antibiotics at the time & I'm sure they upset him & so could have skewed things. Back in the 1990's FHB had my lovely Ralph on steroid tablets but the ones most vets & owners don't agree - I have to say he did amazingly on those, they helped him so much.

Not very useful I'm afraid .I hope you find something that works

Yea it really is, I took all 4 in for their vax today, Apricot and Willoughby are perfect weight now, Clementine has actually lost some weight which is good and Atticus is just bones [emoji51]

He's in really good condition considering everything tho and has a great time so I'm trying to focus on that, he's probably my happiest and most active bun so I try to remind myself that even though his coat is dull and just not nice? It's weird my other three look really glossy and healthy but he just doesn't look good.

He said it could be tablets I have to grind up so could be that instead? Idk I think William is just thinking he can't lose more weight. I can't really feed him more tho. He suspects he's not able to absorb everything he eats so I'm gunna try a multivitamin for him again. I've actually got him eating veg twice a day now, really small amount and only really kale and some herbs but it's way better than just hay, he also has excel pellets every evening so he's actually not doing bad diet wise recently. Before he was only eating hay and willow, so this is way better!

Can rabbits eat porridge? I used to make my hamsters who were old porridge.. I'm guessing the milk makes it a no tho for buns [emoji38]

That's really useful to know tho thanks :)

Anabolic steroids? I had a piggy on those injections years ago, to try to boost her up. I didn't realise they were even still used.
Ah maybe! Did they work for your piggie?

Ah maybe! Did they work for your piggie?

They did help a little, but not hugely. And I wonder whether the risks outweigh the benefits. I don't think I'd go down that road again, even if I could get my vet to agree to it. They were injections every two weeks, as I recall.

But maybe he's talking about different steroids?

I'm sure Doughnut had anabolic steroid injections - tbh I can't recall how well they worked - but well enough to continue I guess.

I think I read FHB said oats aren't good for buns but again can't recall specifics. Defo no milk :lol:

Its great to hear he is so happy. Mouse was so skinny for her last 2 years, didn't seem to matter what I did or what she ate. In the end I made myself relax about it

They did help a little, but not hugely. And I wonder whether the risks outweigh the benefits. I don't think I'd go down that road again, even if I could get my vet to agree to it. They were injections every two weeks, as I recall.

But maybe he's talking about different steroids?
Yea maybe Idk tbh, it was let's see how he goes and let him know if it drops lower kinda deal, so would discuss in more detail then ofc [emoji38] I was jw coz I asked him if they'd help and he said they can do or not and just wondering if anyone else had any experience really!

Why wouldn't you personally use them again?

I'm just trying to work out if leaving him alone is the best thing or not really, he's such a happy little thing tbh! I can't believe him and Clementine are 5 now either, feels like I've had them forever [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I'm sure Doughnut had anabolic steroid injections - tbh I can't recall how well they worked - but well enough to continue I guess.

I think I read FHB said oats aren't good for buns but again can't recall specifics. Defo no milk [emoji38]

Its great to hear he is so happy. Mouse was so skinny for her last 2 years, didn't seem to matter what I did or what she ate. In the end I made myself relax about it

Ah okay hahaha yea not what I'd normally consider I'm just wondering if there's something I can fatten him up with so he can keep on springing [emoji38]

Yea I've been doing that tbh but he has lost 1kg in a year which isn't brilliant [emoji51]

Yea maybe Idk tbh, it was let's see how he goes and let him know if it drops lower kinda deal, so would discuss in more detail then ofc [emoji38] I was jw coz I asked him if they'd help and he said they can do or not and just wondering if anyone else had any experience really!

Why wouldn't you personally use them again?

I'm just trying to work out if leaving him alone is the best thing or not really, he's such a happy little thing tbh! I can't believe him and Clementine are 5 now either, feels like I've had them forever [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

The pig I had died of a heart attack not long after the course of injections, which was probably unrelated, but you never know. And, when I asked my vet about it in the last 6 months or so, she said they didn't tend to use anabolic steroid injections anymore (didn't say why).

Yes for Anabolic steroids in cases of chronic renal failure. They can stimulate the appetite and reduce muscle wastage.

Some studies have found that PREbiotics can aid the adsorption of some dietary nutrients. Unlike PRObiotics, PREbiotics are not destroyed by gastric acid.

Ive just been researching Oats but it is not really recommended. What about a tsp of Muesli a day, the Rabbit variety I mean. It certainly won't hurt.

Have you ever added alfalfa? I know it is not hay, yet Raven gained a little weight when I added a small amount to his diet after his last dental to encourage him to eat. He still gets lots of greens, hay, and some pellets.
Atticus is unique case, yet rough coat and weight loss suggests worms in some animals.

It is a tough decision to try a treatment when a bunny is happy. Sending vibes he can retain his weight so steroids will not be needed.

Yes for Anabolic steroids in cases of chronic renal failure. They can stimulate the appetite and reduce muscle wastage.

Some studies have found that PREbiotics can aid the adsorption of some dietary nutrients. Unlike PRObiotics, PREbiotics are not destroyed by gastric acid.

What are your thoughts on giving them a go for Atticus? I value your opinion, I'm a bit on the fence tbh

I'll have a look at prebiotics again thanks

Ive just been researching Oats but it is not really recommended. What about a tsp of Muesli a day, the Rabbit variety I mean. It certainly won't hurt.
Yea I was thinking that earlier [emoji38] maybe some bad bunny muesli, he'd definitely eat it, it's just whether it disagrees with him is the issue I have
Some people use sunflower seeds to put weight on a rabbit.
That's interesting thanks

Have you ever added alfalfa? I know it is not hay, yet Raven gained a little weight when I added a small amount to his diet after his last dental to encourage him to eat. He still gets lots of greens, hay, and some pellets.
Atticus is unique case, yet rough coat and weight loss suggests worms in some animals.

It is a tough decision to try a treatment when a bunny is happy. Sending vibes he can retain his weight so steroids will not be needed.

Funny you should mention that, I ordered some earlier, I've decided ima kidnap him every night and offer him some. My issue is Clementine loves it, but cannot have any coz bladder sludge (which is touch wood, under control, but yea I'm not letting her have any of it!)

I don't think he has worms tbh, but I just got more panacur for everyone today, always get the dog liquid prescribed when we do vax so they all get it once a year anyway. Unless he's had worms for 4 years and panacur has never killed them? He's had a few month long courses of it in that time too coz Clementine actually has EC, but it's not active currently.

Yea I'm really hoping it won't come to that tbh! Thank you

Back