• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop bunny peeing on sofa & my bed!

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
My neutured bunny is very well toilet trained but has an obsession with peeing on the sofa and my bed. Help! Any advice on how to stop this? He is a big softy and not aggressive at all. xx

I believe he is marking his territory or in this case your's!

It smells like you so he is in effect marking you as his territory or at least that is what I read it usually means on the house rabbit website. It is a kind of compliment like pooing on the bed too :?

I would probably consider getting him neutered if he isn't already as he is about the right age when the hormones kick in and then he may demonstrate spraying not just a neat puddle :lol: it is supposed to improve litter training and reduces territorial behaviour.

Caz

Thanks Caz. He has been neutured and has calmed down a lot since then - I had a few showers.. :lol: I have been taking it as flattery from the rabbit world but just hoped somebody managed to stop it out there!! He is so loving and affectionate there is no way I can stop him coming on the sofa or my bed!! :p

Ohh I don't know what to suggest then. Zeus has only had one accident (actually just after than pic in my sig was taken :lol: ).

He has learnt since his many trips to the vet to go to the toilet before getting in the pet carrier. He had an accident on the way home once and had to sit on the damp newspaper - after that everytime I go to pick him up he runs and goes to the toilet before letting me catch him. That way he can usually hold on for 1-2 hours - also handy for long grooming sessions on the sofa!

I believe some people have success using water sprays and shouting no then putting the bunny in the litter tray when you see that characteristic tail lift but there are a couple of drawbacks 1) you have to watch them every second they are on the furniture as if you miss it happening they won't learn and 2) if they don't wee you get wet furniture because of the water spray anyway :lol:

Thanks. I always pick him up and move him saying "no" loudly. He does know its wrong but deliberately holds it in (so to speak) and trys to either charge back and do it on the hop...or waits till I leave the sofa!! He is doing it less and less. Before he was spayed I woke up to find he'd peed all round my head on my pillow and mattress but not actually on me at least!!! :lol: He has calmed down since the op (two months ago) from that so hopefully in time he will stop!!!

Back