• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy Eye

Blossom's down tilted eye is very weepy, it almost seems like it's just below the eye?

I'm wondering if she might have a blocked tear duct, she's absolutely fine in herself and really enjoying me cleaning it with slightly warm black tea.

Our vets have outsourced their weekend service while they're having building work done and I'm not keen on taking them as there's no exotic vet on a Sunday.

Is there anything else I can do to help until tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I've no experience, but if she's fine in her self ,and letting you bathe it, I would have thought she'd be fine till tomorrow. Sending vibes along in the meantime xx

I would just continue with the eye bathing. Are you using an eye lubricant too ?

When bathing the eye if you put gentle pressure on and around the nasolacrimal duct you might be able to dislodge gunk if there is some near the surface.

I would just continue with the eye bathing. Are you using an eye lubricant too ?

When bathing the eye if you put gentle pressure on and around the nasolacrimal duct you might be able to dislodge gunk if there is some near the surface.
Yes using viscotears for her. Thanks I'll try a bit of pressure, she really seems to enjoy it so don't think it'll be an issue.

Yes using viscotears for her. Thanks I'll try a bit of pressure, she really seems to enjoy it so don't think it'll be an issue.

Do it very gently. It is only possible to clear gunk without cannulating the duct if the gunk is near the surface.

My tilty bun used to get this, I used to clean it with a warm compress and lubricate twice daily. Hopefully it's not blocked, I remember my vet telling me it was relatively common in tilty buns. Checking it regularly also gave me peace of mind just in case.

Thanks for all the vibes.

Blossom had the duct flushed today and had a teeny blockage.

Vet suggested we wash with saline for now and if it reblocks we'll look at drops etc.

Thankfully Blossom took it all in her stride demanding treats from hubby on the drive home!

Oh Blossom, never one to waste an opportunity for a treat. Glad the trip went well. Is it bonding time soon?

Oh Blossom, never one to waste an opportunity for a treat. Glad the trip went well. Is it bonding time soon?
It is!

I have next week booked off so hoping to go ahead then. I can't wait for them to be together again I just hope Rodney tempers his excitement!

Back