• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis X-Ray

I'm really sorry to read that Jellybean is unwell. I can only echo what others have said and this really is not your fault. These kind of things can come out of nowhere.

It's awful when they have to stay in hospital and you're waiting for them to call. I won't tell you to try and get some rest because when I've been in the same position myself I barely got a wink of sleep from worrying so much.

I know it's hard but try and keep focused on the positives. She's getting the best possible care and it sounds as though they are keeping a very close eye on her. Cases of severe stasis/gas can take a while to resolve and it's encouraging that her blood glucose has started to drop a little.

Lots of vibes for your beautiful girl and I have everything crossed that she doesn't have a blockage and won't need surgical intervention.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words. I have an update - the vet at the hospital said she is pleased with Jellybean's progress. Her glucose levels have dropped from 33 to 15 and she has gone from having no gut sounds to sounds in one quadrant. She has perked up a bit and is being more feisty, which sounds just like the Jelly I know and love! She is in an incubator as she was a bit cold.

The incredibly annoying thing is that my vets failed to send her X-rays to them before they closed, which are kind of vital. The vet says they don't feel they need to go down the surgery route at this time, if she continues to improve as she is. However, it's very very rubbish that they didn't get the x-rays, as they would have been incredibly helpful for the vet hospital.

I know my girl isn't out of the woods yet, but it does sound like she is fighting over there. Hoping myself and OH might be able to catch a wink of sleep tonight, although I imagine I'll be laying awake waiting for the phone to call.

A BG of 15 is fab news - & her being more herself. I honestly don't think you could have realistically expected a better update. well done Jellybean + keep it up. Annoying they didn't send xrays. i hope you can get some rest Beapig

I am sorry you are dealing with this sudden stasis episode. Those of us who have stasis prone bunnies know just how quickly the situation can change from a bunny being a little off with no decisive symptoms, to a bunny requiring vet care.
Like you, I often would kick myself for not getting them help hours before when my brain knows that stressing bunnies with treatments and vet trips they may not need can be damaging too.
Stop blaming yourself. You got her to your vets and then to the other vets as soon as you realized she was ill, and she is now making progress.
IMO surgery should only be done if a blockage is confirmed and other medical/supportive treatments are not helping.
I hope you can both get some rest tonight and that you will be awakened to a positive update on your girl.

Thank you everyone for your continued support. Jellybean began to go downhill again at 4.00am. She is in a lot of pain and her stomach has become more bloated. They have upped the medication and she will soon be going into surgery. I am not hopeful for a positive outcome. We visited the hospital to say goodbye to her.

I'm heartbroken to report that Jellybean has been put to sleep. The vet took her bloods pre-surgery and the levels were off the charts. She had acute renal failure. We were all in agreement that it was unfair on her to even attempt the surgery. Taking away her pain was the kindest thing to do. I can't even begin to express how devastated we are to lose her so suddenly and unexpectedly.

The vet has assured me that there is nothing more we could have done and that she was in fantastic condition for her age (which we guess was around eight) but I worry that I should have been more particular about some occasional urination on the shed floor these past few months, which was quite thick in consistency. I worry that it was calcium build-up and that I treated her to too much kale from our garden. I didn't even know that this was a thing until reading about it today. The vet assured me that her condition was much worse than that, they even suspect that she could have a cancerous growth. I don't even know if the thick wee was hers or Hamilton's, but I feel that I should have researched it and taken it more seriously, even though it was intermittent and they both seemed perfectly healthy. Either way, I'm glad that I know about this for the future with my other rabbits.

This week Jellybean dug a burrow in the garden, she was very proud of it. I saw that it had been filled in and asked my partner if he has done it, but he thought that I had. It turns out that after digging this impressive burrow, Jellybean proceeded to fill it back in herself and compact it very professionally. She was a very active rabbit and I think she lead a very happy life with us.

2019-06-16_08-47-13

Last edited:
Sleep tight beautiful Jellybean :love:

Don't even begin to question your care of her. She had a fantastic life with you all :love:

Sending millions of hugs.

I'm so sorry Beapig. She looks so blissed out in that photo:love:.The tunnel she made too:love: What a beautiful soul. She had a perfect life.

Sleep tight, sweet dreams beautiful jellybean xx

I’m so sorry:cry: you did everything you could for her and she was really lucky to have such a happy life :love: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Oh Beapig, I'm so sorry to read that you've lost your beautiful Jellybean. 😔

When I saw your update last night I was really hopeful that she was starting to turn a corner. I'm so sorry she turned out to be far more unwell that anyone realised.

I just wanted to echo what others have said in that you have nothing to beat yourself up over. Guilt is a very common part of grief, it's something most of us go through, but it will pass. There's no way you could have known that Jellybean had kidney issues. The experts, the vets themselves, didn't know and had to run blood tests to find that out. The very difficult reality is that these illnesses remain hidden for a long time and it's practically impossible for us, as owners, to get ahead of them. You did your best for Jellybean in getting her to the vet when you realised something was wrong and there was absolutely nothing more you could have done.

I really hope that in time your grief will become more bearable and you will be able to remember the happy times you had together. She had a wonderful life with you and no bunny could ask for more.

Sleep tight, Jellybean xx

I am so sorry you lost your JB.
She had excellent care which allowed her to enjoy life until the end.
It sounds like her filling in her dig hole was her way of telling you she liked her accomodations.

Back