• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding male and female

Alb234

New Kit
Hi guys, I have a male and female rabbit, the female has been in a pen in my room for the past week but kept getting out and jumping, so I decided to put them together, the male is neutered but female isn’t, for the last 6 hours the male keeps chasing and trying to mount the female and pulling out some hair but the female keeps running off is this normal?

It is best to wait until both Rabbits are neutered/ spayed and then allow 6-8 weeks for hormones to settle before attempting to bond. That said, it is not impossible to Bond a neutered Buck with a baby Doe, ensuring the Doe is spayed at about 5 months. Even then problems in the initial bond can occur as the Doe hits puberty and then again in the first few weeks after spaying when hormone surges occur. Bonds made as Babies are not true Bonds as the onset of puberty can change everything.

Bonding needs to take place in 100% neutral territory. Chasing is normal in the early stages. As is some fur pulling and humping.

Without knowing the specifics of the bonding you are attempting- ie age of Doe, where you are introducing them, how much space they have, it is impossible to give specific advice.

There is some general Bonding Advice here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/ownership/bonding-rabbits/

Back