Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP Dental problems and not eating:Vet suggested potential PTS

Thank you, this is reassuring <3

Yes, he was clenching his jaw before whereas now he resists putting the syringe in but once the food is in his mouth and eats it and will keep going for longer. hes' also stamping his feet and grunting when I put him dow which I hope is a sign of fiestiness rather than growing stress.

I agree, I would hang fire if he's pooping weeing and nibbling, hopefully you'll see an improvement when the vetergesic wears off too.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Sending vibes he will continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Sending vibes he will continue to improve.
    Thank you all so much! I'm glad I didn't take him this morning as he does seem to be perking up a bit now and with that stress he might not have. He's still turning his nose up at most things but has eaten some parsley, a small lettuce leaf, 2 puffed corn treats (picked out of some dandelion salad I put down for him) and has had another nibble on some banana. He is dropping small bits from his mouth while eating which might be an issue if that keeps going? Clearly not out of the woods yet but feeling a bit more hopeful than yesterday. <3

Hello all, just a quick update on Ian. He was quite annoyed this morning (was hiding from me and only took one tiny treat off me and turned his nose up at everything else) so I wasn't feeling hopeful when I went to the vets (I'm worried because the stress of force feeding feels cumulative). My vet said that PTS is still an option if we feel he's been through enough but that as she sees a route out of where he is now it wouldn't be wrong to keep trying. She said it can take 7 days to really see the effects of the antibiotics. She also said she was happy with his gut and he didnt show any discomfort while she was examining him. We're trying him with a small dose of tramadol to support the pain as the vetergesic was making him a bit dopey (I think) and upping the metacam. She's also recommended, now his poos are looking a little better, to give him a longer break overnight. I'm apprehensive about it but also think it could be what he needs to kick start his appetite and it does feel harsh waking him up in the night. Fingers and toes and everything crossed! The bad news is she is on leave from friday until June 13th. But has recommended other vets in the practice to see if we are concerned while she's away. Thank you all again, SO MUCH!
    Last edited by Naomi1988; 24-05-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi1988 View Post
    Hello all, just a quick update on Ian. He was quite annoyed this morning (was hiding from me and only took one tiny treat off me and turned his nose up at everything else) so I wasn't feeling hopeful when I went to the vets (I'm worried because the stress of force feeding feels cumulative). My vet said that PTS is still an option if we feel he's been through enough but that as she sees a route out of where he is now it wouldn't be wrong to keep trying. She said it can take 7 days to really see the effects of the antibiotics. She also said she was happy with his gut and he didnt show any discomfort while she was examining him. We're trying him with a small dose of tramadol to support the pain as the vetergesic was making him a bit dopey (I think) and upping the metacam. She's also recommended, now his poos are looking a little better, to give him a longer break overnight. I'm apprehensive about it but also think it could be what he needs to kick start his appetite and it does feel harsh waking him up in the night. Fingers and toes and everything crossed! The bad news is she is on leave from friday until June 13th. But has recommended other vets in the practice to see if we are concerned while she's away. Thank you all again, SO MUCH!
    Pleased to hear that the Vet is hopeful that Ian can recover. I hope you start to see somme more small improvements over the next few days x

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Thanks for the update, and it sounds pretty positive. I'm glad he's got an alternative to the vetergesic, hopefully the meds will help him to recover without making him so drowsy. Sending lots of vibes for your boy xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

He wont eat anything today at all and is very subdued. I think it could be from the stress of the vets (we had to wait quite a while) and maybe either the tramadol making him subdued or it not working enough to help the pain. Feel at a bit of a loss of what to do but will keep going

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi1988 View Post
    He wont eat anything today at all and is very subdued. I think it could be from the stress of the vets (we had to wait quite a while) and maybe either the tramadol making him subdued or it not working enough to help the pain. Feel at a bit of a loss of what to do but will keep going
    Poor lad. I do hope things improve soon x

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Warren Veteran

Why is he on additional pain relief (ie tramadol or vetergesic)? I've only been given those after major jaw surgery. I usually get permission to increase the metacam for a few days.
    Was he weighed again? It's useful to weigh weekly just to keep track of his general condition and food intake.
    It's a long way off until your vet is on holiday. Fingers crossed Ian is feeling much better by then, even if you are still having to provide some additional support.