• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greenhouse for Winter ?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
I did a search on the website but couldn’t seem to find an answer… I have a greenhouse and I wondered if it would be okay to use this as a rabbit home during winter?

I mainly thought it would be good to keep out the rain/winds. I realize that for spring, summer, and fall it is not a good idea due to fluctuating temperatures.

I will attach a photo. I was thinking of getting a hutch (lower to the ground) so bun can have the door open and come/go as he pleases. I’ll see if i can attach a photo. Obviously I’d have to bunny proof it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aKYP6AVJcLmEe41z9

Looks like you have a thermometer in there. Do you have any idea what sort of temperature range you get in there in the winter?

How low does your temperature get in the Winter? An unheated greenhouse won't raise the temperature very much above the outside temperature. In fact it would probably be warmer in an unheated shed.

Just seen the pics - you have a summerhouse / conservatory rather than a traditional greenhouse. You will still get temperature fluctuations. Rabbits are OK in the cold if they have adequate shelter, a dry nest area and have had time to acclimatise and grow a winter coat. On the plus side, it will give shelter from wind / rain / snow / predators, and presumably as it's attached to the house, the chance to interact with you. A hutch or similar with the door open / removed will provide a good nest area if it's filled with hay or straw. Bunny also has room to run around safely, which may not be as easy in the middle of winter in the garden.

Right now its’ much too hot and fluctuates too much. But its summer. We just build it this spring so I’m not sure.
My ideal situation for him is that he will bond with my female. But I’m waiting to have him fixed (July 26th) and will introduce them. She lives in a shed free range. so I would love to have him in there as well. But if they don’t get along I will either have them both in there divided by fencing. Or move him into the greenhouse. So I’m exploring all the options.

Oh sorry meant to say in winter it usually doesn’t get colder than -5 degrees celcius. I’m on Vancouver Island, British Columbia in Canada.

Back