• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for moveable outdoor run?

pyates

Young Bun
Hi there, I have 2 gorgeous buns who live in a generous 12' x 8' insulated shed. I have a large walled garden where I let them out for around 2 hours a day to free range (always fully monitored in person and of course:p). I'm thinking of getting an outdoor run that I could let them into for longer periods if they want to. Due to the nature of my garden and the use it gets a fixed structure wouldn't be appropriate but I'm looking at a run that I could peg down in the morning and bring in later as and when required. I've seen this one and it looks good as think I could link a few of them together to give a pretty large area:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GardenSkill-Chicken-Protection-Poultry-Tortoises/dp/B08QCCDD62

Is there anytihng better out there that I should consider? Thanks in anticipation!

That run isn't going to keep rabbits in, I'm afraid. They would chew their way out in minutes, and it's not predator-proof.
I would look at either a wooden-framed traditional style rabbit run, or an all metal one. Most wooden ones fold up easily. Their weight may be a bit of an issue if moved daily, but also makes them safer from predators. The metal ones are lighter but I find they are fiddly to continually set up and take down.

Yes, on reflection I think you're right. Looking at wooden runs now and they're generally quite small (1-2 ft wide and 3-4 ft long max). Might look at steel mesh options as well. Any suggestions?

You could try aviary panels (6'x3') on their long edge, and hinge them together to make a decent size run with a roof.
Or big sheets of industrial weldmesh made into a huge gabion basket which could be concertina'd flat-ish.
Are you planning on allowing access directly from the shed? eg via a cat flap which can be locked open or closed. Runaround tubing could also be used.

Steer clear of the all metal barred type runs as some of them are very flexible and bunnies can get trapped in them. If you do use them they would need mesh attaching to stop this happening. Also you would need to ensure they are predator proof and that the base is such that the rabbits can’t dig out or anything else dig in to them.

Apart from Zoobec's excellent advice, I've found metal runs quite hard to fold up! We've a lghtweight DIY wooden one which we can move around, and that sort wouldn't be too hard to hinge/peg together. I'll have a think about it. Ours comes in two 4x4x2.5 foot peices and we 'clip' them together with hooks and loops (like a lightweight gate fitting?). We could store ours on the garage roof or something but it's quite large, although easy for one person to move each piece (provided you're over 5' tall!).

Back