Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP Dental problems and not eating:Vet suggested potential PTS

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Why is he on additional pain relief (ie tramadol or vetergesic)? I've only been given those after major jaw surgery. I usually get permission to increase the metacam for a few days.
    Was he weighed again? It's useful to weigh weekly just to keep track of his general condition and food intake.
    It's a long way off until your vet is on holiday. Fingers crossed Ian is feeling much better by then, even if you are still having to provide some additional support.
    She thinks the reasons he's not chewing/takes a very long time to chew when he does is because of pain from a tooth infection, and because we saw a change from yesterday to this morning when he came of the vetergesic she said to try tramadol (0.1 ml twice a day). I'd already upped his metacam to 0.5 last night and this morning (based on a previous dosage he'd had post surgery) and he seemed less alert and less interested in food this morning and just looked uncomfortable. We've upped the metacam to 0.5 twice a day going forward too but she didn't want to up it too much because of something to do with it and dehydration. He was weighed and was 1.82ish compared to 1.85 last week so not a big change. I'm going to buy some baby scales to weigh him going forward because our method of putting him in a big bowl on our kitchen scales is probably a bit stressful for him at the moment and probably not as accurate.

Our vets last day in is this Thursday so she said I can contact her on that day if I need to but otherwise she told me one of the newer vets has a rabbit himself and has an interest so I might try him if I need to go back while she's gone.

He's had a tiny nibble on some dandelion leaf this evening (I put it right to his mouth and he went to nudge it away then nibbled a bit, so not incredibly enthusiastically but did have a bit).

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Hmm it's a tough one with the pain meds because if he's still in pain then he's going to be very reluctant to eat but tramadol is also an opiate so you're back to the potential issue of him getting too zonked out to eat. I can see where your vet is coming from though as the priority at the moment is pain management. Ian may cope a bit better with the tramadol than he did with the vetergesic and his subdued demeanour might just be down to stress from the vet visit this morning. I'd see how he does over the next couple of days with the tramadol.

Antibiotics sure can take some time to take effect in older rabbit even more so. The healing process it self is slower. The main thing is to treat the cause and have the right combination of meds. The more specilised, exotic vet clinic is the bigger variety of meds they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Hmm it's a tough one with the pain meds because if he's still in pain then he's going to be very reluctant to eat but tramadol is also an opiate so you're back to the potential issue of him getting too zonked out to eat. I can see where your vet is coming from though as the priority at the moment is pain management. Ian may cope a bit better with the tramadol than he did with the vetergesic and his subdued demeanour might just be down to stress from the vet visit this morning. I'd see how he does over the next couple of days with the tramadol.
    He's actually perked up a little now. Still refusing food off me but is nibbling at hay and is definitely chewing at least some of it, not just biting and dropping. Could be the stress easing from the vets or could be the tramadol wearing off as it's 9 hours after his first dose. Will keep an eye on if the pattern happens again after the next dose. It's so sad for him to be annoyed when he sees me, that bit is quite hard. He's been stamping his foot when I walk in the room whereas before he would run over to me and hop round my feet. Just wish I could explain it all to to him!

Bunnies are very forgiving. When medicating or during feeding I always allow plenty of time between bites for some nice rubs and cuddles. Even so, I feel like a bully given our size difference. Then I realize they are tough for their size .
    I have never had a bunny hold a grudge.

Warren Veteran

You and Ian are doing well to keep his weight up, so he must be getting a reasonable amount of food down him. I hope he continues to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Bunnies are very forgiving. When medicating or during feeding I always allow plenty of time between bites for some nice rubs and cuddles. Even so, I feel like a bully given our size difference. Then I realize they are tough for their size .
    I have never had a bunny hold a grudge.
    I know what you mean. I'm doing stroking and breaks during feeding but I think he's reaching his limit. It's all just made so much harder by him losing his companion 2 weeks ago. He must be so frustrated and confused by what's happening I'm not sure how long is fair to put him through this as he's still not really eating any more than a few nibbles a day on his own. Really hoping once he's been on the ABs a week we see an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    You and Ian are doing well to keep his weight up, so he must be getting a reasonable amount of food down him. I hope he continues to improve.
    Thank you <3

I really hope that the antibiotics start to make a real difference for him, I'm sure he'll feel more like eating then. Keep going Ian, you are in very good hands, sending you loads more get well and eating vibes xxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

thank you! One thing that I'm a bit concerned about is the vet said to go down to once a day for the metochlopramide and when it runs out (which it will soon) that I wont need more. I asked if I could have more and she said it's to get the gut moving again and now he's pooing to ween him off it. In the past he's recovered from GI stasis much faster (when there weren't the added complications of grief and infection) so his poos were back to normal by the time we ran out of gut stimulants so I'm a a bit worried. Should I call and push for more? He's been on it since last thursday now
    Last edited by Naomi1988; 25-05-2022 at 04:09 PM.