Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrie is matty: u/d p12 sore hock :(

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Did you get abx too?
    No, low-level infections that aren't causing any proper symptoms shouldn't be treated with abx really, as it probably contributes to resistance. We've got no way of trimming his fur really, plus as an outside rabbit I wouldn't want to.

Lopsy got that smear down his front paws that came and went. We never found a better cause for it than he CBAed to clean it :S But his back legs were always immaculate. He did pull matts out of his back feet (we had no chance of getting those out/off without sedation) but Barrie doesn't have matty feet I've left him to 'calm down' (he seems fine) and we'll pick up on whatever he needs cleaning wise from tomorrow. I did get a lovely picture of him and Chibbs but it's not uploaded anywhere yet.
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her/any.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Update: we think he got matty because he started moulting! He's much better now, still a bit top-matty in places but no change of spirits etc. We're trying to de-fluff him as much as possible but he runs off and hides. Still, better than nothing.

One thing I did notice yesterday: he has a sore hock. It's not bothering him, it's currently a pink spot on his hock, no signs of ulceration, bleeding etc., and he runs around fine. Didn't get a good enough look at his other foot. I'm going to remove the carpet from their windowsill: he spends at least 20hrs a day sleeping up there I'm sure (might be a slight exaggeration ;P) Dunno if I'll replace it with something: it's just MDF.

But do I need to do anything else to help him? Put more hay in litter trays I guess? The litter trays (all three of them :eyeroll are paper pellets and hay on top, but they like to remove the hay from the littlest one. Would the paper pellets be a problem for him? Their other areas are lino (playhouse floor), concrete (run 1) and grass/dirt (run 2) 24/7, plus plastic runaround type tubes. When they get let out to mow the grass it's grass/dirt on the lawn and a wooden hutch for hiding in etc.

Any suggestions?

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Update: we think he got matty because he started moulting! He's much better now, still a bit top-matty in places but no change of spirits etc. We're trying to de-fluff him as much as possible but he runs off and hides. Still, better than nothing.

One thing I did notice yesterday: he has a sore hock. It's not bothering him, it's currently a pink spot on his hock, no signs of ulceration, bleeding etc., and he runs around fine. Didn't get a good enough look at his other foot. I'm going to remove the carpet from their windowsill: he spends at least 20hrs a day sleeping up there I'm sure (might be a slight exaggeration ;P) Dunno if I'll replace it with something: it's just MDF.

But do I need to do anything else to help him? Put more hay in litter trays I guess? The litter trays (all three of them :eyeroll are paper pellets and hay on top, but they like to remove the hay from the littlest one. Would the paper pellets be a problem for him? Their other areas are lino (playhouse floor), concrete (run 1) and grass/dirt (run 2) 24/7, plus plastic runaround type tubes. When they get let out to mow the grass it's grass/dirt on the lawn and a wooden hutch for hiding in etc.

Any suggestions?
    Removing the carpet will help, or cover it with an old sheet or duvet cover to make the surface less abrasive. His toe nails need to be kept short.

Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of arthritis in the spine/ hips. So determining if there is a primary cause and treating it is important. What to treat the sore hocks with depends on the extent of the problem. Derbymed SCP Spray can be helpful https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s...-200ml-p-41660

Shredded paper rather than paper pellet litter might be a better option, but shredded paper litter trays need changing at least once a day. Not sure if this is the case with paper pellet litter as I have never used that. I mean for my Rabbits of course

Lino can sometimes be a problem, textured stable matts provide a better less slippery contact surface.
    Last edited by InspectorMorse; 23-06-2022 at 04:26 PM.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Shredded paper rather than paper pellet litter might be a better option, but shredded paper litter trays need changing at least once a day. Not sure if this is the case with paper pellet litter as I have never used that. I mean for my Rabbits of course
    Does that mean you HAVE used shredded paper?! (I'm thinking about the other thread ;P)

I'll get him in for an appointment when I'm back from being in Essex, so w/c 4th July. The carpet's a bit ropey after being used as a bed and dug at for 7yrs anyway, so we'll just take it off and see how they cope jumping on/off. Might go back to putting steps in. I'll keep the paper pellets for now, as Matt'll be looking after them next week and he likes change as much as Chibbs does But I'll drop how much I use and put loads more hay in, should have enough to do that (running out of the cheap stuff, now have to go to Essex for it ). Given Barrie's sleeping pattern, he's definitely old, possibly older than Chibbs, and he's longer than his legs were built for (he's all over the place poor lad XD), so spinal arthritis is a very distinct possibility. I expect, if nothing else, we'll get metacam for him again and if that helps then I don't really mind His nails aren't long, as in I can't see them protruding through his furry bits, but they might be 'too' long for sore hocks. I shall have a look, and traumatise the poor lad in the process!

Sending vibes he does well at the vets.