• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving medication - tips please

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hi,

Harribunny, who will be 11 on Friday and has arthritis in his jaw making him very sore around the mouth, has a probable UTI. He’s been prescribed baytril. Historically he’s taken it on some banana but he’s refusing. He puts up such a fight if I try to bunrito him because it’s really painful for him if I have to grab his mouth to squirt it in. Has anyone got any ideas for how to get it down him please?

Thanks for any help!

Are there any other fruits or veg he will eat that you could put the baytril on or on a pellet would be eat that or would he know

Agree with Mini lop1, try mixing it in other foods such as grated carrot and apple. Baytril can be given by injection, but good injection skills are needed to avoid the common side effect of ‘ Baytril Burn’. So the Vet might only agree to injections if you take him in to the Surgery every day to have it done.

Baytril does smell and taste awful, so the Vet might agree to changing the abx to Co-Trimoxazole which is effective for UTIs and it smells and tastes like banana.

I did injections before when oral was not readily available. Some bunnies got the Bunny burn Jane mentioned.

Try to suck up correct dose of baytril, then suck up something bunny would like to eat. Also, if you put syringe in mouth slightly to side you avoid incisors syringe which may be more comfortable. I use a 1ml/cc oral syringe.

Thanks everyone, I will try the grated treats option. Want to leave having to physically give it him myself to last resort so I don’t have to hold his mouth open and potentially cause more problems by hurting his jaw.

Thanks everyone, I will try the grated treats option. Want to leave having to physically give it him myself to last resort so I don’t have to hold his mouth open and potentially cause more problems by hurting his jaw.

If you use a 1ml syringe you shouldn’t need to hold his mouth open. You just gently push the syringe into the side of his mouth in the gap just behind his incisors

He's too much of a squirmer, he won't stay still unless you hold him - even fully bunritoed he manages to move his head to avoid it :cry:

Is there someone who can hold him so you have two hands free. One to keep his head still and the other to administer the meds ?

Yes, we're failing even with two of us - one of us holding him, the other trying to keep his head still and push syringe in - he just really, really doesn't want you to touch his head and will fight tooth and nail to prevent you getting the syringe anywhere near. Even the vet and vet nurse have struggled and although they did manage I think they ended up just grabbing his head really hard which hurt him :( I know he needs the medicine but I also don't want him to stop eating because his jaw hurts again. Will be offering medicine-laced grated treats later and will report back how it goes!

Yes, we're failing even with two of us - one of us holding him, the other trying to keep his head still and push syringe in - he just really, really doesn't want you to touch his head and will fight tooth and nail to prevent you getting the syringe anywhere near. Even the vet and vet nurse have struggled and although they did manage I think they ended up just grabbing his head really hard which hurt him :( I know he needs the medicine but I also don't want him to stop eating because his jaw hurts again. Will be offering medicine-laced grated treats later and will report back how it goes!

If he won’t eat any food with Baytril in I would request having it administered by injection.

Back