• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing advice please

MoonRuby

New Kit
Hi, I am a fairly experienced rabbit owner and have owned a few over the years, however I have always had a “normal” garden!

I’m considering getting another pair of bunnies soon but my current garden is giving me some issues, if you could please advise 😬

Garden is medium sized, mostly paved with an area of artificial grass. I was looking at getting a large open bottom chicken coop type enclosure/hutch with run and putting it on the paving slabs. This will be good for keeping the nails down, however I was worried about the little feet being on hard floor constantly, but an area of soft substrate obviously won’t cope well when it rains…. Is there’s something that does work and dry quickly after?! Or will I have to stick to an enclosed bottom double storey hutch?

Secondly- Our garden is also very easy to make bunny proof as it’s surrounded by concrete walls.
There is a mud area which I was planning on planting rabbit friendly plants, and there are lots of dandelion leaves that have snuck up around the edge of the artificial grass! However, do I need to be concerned they might try and eat the artificial grass? Is this going to be a hazard 🤦🏻*♀️
We are planning on letting them have the run of the downstairs of the house a lot of the time, but it would be nice for them to be able to use the garden too! I’ve just never had artificial grass with a bun before!
Is it cruel to get one with no area of proper grass?

Thank you for any advice

I wouldn't be worried about having a run on concrete. It will stop them digging out, foxes digging in, and be easy to keep clean. You can always add a digging box eg kid's sand box filled with soil. I've not tried fake grass, but I imagine it will be very harsh on their feet / hocks - some breeds are prone to sore hocks and it is aggravated by normal carpet. If the garden is secure, they could have supervised free-range time in the whole garden.

You could always have them as free roaming indoor rabbits. Indoor / outdoor won't be an issue in Summer, but isn't a good idea in colder weather due the effect of the temperature changes on theirdelicate respiratiry systems, and they won't get a full winter coat to protect them outside.

Have a look at the RWAF site for housing ideas and minimum sizing:
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/

Chicken coop type hutch / run combos or a standard pet shop enclosed bottom double storey hutch probably won't be nearly big enough on its own, although there are some suitable large runs with hutches on top if you look around.

Back