Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 145

Thread: PLEASE HELP Dental problems and not eating:Vet suggested potential PTS

  1. #1

    Default PLEASE HELP Dental problems and not eating:Vet suggested potential PTS

    2 weeks ago we sadly lost our lovely girl Puck after nearly 9 years together (she was 11) leaving our lovely boy Ian (8.5) alone. He was ok for the first few days after she passed but then went off his food. For a couple of days he was eating less so I supplemented with recovery and got him into the vets. He had had emergency dental surgery 6 weeks prior to this after seeing a stand in vet who missed the problem so we thought it couldn't be his teeth again. But it turned out it was his teeth and he needed dental surgery THAT DAY. He was coping ok after the surgery, but not eating much alone (loving recovery but not eating lots on hid own unless food is put right under his nose and it takes a long time for him to chew). Since thursday he's gotten worse and yesterday we took him to the vets and she felt his jaw and moved it around and he showed no discomfort and could not see anything wrong when looking in his mouth but she said there was a smell that could indicate an infection, potentially of the tooth root. He's been put on antibiotics and metachlopromide. He was eating bits yesterday but not a lot and by this morning he was refusing to eat anything.

    We took him back to the vets today and she said we have two choices, to keep trying or to decide he's been through enough and put him to sleep. He's not in complete stasis but is refusing to eat anything. I'm having to force recovery and even that he's managing to spit some of it out. Right up until yesterday no matter how stressed or ill he's been he's never resisted fibreplex but this morning he wouldnt even take that. The only thing he has taken willingly is metacam. I said I'd like to keep trying so we are still giving the metochlopromide, anti-biotics and feeding recovery and he's had a pain killer injection (as he did yesterday).

    For a week after the surgery he was slowly getting better. Eating lots of recovery (only if offered by syringe and warm, but would happily have 15ml at a time) and was taking the odd treat or leaf but taking a really long time to chew. His poos were pretty much back to normal. but from thursday he's been eating less and less willingly. Now he's gone right downhill. She said it wont be a bad reaction to the painkillers or the anti-biotics so to keep going with them and hope we can keep him going long enough for the anti-biotics to start working but if he's not better by monday she said he's been through enough and to put him to sleep.

    I feel so bad about the stress we're causing him because she's said to force feed him 10ml of recovery every hour, plus all the meds. I just really hope it works so it feels worth it! He's been through so much in 2 weeks, I feel so bad for him Does anyone know how long antibiotics take to have effect? Am I doing everything I can? Is there a chance he will be OK and would recover from dentals in the future or am I being selfish putting him through this? Thank you <3

  2. #2
    Warren Veteran InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    9,968

    Default

    What is the name of the antibiotic he is on ?

    What is the pain killer called and what is the dose ?

    What was the name of the drug given by injection today ?

    Did the Vet take skull radiographs when the Dental was done ?


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,735

    Default

    I'm sorry Ian is worse. I know its hard but you are ultimately the best person to decide what is best for him, you are obviously a devoted bunny owner and have his best interests at heart. I think you're early enough into this treatment (antibiotics) to take things one day at a time. Personally I'd try to get that recovery fed over 4-5 sessions if you can get 20mls plus in. My vets always say offer herbs / forage directly after feeding CC as it often stimulates appetite (I found this). This isn't a usual recovery for Ian so this won't necessarily be how he'd be after another dental. You say a vet missed his need for a dental so that delay will likely have caused sores or discomfort, he is grieving & now there is the infection.

    What antibiotics is he on & by what route?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    What is the name of the antibiotic he is on ?

    What is the pain killer called and what is the dose ?

    What was the name of the drug given by injection today ?

    Did the Vet take skull radiographs when the Dental was done ?

    No radiographs, I wish I'd thought to ask for that as he's not well enough now for that of course. He's on metacam 0.3 twice a day now and had an injection of Prevomax yesterday morning and again this morning. Today he also had an injection of Buprecare and Vetergesic/buprecare and some subcutaneous fluids.

    He's on Sulfatrim antibiotics (0.4ml twice a day) as the vet said they work well for respiratory problems as well as dental as she's not certain where the infection is (though assumes it's tooth root).

    He's also on metaclopromide 1ml twice a day.

    He's 1.85KG
    Last edited by Naomi1988; 21-05-2022 at 01:35 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Thank you, I think one day at a time is the best thing to do. I'm managing to get about 10ml in him at a time, though he really fights it (and spits some out). I fill the syringe to 15 to make sure he's getting at least 10ml even if he splits some out. Do you mean try to get 20ml in him each hour? and 4-5session as in a little bit then a short break? I tend to give 10ml in about 5 goes, giving him time to swallow but could try to up the amount?

    He's on Sulfatrim by mouth. o.4 ml twice a day.

    Thank you both for your replies! Even just having someone reply makes me feel less alone in this very hard situation <3

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,735

    Default

    Sorry - no i meant reduce number of feeds from 10 to 5 but only if you could get him to take more than 10 ml. I'm off out now but will be back later & will have good think

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    I would also want the answer to the questions Jane asked, with a view to increasing pain relief dose or frequency, and maybe changing antibiotics.
    Antibiotics (oral) usually take 2-3 days to kick in. If he's on Baytril, he may need to swap to a different antibiotic (maybe injectable depocillin?) that will treat infections deeper in tissue.
    Skull x-rays should show any pockets of infection or tooth/root abnormalities.

  8. #8

    Default

    Just went to give him his antibiotics and more recovery and he really fought it this time. I'm now worried not all of the anti-biotic went down as once he was back in the cage he licked around his mouth and spat a chunk of recovery out (though seemed to have swallowed the liquid). I wish they'd given an injection of antibiotic but he's seen 2 vets across the 2 days, both are meant to be very good with rabbits, and neither suggested that as an option. I'm so worried this is the end

    The vets advice was to keep trying until monday and if he's the same we need to put him to sleep. I imagine if he's still refusing to eat this strongly by monday he'll be in a worse state also

  9. #9

    Default

    hes also not really cleaning around his mouth, just leaving the recovery all around it

  10. #10
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Just keep going. The fact he is fighting means he's not giving up, although he's obviously not happy. Will he eat the recovery food with a bit of apple or carrot (baby food) puree in it? Or any fresh herbs / dandelion / willow leaves?

    PTS is your decision - your vet can only advise. It's always there as an option at any time. If you don't think it's time, you don't have to agree. Discuss all the options with your vet - you are doing a good job under difficult circumstances, and your vets are supporting you and Ian.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •