Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 year old Spayed female - Hard to bond?

Default 9 year old Spayed female - Hard to bond?

Hi, all I have a 9 year old female who lost her partner quite a few years ago now. I initially wanted to bond her with another male, but sadly she rejected 2 males and 1 female. Iím wondering if its worth the stress to try to bond her with another spayed female who is a year old?

Iím scared due to her age and her past reactions that she will be totally stressed out. I could house the other female separately if that happens but she would still be near my bunnyís space. IĒm scared even that might be too stressful for her.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Is your 9 year old Doe spayed ? If not bonding with a much younger Doe will be a big challenge, even if the younger Doe is spayed.Even spayed Does can be very territorial, so if your 9 year old is spayed this fact could still be an issue and more likely to occur if the other Rabbit is a much younger Doe.

An older, calm, neutered Buck is the most likely to work out. But there are no guarantees.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

yes my bunny is spayed, as is the potential partner.

Wise Old Thumper

When you say she rejected a couple of males, were you introducing them in a neutral area as females are very territorial. I would agree with Jane (IM) that an older neutered boy would perhaps work best.

It was a neutral area but sadly I would have to move them into an non neutral area once bonded because she lives free range in an outbuilding. But she wouldn’t accept either males or one female at all. She is a very strong personality.

I’ve decided to just let her be as she is…. being that she is 9 years old I’m scared to stress her out.

thank you for the advice.

I just thought of something…would it be okay to house them together but with a divider? So at least they can have some interaction? or would this be too upsetting still for Henri?

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn's Bunny View Post
    I just thought of something…would it be okay to house them together but with a divider? So at least they can have some interaction? or would this be too upsetting still for Henri?
    Some people use the ‘living next door’ to each other for a few weeks prior to attempting bonding. So you could have them living side by side and see how things go. Make sure they can’t nip each other through the divider you use.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

I’ve found a young male that needs a home so I”m going to do the side by side living before I attempt any bonding. Hopefully she will be happy to have someone to communicate with that knows her language.

Good luck, hope all goes well
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

well, my new boy, is doing great and seems quite happy outside. While my old gal is refusing to go outside at all. She is in a large outbuilding but has access to the yard where his cage is right now But it is surrounded by an additional fencing so they can’t actually touch each other at this point.

I thought she’d at least be curious. Nope just wanted to sleep. lol.