• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis-prone rabbit diet

RaisinP

New Kit
Hello,

I have a 3 year old dutch house rabbit called Pepper who gets gas/stasis a few times a year. I am currently trying to give her a wild rabbit diet which will prevent gas and also make her live as long as possible.

She has always been a poor hay eater, but since the spring she eats two small tubs of grass a day with some clover and dandelion leaves, and will barely touch hay: I have tried her with small pet select, Just4Rabbits, haybox, healthy herby, bunny bistro, happy hay co., hay hutch, little hay co., hay and straw, timothyhay.co.uk and pet shop hays. The only ones she will slightly nibble are soft cut timothy from haybox and Canadian timothy from Just4rabbits. I also sprinkle forage on her hay, I rotate them but at the moment she has dandelion leaves and sunflower leaves.

She also has 1 tbsp pellets/day from haybox club as these have more wild grass/plants ingredients. I am trying to increase her hay intake by soaking the pellets in water and mixing with chopped up hay and a scoop of Oropharma pro-digest probiotics to create a mushy mixture- she eats one small food bowl of this a day. She hasn't had stasis since upping the grass intake (except for when I went away for a few days and had someone else look after her), however her poops are quite small/medium sized and dark and sometimes smell bad- is this a sign of a bad diet low in fibre? I am considering trying a better probiotic such as protexin bio-lapis.

I am thinking of abandoning the idea that her diet must be strictly wild in favour of maximising her fibre intake. After a bout of stasis, I previously tried her on a diet similar to Jack's Jane 2015 post 'This is What my Rabbits Now Have Instead of Pellet/Museli Feed'- I soaked some dengie hi-fi molasses-free, crushed up fibafirst sticks and protexin probiotic pellets and fed her a small bowl every day, this gave her huge poops. I didn't stick with it very long and slowly transitioned back to a wild diet as the ingredients weren't very good, such as: alfalfa and straw pellets, cereal straw, rapeseed oil (dengie), wheat flour, soybean flower, ground peas, locust bean meal, oats, linseed soya oil, salt (fibafirst), wheat, soya bean hulls, oats, sugar beet pulp (protexin). I am now considering if it is perhaps best to go back to this diet despite the ingredients as the benefits may out-way the bad ingredients.

Does anyone have any advice/opinions on whether I should stick with a wild rabbit diet or change to a more artificial high-fibre diet? On the one hand I want her to live as long as possible so would like to avoid bad ingredients that could give her ill health in the future, but on the other hand I don't want her to get gas. I was thinking how my dad had a rabbit in the 80s and he would feed it bowls of porridge and bran in the winter and it lived to 12, and maybe specific ingredients like grains don't matter as much as a high-fibre diet?

Thanks for your help :)

The dark colour of her poop is almost certainly due to her having grass and wild plants rather than hay. My rabbits' poops is darker this time of the year than in the winter when a far greater percentage of their diet is hay. I'm not concerned by this. The size would increase if she ate more hay or hay-based products. If she has shown a preference for the soft-cut from haybox, it would be worth trying her with a soft timothy from a different supplier. In my experience rabbits can be incredibly picky when it comes to preferences for hay. Have you tried hay cookies for her to nibble?

My rabbits get a diet based on wild plants and hay with a very small amount of pellets. I am a big fan of tree leaves and use these almost daily. Any rabbit-safe trees are suitable and this time of the year most trees have succulent new leaves which seem to be tasty. We feed Hawthorn, Hazel, Ash and Willow mainly. The tree sticks are also beneficial and they eat the thinner ones whole. Do you feed Bramble leaves? These are supposed to be very beneficial for a rabbit's digestion and they are popular.

Thanks for your reply Omi. That is good to know the colour of her poos are normal for this time of year, there is a lot of hype about having large 'golden poos' but if she is avoiding gas and seems healthy then I don't think I am concerned. Thanks for your suggestions, I haven't tried hay cookies or bramble leaves, I will definitely give these a go and see if I can find any tree leaves. She was doing well on the grass aside from the one recent stasis episode which I think was stress from me being away as she is used to always being around me. What do you think about increasing her hay intake through hay-based products such as fibafirst with 30% fibre, but which also have some other questionable ingredients?

Thanks for your reply Omi. That is good to know the colour of her poos are normal for this time of year, there is a lot of hype about having large 'golden poos' but if she is avoiding gas and seems healthy then I don't think I am concerned. Thanks for your suggestions, I haven't tried hay cookies or bramble leaves, I will definitely give these a go and see if I can find any tree leaves. She was doing well on the grass aside from the one recent stasis episode which I think was stress from me being away as she is used to always being around me. What do you think about increasing her hay intake through hay-based products such as fibafirst with 30% fibre, but which also have some other questionable ingredients?

I would definitely continue with the grass. It is equally as good as hay, if not better as it also contains moisture. I feed Fibafirst and each rabbit gets one stick per day. Which ingredients do you consider questionable? I wouldn't use Fibafirst in preference to hay though as it contains many more calories and so a rabbit can easily fill up on them and then not eat hay.

I agree you're not going to get golden poops with a hay & forage based diet. Uniform poop size & good texture are more important than colour. I recognise that huge list of hay brands & types having also had less enthusiastic hay chompers . Whilst I agree natural diet is best & a good goal for buns with digestive issues I don't think its the end of the world if you need to add commercial products in to the mix. If you are able to ID & locate some Ribwort plantain thats about 24% fibre & most buns love it. There is loads about just now

Thanks for the fibrafirst ingredient list BTW - didn't realise they had so much non hay in them

I wasn't sure about the wheat and soya bean flour mostly in the Fibafirst as I had the impression grains and soya weren't natural for bunnies? However they are timothy hay based so are probably fine as a supplement, I might try them again just to boost her fibre intake slightly. I agree that grass is great, she doesn't drink as much water now but is getting nutrient rich moisture from the grass, plus her ears are warm all the time- I'm not sure if this is a good thing but they go so cold when she's in stasis. Thank you joey&boo, I think I might try my best to stick to a natural/wild diet primarily, but may add a few commercial high-fibre add-ons to be on the safe side. I have heard great things about protexin pro-fibre pellets and Fibafirst despite their ingredients. She has had ribwort plantain before and loves it so I will put some on my next order! Thank you both so much for your help

My bunnies always have brown poo. I want poos to be medium or larger and of the proper consistency. A fresh poo should be friable. It should crumble when rolled between your fingers. If poo is very firm it may be from inadequate fiber, not drinking enough, and slow gi movement from medical conditions.
Every bunny is different. Some cannot tolerate same items as others. One thing I suggest is consistency, or slow changes in diet.
My Heidi gets Fibafirst which she enjoys to replace most of her pellets as she does not eat enough hay.

I am wondering if you have tried very coarse Timothy hay as all my Rabbits really like it and would prefer it over Meadow hay if they had the choice. It isn't very hand friendly though! Also, has your Bunny had his/her teeth checked in particular the molars? You could also try a few less Pellets and I have noticed they eat better when they have a friend, although this may not be possible.

I think her poos might be too small and dark, they are not large or uniform and sort of misshapen and not very friable. I think she needs more fibre so I will slowly change her pellets to Fibafirst as she is definitely not a big hay eater either, and they have added vitamins like pellets. Thank you for your suggestions, I will change very gradually so as not to upset her tummy.

I am wondering if you have tried very coarse Timothy hay as all my Rabbits really like it and would prefer it over Meadow hay if they had the choice. It isn't very hand friendly though! Also, has your Bunny had his/her teeth checked in particular the molars? You could also try a few less Pellets and I have noticed they eat better when they have a friend, although this may not be possible.

She has tried the small pet select 1st cut timothy and doesn't like this, where do you get your coarse timothy? She has had her teeth checked quite recently and they said everything was fine. I am worried about getting her a friend, she is a spayed female but humps and rips the fur out of her stuffed toys...I am scared of what she would do to a real rabbit! She lives in my bedroom with me and I study from home so is constantly around me so I never worried about companionship, but I didn't realise having another rabbit might help her to eat better...

She has tried the small pet select 1st cut timothy and doesn't like this, where do you get your coarse timothy? She has had her teeth checked quite recently and they said everything was fine. I am worried about getting her a friend, she is a spayed female but humps and rips the fur out of her stuffed toys...I am scared of what she would do to a real rabbit! She lives in my bedroom with me and I study from home so is constantly around me so I never worried about companionship, but I didn't realise having another rabbit might help her to eat better...

I'm a big fan of timothyhay.co.uk. My rabbits have been loving their https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/copy-of-2015-10kg-of-timothy-hay fora long time now. They are excellent hay eaters, but when I decided to get them a change and got them this https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/2019-orchard-grass, it appears that they are eating just as enthusiastically, but the hay is not going down so fast, so they actually aren't.

I notice that they now have oat hay again https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/copy-of-2016-10kg-of-timothy-hay They also have recently introduced an extra stalkyhttps://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/copy-of-2018-9kg-of-timothy-hay

I think if I was in your position, I would email Gavin at timothyhay.co.uk and ask if he would put together a mixed pack of perhaps the oat, the original timothy and the extra stalky timothy. They are a very good company to deal with and always try to be helpful.

I'm a big fan of timothyhay.co.uk. My rabbits have been loving their https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/copy-of-2015-10kg-of-timothy-hay fora long time now. They are excellent hay eaters, but when I decided to get them a change and got them this https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/2019-orchard-grass, it appears that they are eating just as enthusiastically, but the hay is not going down so fast, so they actually aren't.

I notice that they now have oat hay again https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/copy-of-2016-10kg-of-timothy-hay They also have recently introduced an extra stalkyhttps://www.timothyhay.co.uk/products/copy-of-2018-9kg-of-timothy-hay

I think if I was in your position, I would email Gavin at timothyhay.co.uk and ask if he would put together a mixed pack of perhaps the oat, the original timothy and the extra stalky timothy. They are a very good company to deal with and always try to be helpful.

I bought some samples from there about a year ago, but can't remember what she thought of them...I emailed them a couple of months ago asking if they had any samples, and they said unfortunately they aren't sending any out but if I purchased one of their hays they could add some to the order. I may try asking again though and explain my situation...
The only issue I have is they seem to only do minimum 8.5kg bales and I am not sure where to store such a large amount, and with one poor-hay-eating bunny it may last ages!
How quickly do your bunnies get through one bale in the spring/summer when they are also eating grass/wild plants?
Although, they are good value and if she likes the samples I think I would just have to find a place!

I bought some samples from there about a year ago, but can't remember what she thought of them...I emailed them a couple of months ago asking if they had any samples, and they said unfortunately they aren't sending any out but if I purchased one of their hays they could add some to the order. I may try asking again though and explain my situation...
The only issue I have is they seem to only do minimum 8.5kg bales and I am not sure where to store such a large amount, and with one poor-hay-eating bunny it may last ages!
How quickly do your bunnies get through one bale in the spring/summer when they are also eating grass/wild plants?
Although, they are good value and if she likes the samples I think I would just have to find a place!

My two bunnies take about 4 weeks to get through 8.5kgs in the Summer, when they've also got wild plants and grass.

I might be wrong, but I think they are happy to provide a mixed bale (rather than samples). Perhaps send Graciee a PM - I think she's said that she has had this from timothyhay.co.uk

Where her teeth checked under sedation? Conscious vet cannot see back teeth well enough to rule out dental issues.

My two bunnies take about 4 weeks to get through 8.5kgs in the Summer, when they've also got wild plants and grass.

I might be wrong, but I think they are happy to provide a mixed bale (rather than samples). Perhaps send Graciee a PM - I think she's said that she has had this from timothyhay.co.uk

Thanks, that would be good to get a variety of hays in one bale I will look into that :)

The dark colour of her poop is almost certainly due to her having grass and wild plants rather than hay. My rabbits' poops is darker this time of the year than in the winter when a far greater percentage of their diet is hay. I'm not concerned by this. The size would increase if she ate more hay or hay-based products. If she has shown a preference for the soft-cut from haybox, it would be worth trying her with a soft timothy from a different supplier. In my experience rabbits can be incredibly picky when it comes to preferences for hay. Have you tried hay cookies for her to nibble?

My rabbits get a diet based on wild plants and hay with a very small amount of pellets. I am a big fan of tree leaves and use these almost daily. Any rabbit-safe trees are suitable and this time of the year most trees have succulent new leaves which seem to be tasty. We feed Hawthorn, Hazel, Ash and Willow mainly. The tree sticks are also beneficial and they eat the thinner ones whole. Do you feed Bramble leaves? These are supposed to be very beneficial for a rabbit's digestion and they are popular.

thanks for informations. What you wrote helped me a lot.

Back