• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfred bunny at emergency hospital.

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Will update everyone in the morning but alfred is now at the emergency hospital. His behaviour was very odd when it was time for him and Flo to come in at 9:30pm and he just lay flat on the ground. I picked him up and thought I’d lost him. He was very lethargic.
Rushed him straight to the out of hours hospital vet.
Triage diagnosis at this stage is stasis. That must have come on incredibly fast because he walloped down a chunk of banana at 5:30 when I came in from work.
He’s on critical meds - fluids etc. Gut movement slow. But the vet seemed very positive.
Hopefully I won’t get any calls through the night and just an update at 7:30am tomorrow.
Flo is very upset - she doesn’t know what’s happened so will be sleeping downstairs with her.
Craig xx

How awful for you all. You take such good care of the bunnies. It is so unfair that you have another worry, though you got him very quick medical attention which is a positive. Sending vibes for you all.

Oh poor Alfred :cry: I'm sorry he's feeling ill, Craig. Sending tonnes of healing vibes for him. xxxxx

Really sorry to hear this Craig, hoping he's had a good night, sending him lots of vibes xx

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and wishes. They are very much appreciated. I'll update you on what happened.
It's 6:30am Friday now. The emergency vet last night said she would update me before handover to our normal vets between 7:30am and 8am this morning, notwithstanding any issues during the night. Of course things can happen once you hand your rabbit over to the care of the professionals. Everything can happen and we all hope above everything else that nothing does happen. I would be lying if I didn't say that it hasn't been a long and lonely night, not just for me but importantly Alfred and Flo. I've had maybe an hour or possibly 2 hours sleep max. Sitting downstairs willing the phone not to go, my mind runnning wild with all sorts of things.
Last night was to put it mildly, surreal. We let Flo and Alfred out every evening when we get home from work - around 5:30. Both bunnies zoom out to the garden, Alfred usually leading the way. We keep a close eye on them and then at about 8pm, Alfred comes back in to pester us for the snuffle mat & treats. Having scoffed that, he then goes back outside to join Flo. He has quite the cheeky side. Then about 9:15-9:30 we 'encourage them' back inside and there's usually a bit of shenannigans but they know it's time to come in and all is well.
Last night, Alfred was lying on the patio - which to be fair he would usually do. But when it came to try to get him up to move, he just lay there almost as if he was glued to the bricks. He eventually moved but went behind the old guinea pig hutch and my wife had to physically pick him up at which point I thought "this is odd". Alfred is not a cuddle bunny and is not really a picky-uppy sort of bun. My wife gave him to me and he just looked all wrong. He was listless, limp and not protesting. My gut was telling me this was wrong but my head was telling me "it can't be wrong because there was no indication of it to be wrong".
I gently checked him for any injuries, wounds etc. He didn't protest or move. As I held him, it just felt all wrong, and awful memories came flooding back of previous bunnies I've held like this and the outcome from them. In absence of any obvious injuries, we knew we had to rush him to the vet even though this was very much out of hours. The odd thing was, Alfred had scoffed a small chunk of my banana at tea time - he can smell a banana from a mile away. So I was, at that point, in my mind, ruling out stasis.
I have to admit I did not for one minute expect to even get to the vet. I thought Alf would pass in the carrier. It was just gone 10pm.
We got to the vet and we handed Alfred over to the triage vet and took our place in the waiting room. My mind was going to all sorts of bad places.
After what seemed an eternity, we were called in to see the vet and to be fair, her demeanour was quite positive.
We went through the events and she said that Alfreds tummy was quite slow and felt bloated which, at that stage, based on those pieces of evidence, suggested stasis as the primary without any other indications of anything else possibly at play. The vet explained stasis can be brought on very quickly because I was still struggling with how Alfred had scoffed the banana only a few hours earlier. The vet found no injuries and as no bloods were taken nor any x-rays performed, they couldn't rule out anything else but were led to believe this was stasis. Alfred is moulting and it is suspected that this could be a partial cause - if it is stasis.
They put Alfred on fluids and meds and said he would be spending the night there - which I was expecting and was also grateful for, but also very sad because Alfred would be feeling alone, scared and wondering what was happening in his world. We were quoted some truly jaw dropping costs for things like x-rays etc if these were needed at night but Alfred is insured and our understanding is that this would cover these things. And the out of hours vet service do direct claim fromthe insurance company so fingers crossed. And with that, we thanked the vet and said our goodbyes and drove back here. It all felt like one big awful nightmare. I said to my wife I thought this was a bad dream and couldn't believe this was happening.
Flo of course was extremely confused. She had snuggled up to the snuggle bun but she was looking actively for Alfred and we didn't feel it was right to take Flo with Alfred. So I made the decision to sleep downstairs with Flo so that she at least had the psychological support that someone else was with her. Of course, when I needed to get up to go to the loo, Flo was somewhat startled so both she and I have had a very unsleep night.
So, it's now just gone 7am. No phone call and I must get ready to go to work and find some red bull or something to stay awake. I will get a phone call in the next hour so I will update you all when I get to work - an update I hope which is positive. What I can say is that so far I haven't heard anything so this is a sort of positive in a weird sort of way.
Thank you again for reading and for being there to listen to my thoughts and for sending your wishes, love and support.
Craig xx

Sending lots of vibes for Alfred. I hope you get some positive news from your vets soon.

Ok - here’s the update. Wife just phoned me as vet rang my wife’s number not mine. It’s a bit of a mixed bag so bear with.
Alf was doing ok at the start of his hospitalisation, stable and so on. Then halfway through the night he crashed. Suddenly and quickly deteriorated. To the point where they thought they would lose him. Glucose level was 23 (I think) and temperature plummeted. Now, this is the bit I don’t have much detail on so I’ll find out later. The vets identified a ‘blockage’ - I don’t know what it was, that’s all I know. I don’t know if they did an X-ray or not - no doubt the bill will show that!
They didn’t operate but obviously treated Alfred with something. He was critical for a while and then by some miracle, he started to turn round.
He has passed quite a few poops - which I feel is very positive, as do the vets. His temperature is back up and he has displayed some ‘resistance’ to attention. In other words, he don’t like being given strokies or cuddles. His tummy is soft, there’s strong gut movement but he’s not eaten anything up to now.
He’s now handed over to our usual vets - but to be fair the out of hours team are brilliant. The out of hours vet feels that if he continues as he is, he can come home today. I will ring the vet later this morning for an update on how he is.
I obviously understand he could still change quickly. Obviously don’t know what this ‘blockage’ is or was but with gut.
Hold on - vet ringing me now. Ok, his gut is full of food - which explains why he’s not hungry. Absolutely full. Vet will continue pain meds. Lucky we brought him in last night as his stomach wound have ruptured without intervention. He is pooping loads now. Obstruction is the likely suspect. They will keep him on fluids to keep his tummy soft so things can work through.
So there we are. He’s obviously munched something he shouldn’t have. I’ve got to now go through the bunny area and remove any suspects. Someone had been chewing the vet bed that they lie on, someone had been recently eating the newspaper I use to line the litter area and he might have been eating some cardboard from the boxes they play in outside.
Alfa tummy still sore and tender so they won’t force him to have food.
I will update later but as it stands Alfred should be able to come home later this evening.
Thank you so very much for all your vibes and wishes and thank you for following and support.
Craig xx

Poor boy, I really hope the obstruction will break down and pass through and that his stomach does not bloat up whilst it is not emptying. He obviously has an uphill battle, but it sounds as though there are small signs of improvement. Sending more vibes x

What an ordeal for all of you :(
Fiver, my minirex, would bloat up like this just eating oat hay...something my other rabbits had no issue eating. We never found out why, he simply couldn't pass it...so it could always be something like that instead of anything sinister. Every bunny is different and we all know how conscientious you are about the bunnies. Please be kind to yourself as you review what he could've ingested. These things just happen sometimes.
Lots more healing vibes on the way for dear Alfred and gentle snuggles for Flo. What a harrowing experience you've all had...hoping it's now completely behind you. xx

Sounds positive Craig, your vets really do sound good, that must be a blessing in itself. Sending loads more vibes he is well and home soon xx

Back