• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits Being Housed With Primates at Monkey Sanctuary

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hello all,

Really distressing to see on Facebook, some rabbits being kept in with primates at a sanctuary in Swansea -

https://www.facebook.com/walesapeandmonkeysanctuary

One of the rabbits appears to have a big chunk missing from its ear (ear is intact in other photos, suggesting that it was done by one of the lemurs - this is speculation as they refuse to answer any questions)

They have deleted my comments of concern and blocked me from commenting. My question was very polite, others that have questioned the safety of the rabbits have also had their comments deleted. Please comment and share, I've emailed the RWAF. To me this seems like an accident waiting to happen :(

Last edited:
I have commented too although looking at the thread of entirely positive comments, I'm sure mine will be deleted shortly.
They've posted the same photos on their Twitter page too, so will share on there too.

They deleted my Facebook comment and blocked me on Twitter! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc5f818af8684dcb167d0b6bfdba6e47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left a comment on their Facebook page,no doubt It will be removed too.Just said rabbits should not be in with other species Madness!

All of the messages I saw people post were very polite and civilised, they deleted ANY messages questioning the safety of the rabbits, censoring the responses to suit their narrative. I received a reply from the RWAF, they are on the case, not sure what they are planning on doing but a lot of people have sent them concerned emails apparently.

Looks like I'm banned from their Facebook page now, no surprise there.It's ridiculous that a "rescue" doesn't acknowledge that they are in the wrong as regards rabbit welfare .I watched a nature show about Lemurs with David Attenborough, they can be fiesty and fight with each other.

Does anyone actually KNOW that something bad is happening, or is this mostly projecting feelings? Rabbits can get along with quite some different animals, and some people go so far to even put them together with predators like cats and dogs...

I can understand that posts are removed. Everyone can throw their polite opinion at them without actually having a clue about it. The bane of the internet.

If you think about it, we are just primates too :D

Last edited:
Does anyone actually KNOW that something bad is happening, or is this mostly projecting feelings? Rabbits can get along with quite some different animals, and some people go so far to even put them together with predators like cats and dogs...

I can understand that posts are removed. Everyone can throw their polite opinion at them without actually having a clue about it. The bane of the internet.

If you think about it, we are just primates too :D

It has been condemned by The Rabbit Welfare Association, I think they know best.

I wouldn't trust lemurs or smaller monkeys in a small compound with rabbits. They are pretty inquisitive and destructive creatures. Even the photo they are using shows that the rabbits are of interest to the lemurs, rather than just being ignored.

I wouldn't trust lemurs or smaller monkeys in a small compound with rabbits. They are pretty inquisitive and destructive creatures. Even the photo they are using shows that the rabbits are of interest to the lemurs, rather than just being ignored.

Yes, and one of the rabbits was pictured to have quite a substantial piece of ear missing in the photo with the lemurs. In photos of just the two bunnies together, both rabbits have their ears fully intact. The sanctuary have now removed all photos of the photos of the bunnies with the lemurs. It is pure speculation that the one bunny was injured by the lemurs, but it would not need to be speculation if the sanctuary had not blocked and deleted the comments of anyone who asked. Hopefully the RWAF will be able to help them.

Back