• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to treat a wound

Sorry I have not posted for ages but my health is not good and it is a problem to concentrate. However now I have a question concerning Mischief and thought maybe this forum could help.

Mischief and Lillabelle have been great together and get on so well. Lillabelle is booked in to be spayed this month. They hardly ever fight except when she humps Mischief's head very occasionally and pulls a little fur out of him. Then he chases her!

Tonight I have found a small wound on Mischief's side. It is well hidden by his fur and we think it could have been caused by Lillabelle pulling out his fur regularly in the same place as it is shorter closest to the wound. We are wondering how to treat it and how long it will take to heal. It is about a penny in size and the fur is all gone there. It looks red in places and sore almost to the point of bleeding but not ulcerated.

Unfortunately I have since noticed that Lillabelle keeps licking the wound and probably making it sore and stopping it from healing.We have split them up tonight until we know what to do. Lillabelle is agitated and keeps biting the cage but we wanted to stop her licking it so area could heal. Are we doing the right thing seperating them?

Also how is it best to treat the wound please? We sprayed it with an antiseptic spray for now. We also wondered if there are t-shirt type clothes for bunnies that we could get to cover up the area so Lillabelle can't lick it and they can be together again.

I will try and get a photo of the wound later today but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hello. Sorry that you are struggling with poor health. Without being able to see the wound it is impossible to give advice as to how to treat it. In most cases wounds that have broken the skin require Veterinary attending. Especially those caused by a bite from another Rabbit as the risk of the wound becoming infected and abscessating is very high. This will be exacerbated if the wound is constantly licked by the injured Rabbit or their companion. Rabbit abscesses are often very problematic to treat.

In the short term bathing the wound with sterile saline solution and applying some Derbymed SCP spray would be OK.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP

But I would strongly advise a Vet check. Lillabelle might need antibiotics and I expect she is sore so she would need pain relief too.

Another word of advice, when a Rabbit ‘head humps’ another Rabbit a lot the Rabbit doing the humping can get a nasty bite around their genitals. So I would check Lillabelle’s undercarriage carefully too.

Hello. Sorry that you are struggling with poor health. Without being able to see the wound it is impossible to give advice as to how to treat it. In most cases wounds that have broken the skin require Veterinary attending. Especially those caused by a bite from another Rabbit as the risk of the wound becoming infected and abscessating is very high. This will be exacerbated if the wound is constantly licked by the injured Rabbit or their companion. Rabbit abscesses are often very problematic to treat.

In the short term bathing the wound with sterile saline solution and applying some Derbymed SCP spray would be OK.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP

But I would strongly advise a Vet check. Lillabelle might need antibiotics and I expect she is sore so she would need pain relief too.

Another word of advice, when a Rabbit ‘head humps’ another Rabbit a lot the Rabbit doing the humping can get a nasty bite around their genitals. So I would check Lillabelle’s undercarriage carefully too.
Thank you. I thought he would need to see a vet due to a possible teeth wound. I will ring them today xx

Thank you. I thought he would need to see a vet due to a possible teeth wound. I will ring them today xx

Sorry, I got confused and thought it was Lillabelle who had the wound. Same advice applies though and I hope all goes well at the Vets :)

Hope it all goes well at the vets.

Rodney had something similar when Blossom bit him during a fight and all healed well with antibiotics and the vets cleaning it up.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Sending vibes. My Zorro was covered in bites when I rescued him. He hopes Mischief heals well. Yes, vet advised, especially if red and warmer than surrounding skin.

Sorry, I got confused and thought it was Lillabelle who had the wound. Same advice applies though and I hope all goes well at the Vets :)
Don't worry [emoji23]
We have booked vets for tomorrow evening. Doing saline solution. We have a spray that we bought in the local pet shop-RenaSan First Aid spray. Can we use this until go to vets? It apparently kills all harmful pathogens and kills bacteria, viral and fungal xx

The skin doesnot look like it is broken. It looks sore though possibly where she keeps licking it.

We havd seperated them and take turns swapping them into puppy crate whilst other one has free run of flat. Mr Chief does not seem bothered but Lillabelle looks upset. She keeps biting the cage and sits there looking out or if Mischief is in cage she just lies next to it.

We are feeding them togethers then she is not interested in grooming him. As soon as she goes to lick him again we seperate them. I am hoping that helps maintain their bonding.

Thank you for everyone's help and posts about their bunnies. It is lovely to be back on here. Please excuse any mistakes. Phone keeps writing wrong letters and have trouble concentrating. I wiĺ try to keep posting xx

Last edited:
Sorry for late message about Mischief. The vet thought it was also fur pulling as he has a bald spot and then red around that near the hair line.

We were told to use saline solution as much as possible and otherwise to air it.We had to keep the buns seperate.

Mischief's wound looks so much better. We have kept them seperate except we introduce them for a while when we swap them until Lillabelle goes to clean himand they eat together aswell.

It is so annoying that she STILL triesto clean the wound even though it is almost cleared up and mostly just a pink colour! We are hoping she stops soon.

Other than that they are both extremely well and they say hallo to all their bunny friends [emoji3531]

Hi, I was reading recently about “barbering” which supposedly rabbits do to each other in a bid for dominance. Do you think this might be why she’s pulling his fur from the same spot over and over?

Glad to hear he’s doing better and almost healed now :love:

Hi, I was reading recently about “barbering” which supposedly rabbits do to each other in a bid for dominance. Do you think this might be why she’s pulling his fur from the same spot over and over?

Glad to hear he’s doing better and almost healed now :love:
Yes it could be. Lillabelle is now 11 months old so would make sense that she wants to become the dominant one. Mischief is quite chilled but is definitely the boss though! He chases her around the room 3 or 4 times if she tries anything! He is pretty hefty but Lillabelle has some growing to do and she is already almost his size. (They are both giant french lops )

Lillabelle's mum and dad are both much bigger than her. Does that usually mean she will be as big as them? If that is the case she will be much bigger than Mischief. He won't give in easily though! He is used to being the number 1 in our household. [emoji23]

She is booked in to be spayed on the 20th. I guess that should calm down her 'urges' but if she is looking to be top bunny there could be more chasing and fur pulling ahead!! I hope this can all be sorted out once she is spayed! I have just read up on barbering and if it continues the outcome is not good and they may have to be split up permanently! [emoji26]

They are very cute together. They are often cuddled up together asleep and Lillabelle grooms Mischief regularly all over his head and body not just in that bald area. Mischief even grooms her from time to time.

We have let them be together today as his wound has almost cleared up and is a light pink colour now. She has hardly groomed him there so we are putting them both in puppy pen tonight to see how it goes. Hopefully she will leave him alone.

I really hope this is a temporary problem. I would hate to split them up as they are so adorable together. Mischief looks much happier now he has a bunny companion.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this thread, nice to have you back, and Mishief and Lillabelle too. Glad he's healing niceĺy, and hopefully your girl will calm down once spayed, and settle down together. Sending lots of calming vibes for them, and hope you are feeling better soon too xx

Sorry I missed this thread, nice to have you back, and Mishief and Lillabelle too. Glad he's healing niceĺy, and hopefully your girl will calm down once spayed, and settle down together. Sending lots of calming vibes for them, and hope you are feeling better soon too xx
Thank you so much. Lillabelle seems to have stopped grooming that area now. I have checked him every day and there are no new marks on him. It has healed nicely and is now a soft pink colour and fur is starting to grow back.

Lillabelle is being spayed on Wednesday and I am starting to feel nervous as getting nearer the day just as I did with Mischief's neutering! [emoji51]

I will probably come on the forum asking for advice around that time. I would appreciate any useful tips to help please?xx

We are considering whether to take Mischief along. We realise it is usually best to take a bonded pair together so they can cope with the vet visit better and means a bunny does not have a new smell of vets when they come home.

However Mischief hates the vet and stresses out so much. The last 2 vet visits he came back and hid under the bed and hardly ate or drank for 2 days and we had to syringe feed him to get fluids in him!

Lillabelle was unfazed on her first visit to the vets so we are hoping she will be fine. She still hates being picked up though and hisses and growls whilst frantically trying to escape. But I guess vets are used to that? [emoji26]

Mischief could do with a check up anyway though so we may take him in. He is snoring more than he used to since his lung infection and in fact does this most times he sleeps. I thought best to get his lungs checked soon to be on safe side.

Also we are wondering if his vision is ok as he scans from side to side sometimes. He does not run around much either and does binkys in the air when he is excited rather than running around the room. When he gets angry with Lillabelle for mounting him he does a quick charge at her then stops. It may be nothing and his eyesight is fine. He is very lazy so could be that. Or could be too much fur growing over his eyes making it harder to see. Has anyone trimmed the fur over their rabbit's eyes? I am wondering if it helps?

I am so happy to be back on here and will try and keep posting. My buns have benefitted so much from all the advice from yourselves. They especially love that they now have a tray of dried forage every night at bedtime thanks to you all [emoji4] xx

Glad to hear that Mischief’s skin has healed.

I hope all will go well for Lillabelle’s spay. Post operative pain relief is essential, she will need Meloxicam for 5-7 days after the op’. She should have started to nibble food and have passed some poo and wee BEFORE being discharged home. This should continue and improve. Input and output might take a couple of days to get back to normal though. If she does not eat or poo during her first 12 hours at home you would need to contact the Vet again. She would probably need prokinetics, syringe feeds and maybe some additional fluids.

After a spay the Doe needs to be confined to a relatively small area and prevented from charging about or jumping up onto anything for 10 days.

It sounds as though Mischief needs to be checked over by the Vet, given his history of lung problems. So I would take him along too. :)

Back