• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

should I worry?! cos I am...

ollie

Warren Scout
As you lot know, Ollie is my first rabbit, and I'm always discovering new things but... :oops:

When I went to get Ollie out of her hutch this morning, there was odd shaped poo in her bedding. :shock: She had done her normal little poo's but there were some that were about 1-1hlf inch long and about 1-2 cm thick (not runny, normal colour). I've never seen these before and am getting a bit worried. I have tried to ring my vet for advise but he is out on call and wont be in the surgery til late this evening. She seems fine in herself but I cant help worrying somethings wrong...
Come on guys... what shall I do?! :?

Is the bunny ok? im not an expert but if the bunny is being normal and not in distresh dont worry. Could it have been lots of little poos squished together?

hi there could it be the first poos, the ones they are suppose to re eat , did it look like a bunch od grapes?

no, it was definatly 1 big poop, this was my first though (that it could be lots together).
I could take a pic if it helps?? (not to pleasent I know - but I'm really worried)

prepare yourself...

olliesoddpoo.JPG

what do you think?

That looks like cecal pellets to me squashed together a bit - I wouldn't worry unless lots more turn up or there are any other unusual symptoms...

Vera

wouldnt there be hair contained within the poop? There is nothing, just like what a normal poop contains (not as dry though).
:cry: :cry:

Cecal pellets are dark brown, not fibrey looking like normal poops, and smooth and shiny. Is that what they look like? The picture certainly does.

LurcherGirl said:
Cecal pellets are dark brown, not fibrey looking like normal poops, and smooth and shiny. Is that what they look like? The picture certainly does.

yes, that is definatly what they look like! Thank You - I'll be keeping a very close eye on her anyway - just to keep my mind at rest!

She's her usual naughty little self - she's just shredded my bro's £50 gift voucher when I wasnt looking!! :oops:

LurcherGirl said:
That looks like cecal pellets to me squashed together a bit - I wouldn't worry unless lots more turn up or there are any other unusual symptoms...

Vera

I'd definately say this is what it is, usually looks like grapes but when all squashed up they look like this, mine have had them that look exactly like this before they started having Science Selective.

what causes cecal pellets? are they something to worry about (can you tell I worry an awful lot) :?

Don't worry Ollie. Usually the rabbit eats the ceacal poos. Occassionally they make excess ceacals and dont eat them, or if they have eaten alot of food and are full up they might not eat them.
My rabbit used to get alot of excess ceacals when he was on burgess excel but now he's on science selective I never see any so guessing he eats them all. I also probably feed him slightly less pellets than I used to.

Caecal pellets are their "night droppings", the ones they eat straight from their little bums. It's a way of "recycling" the nutrients, and getting the most out of them, they pass out a second time as the hard, round droppings you usually see.

Back