• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tramadol (tralieve) and metacam

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I don’t post on here much anymore- life has taken over..

But I wanted some advice, if possible. My bunny had just started on tramadol and metacam. He was previously just on metacam. The tramadol was added a day ago, and Twick vets are shut! Is there anything I should expect! He’s 11, nearly 12, and on the thin side and I’ve noticed his poops are darker since he’s started.

If any of you know when it will take effect, please let me know :)

Thanks as always
X

None of my Rabbits have had any adverse side effects to Tramadol but some Rabbits can become a bit lethargic when on it. Is his poo of normal size and quantity ?

With regards to analgesic effect, I find it kicks in pretty quickly after an oral dose.

Fern was on tramadol and Metacam at the same time and she luckily wasn't lethargic, her poops were a good colour but small as she had a mouth problem. It did help her :)

Joey was on tramadol & a few bunnies many years ago (but I think prescribed post operatively so there wouldn't have been a discernible difference in presentation). Can't recall any issues. Sending well wishes for Zigzag

Is the poo very dark, almost black, and shiny or tar like? If not, and it is just a brown with normal consistency/size just monitor.

Hello all, thanks so much for your replies. His poo is getting more golden, it’s a little smaller but he’s eating normally. Quite typical of me to panic slightly.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your buns. He’s on the tablet form, and I haven’t so far noticed any noticeable improvements, and I realise this sounds a little stupid, but I’m not really sure what I should be seeing?! I guess he won’t be binkying a great deal [emoji23]. He’s not drowsy though, and seems fine in himself.

I’ll monitor progress over the next few days. I’ve included a pic below of him, where he looks like he’s doing some Pilates.

I love him dearly.
8b2c05d373577effeca0725575800d77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you bunny momma, he can do Pilates better than I can too!

Jane- it’s for arthritis yes, the vet mentioned it could be an option we could consider, and as he was having flare ups we put him on it recently. He seems to be moving a bit better, which is positive :love:

Thanks Joey and Boo, I love it too. It would lovely to see him binky again, but who knows x

Thank you bunny momma, he can do Pilates better than I can too!

Jane- it’s for arthritis yes, the vet mentioned it could be an option we could consider, and as he was having flare ups we put him on it recently. He seems to be moving a bit better, which is positive :love:

My Endeavour has Tramadol as well as Metacam if his arthritis is especially bad. It does seem to help him and I am glad it is helping your Bunny too :love:

Oh lovely Endeavour! Does he only have it on occasion then? That’s good to know that’s an option too, rather than long term use.

Oh lovely Endeavour! Does he only have it on occasion then? That’s good to know that’s an option too, rather than long term use.

Yes, only if he has a bad day and Metacam is not enough. He has such an expressive face that from that alone I can tell if his back is hurting him more than usual.

Zigzag’s face is harder to read. But he’s currently chasing his partner far more than usual, which I feel is a very good sign :love:

Zigzag’s face is harder to read. But he’s currently chasing his partner far more than usual, which I feel is a very good sign :love:

Good boy Zigzag :love: as long as Winnie is happy too. Does he still obsessively groom her eyes?

Hi Joey, sorry about the delay. Yes he does- he does it a lot when her eye is worse, or when he’s stressed. We have foster buns living with us, and it increased when they arrived.

It doesn’t cause her any harm, she just doesn’t look great so we’ve learnt to live with it :love:

Back