• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male rabbit wanting to mate?

dwitkos

New Kit
Hello, we have two mini lop rabbits, Doughnut (M) and Lily (F). They have been getting along very well since we've moved into a new house, however for the past few days, Doughnut has been trying to mate (at least that's what it looks like to me) with Lily... They are both neutered so we're not worried about them having babies, but the issue is he keeps trying to get on top of her and she keeps running away. And he just won't stop, he only really stops when they're eating or when he's sleeping. When he is "chasing" after her, he's making a humming noise, he used to do this last year around the same time, while running around my legs, when we didn't have Lily yet. I know this could be a dominance thing but looking at the season and his behaviour, it looks like he is wanting to mate with her, but obviously she doesn't want to. Should we do anything about this? He's not really being aggressive or anything apart from sometimes slightly nipping her but it doesn't happen often and it's very light.

Thanks in advance :).

It is probably ‘ Spring Fever’, which can effect neutered Rabbits. Being in a relatively new home could also make things more lively for longer.

Do they have very large accommodation with plenty of environmental enrichment ?

Things should quieten down, but you need to keep a very close eye on the situation to make sure Lily does not become very stressed and you would need to intervene immediately if any fighting started.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/behaviour/hormonal-behaviour-neutered-rabbits/

Rarely a health problem can cause hormonal behaviour in neutered Rabbits- Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia. But this usually only effects older Rabbits and as I have said, it is rare.

Thank you for your reply, that article is very helpful.

Do they have very large accommodation with plenty of environmental enrichment ?

They have a fairly large play pen, and we let them out quite a lot to run around the living room as well. Not sure what you mean by environmental enrichment but they have plenty of toys, they have a hidey house, of course litter boxes with hay etc.

Back