• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hurt my own bun - feel sick

Gosh - poor Rupert. I would imagine a slight fracture is just as it says - a small crack. As far as I can tell, the maxilla bone is the part of the skull that runs from the eye socket to the nose - inside a rabbits mouth it’s the part of the upper jaw between the front insisors and the back teeth. It might explain Ruperts issue eating hat as he’ll be using the back teeth to grind.
It was a pure accident - you acted immediately and your vet has done due dilligence. Bones heal quite quickly - bodies have adapted to healing internally so the pain relief for a few weeks should help Rupert with the discomfort and he will be bouncing about as if nothing happened in a few weeks.
Sending more vibes for Rupert - he has a very good vet. And some hugs for you. Don’t beat yourself up. It was a simple accident and Rupert is ok. A bit sore but he will be ok.

Gosh - poor Rupert. I would imagine a slight fracture is just as it says - a small crack. As far as I can tell, the maxilla bone is the part of the skull that runs from the eye socket to the nose - inside a rabbits mouth it’s the part of the upper jaw between the front insisors and the back teeth. It might explain Ruperts issue eating hat as he’ll be using the back teeth to grind.
It was a pure accident - you acted immediately and your vet has done due dilligence. Bones heal quite quickly - bodies have adapted to healing internally so the pain relief for a few weeks should help Rupert with the discomfort and he will be bouncing about as if nothing happened in a few weeks.
Sending more vibes for Rupert - he has a very good vet. And some hugs for you. Don’t beat yourself up. It was a simple accident and Rupert is ok. A bit sore but he will be ok.

Thank you, I found some images when I used the correct spelling and got a better idea. Hopefully won't be too long before he can eat hay, and hopefully no dental issues in the interim. He was munching on a hay cookie last night so might just ensure he has a ready supply of those. I'm very lucky that he thinks metacam is a treat so happily takes it from me! Not quite sure what the vet made of the whole thing but I'm sure they see some crazy stuff.

Thank you, I found some images when I used the correct spelling and got a better idea. Hopefully won't be too long before he can eat hay, and hopefully no dental issues in the interim. He was munching on a hay cookie last night so might just ensure he has a ready supply of those. I'm very lucky that he thinks metacam is a treat so happily takes it from me! Not quite sure what the vet made of the whole thing but I'm sure they see some crazy stuff.

Oh poor lad, I hope the fracture will heal well

p4c9mAg.jpg

Now that you know what is wrong, you can give medicam and adjust his diet so he soon heals. I hope you can find a way to forgive yourself. It could happen to anyone.

Oh I'm sorry the X ray showed something. I see animals with fractures at work which heal well on their own x

Hugs. We all have accidents. The previous owner of Bing bunny broke his leg, I took him and his leg had to be amputated, of course she felt really bad. She still keeps in contact with me. X

Thank you all. He seems OK in himself although he's more quiet than normal. He has eaten dry porridge oats, soaked pellets, critical care and a tiny bit of broccoli. Not the ideal diet but I'm just trying to get him to eat whatever he can. He tried to eat a bit of dandelion root but he just chewed it loads and then dropped it, i think it's too hard for him. He has to go to boarding this afternoon as I'm away this weekend and although the lady is brilliant I know I'm going to spend all weekend worried sick about him.

Last edited:
I hope Rupert had a good weekend and is improving. While I know you will never fully forgive yourself for this accident-even though you should-at least you can relax once he heals. Sending more hugs.

Back