• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So many mini breeds

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
Whats the fascination with all these mini breeds?

Its mini this and mini that and there are so many of them in rescue these days. Pet shops tend to sell mini breeds as well. I've always preferred pure breeds full sized rabbits. There aren't as many and when searching I'm finding endless amounts of mini lops, Highland Dwarfs and other mini breeds. They are everywhere. Why are they so popular?

Whats the fascination with all these mini breeds?

Its mini this and mini that and there are so many of them in rescue these days. Pet shops tend to sell mini breeds as well. I've always preferred pure breeds full sized rabbits. There aren't as many and when searching I'm finding endless amounts of mini lops, Highland Dwarfs and other mini breeds. They are everywhere. Why are they so popular?

Both popular and unpopular with the number in rescues. Many often bought on whim for child's pets for Easter or gifts then left in tiny hutches no freedom and as result poor diets they suffer. As child becomes bored so fast of the animal they thought would be like a cuddly toy

When you say Highland dwarfs do you mean Netherland dwarf?

Both popular and unpopular with the number in rescues. Many often bought on whim for child's pets for Easter or gifts then left in tiny hutches no freedom and as result poor diets they suffer. As child becomes bored so fast of the animal they thought would be like a cuddly toy

When you say Highland dwarfs do you mean Netherland dwarf?

Thats correct Netherland dwarf lol.

I guess with these mini breeds pet shops are trying to make them more like guinea pigs or even hamsters giving the impression that they can live in tiny cages to inexperienced buyers who are just looking for a small fury pet . I don't think I really agree with these mini breeds because its giving the wrong impression of what a rabbit really is. A lot of people are clueless and end up buying one of these mini breeds then ends up in rescue. If more full sized breeds were sold I think that would give people a better idea of what a rabbit really is rather than trying to make them into something they are not. Although saying that all types of animals need plenty of space regardless.

Last edited:
Back