• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disinfecting a dead rabbit's cage

una.lekuze

New Kit
Hello there,
Unfortunately my old rabbit Frida died last Thursday. In my country, a necropsy unavailable, so, even though I would like to believe that the heatwave was the problem, I have no way of knowing that for sure.
She was very active and showed no obvious signs of illness.
Problem is- I received a re-homed bunny as a gift, so there is a new bunny coming in.

I treated the whole room and cage with a disinfecting solution and removed the old cage floor. ( Everything else is also brand new).

The solutions I used is a light bleach solution, followed with tons of water and a sanitizing spray ( rubbing alcohol solution).

Is this enough to ensure safety? ( To a reasonable degree, of course, I understand that the situation is not ideal).

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Very sorry for your loss :cry:

Bleach usually kills most bacteria and viruses. Not sure if you have RVHD (Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease )in your Country, but bleach kills that too. Bleach also kills Encephalitozoon Cuniculi spores ( EC) which are shed in the urine of infected Rabbits. So I would say you have done all you can in the circumstances

RVHD disinfecting advice

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/downloads/rhdv-cleaning-guidance.pdf
Thank you so much!

I am so sorry for your loss.
While the new rescue bunny will never replace your angel bunny, it Is nice you can open your heart and home to a rescue bunny who will be lucky to have you in their life.
I had bunnies for many rears before joining ru, yet learned so much and get so much support from the wonderful people here.

I am so sorry for your loss.
While the new rescue bunny will never replace your angel bunny, it Is nice you can open your heart and home to a rescue bunny who will be lucky to have you in their life.
I had bunnies for many rears before joining ru, yet learned so much and get so much support from the wonderful people here.
Thank you so much!
I felt a little nervous about letting the little one in, because of disease control, but so far she is doing well!
Relationships with each bunny are very unique, but I must say, this is my bunny. She is a lot of fun, very active, licks my face, sleeps on my leg, etc.
I really hope she will have a very very long life.
49aaa2850200a391fdb5bf74e6329d25.jpg

Thank you so much!
I felt a little nervous about letting the little one in, because of disease control, but so far she is doing well!
Relationships with each bunny are very unique, but I must say, this is my bunny. She is a lot of fun, very active, licks my face, sleeps on my leg, etc.
I really hope she will have a very very long life.
49aaa2850200a391fdb5bf74e6329d25.jpg

What a pretty girl :love:

Aww she is beautiful, she's a lucky bunny and I'm sure she will have a very happy life with you :D

What a lovely bunny :love: I'm sorry that you lost Frida :(
Thank you so much.
Yes, still hard to believe that Frida is gone.
She had a great appetite and was relatively active even during the heat, so I am puzzled as to what happened. Maybe she ran around too much and overexerted herself.

Your little.lionhead is adorable. I currently have two lionhead (also a dwarf and a mini rex) so I know how easy they are to love!
Does she have a name yet?

Your little.lionhead is adorable. I currently have two lionhead (also a dwarf and a mini rex) so I know how easy they are to love!
Does she have a name yet?
I am still searching for the perfect name, but I think maybe Elizabeth or Diana? What do you think?
She was called Princess in her old home, but I think that it is a little bit too simple for her:D.
So I am trying to think of a royal who had a black to slate gray ombre[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Back