• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny has no sex organs

We recently adopted a second bunny to be a mate for our neutered male. Adopted bunny was a spayed female. We learned today that when she was “spayed” the vet found no sex organs of any kind. We learned this because I was suspicious that something was off bc she was spraying, humping our other bunny, and peeing ON him. They were bonding well until this weekend when fighting started. I am now in the vet ER with my boy bun and we have separated them. Does anyone have any experience with a bunny with no sex organs? Will bonding be possible? I am going to reach out to a rabbit rescue tomorrow for guidance but thought I’d ask here, too.

Is bunny possibly a male with testicles that did not decend? Young males are often misidentified female.
Sending healing vibes to your boy.

It sounds like your "spayed" female is actually a male. I would have a look to see if he has testicles and a penis. Poor boy!

Heading to the vet with her today to see if they can figure out the sex. The woman we adopted her from gave us the receipt from the vet who did her spaying which said “female” but I now think that this was just what is autofilled on a spay receipt. She did not tell us anything about the issue we discovered yesterday. I hope they can still bond.

Boy bunny (Mr. MacFluffington) is doing fine. He is back to free roaming on the main floor of our house and seems pleased that the interloper is being kept upstairs (for now) :)

Even if paperwork said female, upon discovering no female organs to remove, I would expect a vet to check for male organs.
Glad your neutered boy is ok.

Did the person you got him from have any other rabbits? She may have given you papers for another rabbit, along with a sob story. At least you know he's a perfectly normal bunny, although you are left with a problem you didn't need, and a problematic bond as there has already been a fight.

Yes. She gave me the receipt. It has her name and number and a photo of the bunny. It’s a real receipt for this bunny. I called the vet’s office that did the surgery and spoke to them myself. The vet tech said they did surgery and could not find any sex organs. This conversation happened before I learned from my current vet that the rabbit has testicles 😩

It seems to be a combination of a inept vet and a deceitful owner. I think she thought she had a bunny with no sex organs (that’s what the vet told her) and kept that to herself when she rehomed the bunny to us.

I hope bonding will go better once he is neutered. While it is unfortunate your other bunny needed medical attention because of this error, it is good he did not sustain serious physical injuries. Though he may have emotional trauma.

Back