Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrie is matty: u/d p12 sore hock :(

Default Barrie is matty: u/d p12 sore hock :(

Wednesday night, there's a couple of matty clumps of black fur on the windowsill. I note them, give Barrie a quick bum check (just with my hand) but he's dry and clean, a little matty around the middle bits of his legs (ankle-knee) but nothing I'm concerned about, a one off wee incident isn't to worry about, or he could be 'wet' from the rain because Aboleth had that. Thursday evening, a couple more, his legs are definitely still matty and arguably worse, still dry, but like he's had wet on him all night, but under him he's not matty. This morning, more smaller fur pulls and he looks more uncomfortable. No worse than yesterday, but *he's* changed. Still eating fine, body condition fine, but fur on his back feels less good, a teeny tiny bit rougher. Still glossy as heck. Booked in for the vet tomorrow morning as vet said if he was eating etc. not worth squeezing him in today (they're rammed), but to call back if there's any worsening obviously. He grunted at me when I tried to have a look so I've left him to it as I don't want to stress him out, he finds me stressful enough as it is (he still runs away from me when i go in their house).

He doesn't smell of wee, or smell of anything except normal rabbitiness. It's almost like it's not wee but I can't think what it might be otherwise. He's pooing fine, eating fine, but fussing when resting now: pulling hay across litter trays, digging in them to get comfy, he even had his head on the back of Chibbs' neck this morning, cute but unusual. There's the usual amount of wee everywhere but I can't get him to wee for me on command I assume he's drinking because he still feels normal and the normal amount of water has gone down. He has no poo stuck to him, no excess caecos, nothing like that. He is moulting, this is adding to the mattiness, and I wonder if it's like Aboleth's matty bum skirt issue but further under? From what I can see of his skin it's OK, the wet hasn't soaked down that far yet if that makes sense? I'm just at a loss to explain it, and I'd rather someone with more confidence and expertise took a look, because he's 2.8kg of wriggly muscle (could be worse, could be Lopsy's superpowered back feet ) and the OH is RUBBISH at restraining and my hands aren't big enough

We don't know how old he is: he's a car park stray We can say for certainty 'relatively old' because he sleeps SO MUCH I've put him at 7 or 8. IIRC he was neutered when he was picked up by the rescue, but he's definitely been neutered well over a year either way. His legs seem too short for his body and he's never been able to run 'properly', like baby rabbits' legs are too short for their bodies rather than any serious issue. He does run at a decent speed now though, when we first let them out on the lawn he was running slower than ill old man Lopsy He stretches fine, he's so long he can reach half his face through the top of the shorter run we have so getting food off the top is easier for him His last vaccs were, uhm, October I think? Before we got him anyway

Should I take a clump of pulled-out fur with me? Poos (although they're normal for him)? Anything else you can think I might want to try and check etc.?
    Last edited by keletkezes; 23-06-2022 at 03:49 PM.
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her/any.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Warren Veteran

Take a urine sample?

I think your instinct to get him medically examined is a good one. I don't have any advice but shimmers suggestion seems reasonable - though as the collectors you may have a different opinion. Really hoping your little man is ok, loads of get better vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Take a urine sample?
    Yes, good idea. Not easy but I'll keep an eye out and a syringe handy. He'll go alone in the carrier (Chibbs will just bully him otherwise) and I usually get them in an hour at least before the appointment, so MIGHT have a chance for one then at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I think your instinct to get him medically examined is a good one. I don't have any advice but shimmers suggestion seems reasonable - though as the collectors you may have a different opinion. Really hoping your little man is ok, loads of get better vibes
    Thanks Yeah, you're right, it's not an easy call but I'd totally forgotten it was even remotely possible XD

I keep making sure he's eating. Trying to get him to eat 'wet' foods but nothing too wet, so forage rather than hay. He's enjoying the grass (and so is Chibbs ).

We got home with loads of forage as usual (although mostly grass as it's the 'safest' forage), and you wouldn't know he was looking a bit down all day. We came through the gate, he was doing head binkies on the windowsill with excitement and then he was outside and mowing his way through the lot. I'm much less likely to worry about him not eating overnight now XD

I also forgot to mention this was BOUND to happen as we're both way end of next week Bloomin older rabbits :roll

Sending vibes. Perhaps he is pulling fur where he has discomfort, like arthritis or a bug bite, though a. vet check and urine test are a good idea.

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Sorry I missed this yesterday. A Vet check sounds like a good idea x

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

We're back Nothing obvious, obviously XD Wee sample expressed which was a bit more concentrated than usual, but nothing to be worried about. I've seen his and Chibbs' wee like that before, and it's not usually like that all the time. Could be related to the little trying to spray me in the run this morning He DID NOT like being in the carrier, he was quite upset about it and thumped a bit, then had a strop around. Full MOT NOA except a hook on one molar, but not causing any issues for now but just for note. Body condition perfect, although the scales said his weight was a lot lower than I would've expected, but I'm putting that down to scales rather than Barrie.

Being an older rabbit, and given his down-ness yesterday (also totally not evident this morning), we've been advised to try and help him clean his lower legs (urine scald prevention) and given some metacam in case there's a low-grade cystitic infection. Vet is very much of the opinion that pain relief is paramount in, especially older, rabbits No follow up booked as he's not actively unwell right now but if he's still a bit off in a week to go back Vet's main suggestion? Boys are lazy at cleaning themselves where it doesn't matter quite so much and we DEFINITELY saw that in older Lopsy

So, cleaning his legs: that'll be fun I don't want to get them wet if I can avoid it, so a very slightly damp cloth/similar was my best plan, maybe a gentle brush as well. I think his moult might be making it worse TBH.

Wise Old Thumper

Sorry I missed this previously.

It's good news that the vet couldn't really find anything wrong, although it's always good to have a reason for things. Perhaps some boys are lazier about cleaning when they get older, but I've not experienced it with any of mine. I think his moult could definitely be making the problem worse.

Good luck with your bunny leg-cleaning duties I hope it's just a one-off and he's soon back to normal and stays that way.

I have not seen evidence of less cleaning by boys without a cause.
    Clipping fur would be good to keep skin as urine free as possible. It can be a two person job. Sending vibes it will not be a long term isdue.
    My Raven has daily medicam, though it can be a concern to use long term at higher dosrs in some bunnies.
    Did you get abx too?