Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 145

Thread: PLEASE HELP Dental problems and not eating:Vet suggested potential PTS

  1. #11

    Default

    Thank you. He normally really enjoys the recovery so until thursday he'd just willingly eat it straight. When he started to go off it I missed in some banana & strawberry baby food puree and it helped a bit but then he stopped and wont take anything. I'll keep trying. Thank you <3

    I just have no idea honestly. I feel like he was fine so recently so it feels such a shock to even be considering PTS, but I know things happen quickly with rabbits and obviuosly he's got dental problems already. It's just so hard

  2. #12
    Forum Buddy Pets mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    13,072

    Default

    I'm so sorry that you and Ian are struggling at the moment, and for your recent loss of Puck. I agree keep going over the weekend, a feisty bunny shows he still has fight in him. You are doing a great job, really hope he turns a corner xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    I'm so sorry that you and Ian are struggling at the moment, and for your recent loss of Puck. I agree keep going over the weekend, a feisty bunny shows he still has fight in him. You are doing a great job, really hope he turns a corner xx
    Thank you! To try to reduce stress I was force feeding him on the floor but he was trying to hp away so have started doing it on the counter and he's more compliant, but seems to be eating and swallowing, then once I put him back in the cage he manages to spit a chunk out (thicker than when it goes in so presumably he's at least getting some of the nutrients in the liquid?) He's also used to being out and about so is I think frustrated to be being kept in the cage, but it's easier to keep an eye on him and pick him up for feeds if he's in there.

    Every hour is a lot so each time he's more grumpy and refusing to swallow. I'll just keep trying and being as patient as possible. I just really hope that the issue is an infection and the antibiotics are working, but with him already on 2 types of painkillers and still refusing food, is it possible he'll get his appetite back with forcing? Poor bunny

  4. #14
    Forum Buddy Pets mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    13,072

    Default

    Have you tried him on softer stuff, such as grass or fresh herbs. I had a dental bunny who was always slow to get eating again, but fresh herbs dunked in water were always the first thing she'd manage.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pets mum View Post
    Have you tried him on softer stuff, such as grass or fresh herbs. I had a dental bunny who was always slow to get eating again, but fresh herbs dunked in water were always the first thing she'd manage.
    Yes unfortunately we'd tried everything I can think of. In the week after his dental where he had an appetite but was strugglin to chew he ate the occasional bit of kale or parsley but wouldn't really tough anything else. He would also eat a few bits from mixed dandelion salad and the occasional dandelion head, so I thought we were making progress (but slowly). On thursday when he started to go off even his favourites I blended up some green veg and herbs and he ate some of that quite happily but after a few hours even that wouldnt tempt him. He's always LOVED fibreplex and even that he wouldn't touch this morning but he would take his metacam. Now he wont take anything at all without force (and is pushing bits out of his mouth even after it looks like he's swallowed). I even tried a drop of metacam to see if he'd have that but he wouldn't. I think even though he's spitting some out I'm managing to get about 10ml into him an hour. But he gets to a point where he just clenches his jaw and if I squeeze food in he'll hold it for a min then spit it out. And the time for him to get to that point is reducing.

    When I put him back in the cage just now he started nibbling at hay but I think he's just biting and dropping (maybe angrily?) and he has cleaned his chin. He also stamped his foot when I put him back which made me feel like there's fight left in him. I've tried fresh grass and he wont touch it, but tbh he's never been very interested in fresh grass. He's got a little piece of banana, some readi grass, some protexin fibre nuggets and some fresh herbs in with him (as well as the timothy hay) but hasn't touched anything yet

  6. #16
    Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10,505

    Default

    This might sound controversial, but I would try leaving him alone with a variety of foods for 8 hours. Check on him from a distance, don’t handle him at all or touch him.

    He is obviously very stressed by all the hands on care, giving him a long break from any contact might break the cycle. If he starts to nibble food himself put a plate of softened food in with him, he might lick it from a plate.

    Obviously if he eats absolutely nothing during the 8 hours you are going to have to intervene again. But sometimes a hands off approach can work. Also, Vetergesic/Buprenorphine is an opioid which can suppress the appetite in some Rabbits. It can also make them very drowsy. As the effects of the drug wear off the Rabbit can start to feel hungry again.


    Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    This might sound controversial, but I would try leaving him alone with a variety of foods for 8 hours. Check on him from a distance, don’t handle him at all or touch him.

    He is obviously very stressed by all the hands on care, giving him a long break from any contact might break the cycle. If he starts to nibble food himself put a plate of softened food in with him, he might lick it from a plate.

    Obviously if he eats absolutely nothing during the 8 hours you are going to have to intervene again. But sometimes a hands off approach can work. Also, Vetergesic/Buprenorphine is an opioid which can suppress the appetite in some Rabbits. It can also make them very drowsy. As the effects of the drug wear off the Rabbit can start to feel hungry again.

    That does make sense and sounds like it could work. My worry though is that the vet said he was very dehydrated this morning and I needed to get fluids into him. And I left him for several hours overnight (though I did give him a bit of recovery in the night but didn't have to force at that point) and he's worse today. Do you think now he's had between 60-70ml of recovery today varying in how runny it is, trying to work out how he is happiest to take it) and pain meds he might be ok to be left? He's not drinking on his own so I'm worried about dehydration. No poops since yesterday. Im just really hoping that tomorrow once he's had 2 days of antibiotics that the underlying problem will start to ease and the rest will fall into place, but each time I feel hopeful he gets worse

  8. #18
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    6,054

    Default

    I would just let him be in his usual space with access to food and water, and just let him settle for a while. Hourly feeding is stressing you both out. I would struggle to do 2 hourly.

    He won't poo unless he's had some food - no input, no output. Moving about will help with both gut movement and appetite.

  9. #19

    Default

    Ok thank you to you both! He's due some meds at 6 so I'll give him them then leave the cage open so he can move around if he likes and leave him be for a while.

    Thank you!

  10. #20
    Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi1988 View Post
    That does make sense and sounds like it could work. My worry though is that the vet said he was very dehydrated this morning and I needed to get fluids into him. And I left him for several hours overnight (though I did give him a bit of recovery in the night but didn't have to force at that point) and he's worse today. Do you think now he's had between 60-70ml of recovery today varying in how runny it is, trying to work out how he is happiest to take it) and pain meds he might be ok to be left? He's not drinking on his own so I'm worried about dehydration. No poops since yesterday. Im just really hoping that tomorrow once he's had 2 days of antibiotics that the underlying problem will start to ease and the rest will fall into place, but each time I feel hopeful he gets worse
    Did the Vet not give him any fluids under his skin or suggest he was admitted for IV fluids and medicating ?

    If you don’t already do so offer him water from a bowl. Some Sick Rabbits are more likely to drink slightly warm water or water with a dash of unsweetened fruit juice in it.


    Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •