• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hurt my own bun - feel sick

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Hi all

I haven't posted for a while here so apologies for coming here begging for healing vibes. I was cleaning my rabbits' litter tray this morning sitting on the floor, I had to lean forward briefly and when I sat back down I've accidentally sat down on Rupert's head. He didn't squeal or make a noise but there was a horrible popping sound. I've tried feeling around his jaw and it feels OK but he can't pick up treats or food unless it's really small. He's hiding behind a chair which is unusual for him. About to call the vet as they've just opened but am really worried I've done something to hurt him :cry:

Hi all

I haven't posted for a while here so apologies for coming here begging for healing vibes. I was cleaning my rabbits' litter tray this morning sitting on the floor, I had to lean forward briefly and when I sat back down I've accidentally sat down on Rupert's head. He didn't squeal or make a noise but there was a horrible popping sound. I've tried feeling around his jaw and it feels OK but he can't pick up treats or food unless it's really small. He's hiding behind a chair which is unusual for him. About to call the vet as they've just opened but am really worried I've done something to hurt him :cry:

I can understand how upset you must be :( Sending you lots of hugs and also lots of vibes for Rupert. I really hope he's OK. And remember it was an accident.

Sending lots of vibes there's no injury, I'm sorry this happened, it's so easily done anyone (myself included) with house rabbits will have had similar or near misses :(

I am really sorry :cry: Accidents happen, not that,that fact will make you feel any better. I really hope that Rupert has not sustained a serious injury. Sending lots of vibes x

Thank you all, he's just been seen by the vet, they can't feel any fractures, they moved his jaw and he was ok with it. There was a very slight misalignment of his front teeth but he has had dentals before so it could just be "normal" for him. I'm taking him home with pain relief and will give him critical care just to make sure he's eating. If he doesn't improve he has to come back later on for x-rays. On the positive side, he was eating some small treats in his carry box and digging so he must be feeling a bit better.

They also found a cataract in his right eye which I hadn't known about

Last edited:
I have so many times nearly trodden on my housebunnies when they literally got under my feet. I trod on my cat’s tail once. Made him yowl :cry: It feels awful but it was an accident. If he has a cataract perhaps he didn’t notice you when you were sitting down. I’m sure he will be fine but I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I'm so glad they couldn't find anything, I hope he improves lots. It's awful when these things happen, I accidentally kicked Clementine in the side once and she screamed, it was such an awful sound :( I felt absolutely horrendous, and I think she was mega shocked. She was okay tho! Sending lots of vibes for your boy x

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sending millions of vibes for Rupert. Your quick appointment hopefully helped ease the understandable shock and anxiety. I hope Rupert continues to recover and I’m sure some extra treatos won’t go amis. Xx

Thank you again everyone! I did wonder if perhaps he hadn't seen me, the lighting in our house isn't anywhere near as harsh as the vet's so I could see the cataract quite easily there. I never would've guessed as he gets around so well and jumps on everything!

He's had some forage and a tiny bit of chopped up kale, and some critical care with banana baby food as that's his fave! He only eats a bit at a time then goes off to sit quietly before coming back, I'm guessing he's a bit sore from having my big behind land on him! He hasn't done any tooth grinding though which is positive, lots of fuss and yummy food today until he can hopefully start eating a bit more normally.

I hope you're feeling a bit more reassured now that Rupert's been seen by the vet and that he continues to feel better.

They are a nightmare for sneaking up on us. I accidentally kicked Fudgie in the leg yesterday when she suddenly darted out in front of me.

Fingers crossed he perks up and gets less sore as the day goes on.

Honestly it's so easy to do this accidentally, the number of times I've only just managed to save myself from colliding with or on Blossom is ridiculous!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Glad Ruperts been seen by the vet, and is enjoying some treats. I too have trodden on George's tail, and made him squeel, happens so quickly, but you feel so bad. Fingers crossed Ruperts soon back to normal x

He is doing much better, I soaked some nuggets for him and he's eaten them now and also did a little honk at me! The only thing he hasn't eaten is hay but I can imagine if he has a sore mouth he doesn't really want to spend time chewing his hay. Hopefully panic now over, thank you all for your positive vibes, both Rupert and I are very grateful!

He is doing much better, I soaked some nuggets for him and he's eaten them now and also did a little honk at me! The only thing he hasn't eaten is hay but I can imagine if he has a sore mouth he doesn't really want to spend time chewing his hay. Hopefully panic now over, thank you all for your positive vibes, both Rupert and I are very grateful!

Hope he will be 100% back to normal soon x

I know how awful you must feel even though it was an accident. He may just need a little time to get back to normal. Sending vibes he makes a full recovery with meds to reduce pain/inflammation.
Sending you and Rupert gentle hugs.

UPDATE - Rupert has a fractured skull!

Hi all

I took Rupert in for x-rays this morning following our accident. He has been very bright and happy, no teeth grinding but I noticed he was still struggling to eat hay and other more substantial treats e.g. chicory root etc. The vet has called me and he has a slight fracture of his maxillar(spelling?) bone. I'm not an expert but apparently it's the top of his head? They said it could've been much worse but my goodness do I feel AWFUL! He's been prescribed metacam for 3 weeks and then a re-check, they feel he should recover without any intervention. I'm never sitting down without checking behind me again!

Ps I don't know if anyone has any images of where this bone is? Tried looking on Google but got confused with the results.

Back