Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to treat a wound

Default How to treat a wound

Sorry I have not posted for ages but my health is not good and it is a problem to concentrate. However now I have a question concerning Mischief and thought maybe this forum could help.

Mischief and Lillabelle have been great together and get on so well. Lillabelle is booked in to be spayed this month. They hardly ever fight except when she humps Mischief's head very occasionally and pulls a little fur out of him. Then he chases her!

Tonight I have found a small wound on Mischief's side. It is well hidden by his fur and we think it could have been caused by Lillabelle pulling out his fur regularly in the same place as it is shorter closest to the wound. We are wondering how to treat it and how long it will take to heal. It is about a penny in size and the fur is all gone there. It looks red in places and sore almost to the point of bleeding but not ulcerated.

Unfortunately I have since noticed that Lillabelle keeps licking the wound and probably making it sore and stopping it from healing.We have split them up tonight until we know what to do. Lillabelle is agitated and keeps biting the cage but we wanted to stop her licking it so area could heal. Are we doing the right thing seperating them?

Also how is it best to treat the wound please? We sprayed it with an antiseptic spray for now. We also wondered if there are t-shirt type clothes for bunnies that we could get to cover up the area so Lillabelle can't lick it and they can be together again.

I will try and get a photo of the wound later today but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Hello. Sorry that you are struggling with poor health. Without being able to see the wound it is impossible to give advice as to how to treat it. In most cases wounds that have broken the skin require Veterinary attending. Especially those caused by a bite from another Rabbit as the risk of the wound becoming infected and abscessating is very high. This will be exacerbated if the wound is constantly licked by the injured Rabbit or their companion. Rabbit abscesses are often very problematic to treat.

In the short term bathing the wound with sterile saline solution and applying some Derbymed SCP spray would be OK.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/derbymed...info/DERBYMSCP

But I would strongly advise a Vet check. Lillabelle might need antibiotics and I expect she is sore so she would need pain relief too.

Another word of advice, when a Rabbit ‘head humps’ another Rabbit a lot the Rabbit doing the humping can get a nasty bite around their genitals. So I would check Lillabelle’s undercarriage carefully too.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Hello. Sorry that you are struggling with poor health. Without being able to see the wound it is impossible to give advice as to how to treat it. In most cases wounds that have broken the skin require Veterinary attending. Especially those caused by a bite from another Rabbit as the risk of the wound becoming infected and abscessating is very high. This will be exacerbated if the wound is constantly licked by the injured Rabbit or their companion. Rabbit abscesses are often very problematic to treat.

In the short term bathing the wound with sterile saline solution and applying some Derbymed SCP spray would be OK.

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/derbymed...info/DERBYMSCP

But I would strongly advise a Vet check. Lillabelle might need antibiotics and I expect she is sore so she would need pain relief too.

Another word of advice, when a Rabbit ‘head humps’ another Rabbit a lot the Rabbit doing the humping can get a nasty bite around their genitals. So I would check Lillabelle’s undercarriage carefully too.
    Thank you. I thought he would need to see a vet due to a possible teeth wound. I will ring them today xx

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtiggerz69 View Post
    Thank you. I thought he would need to see a vet due to a possible teeth wound. I will ring them today xx

Sorry, I got confused and thought it was Lillabelle who had the wound. Same advice applies though and I hope all goes well at the Vets

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Hope it all goes well at the vets.

Rodney had something similar when Blossom bit him during a fight and all healed well with antibiotics and the vets cleaning it up.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Sending vibes. My Zorro was covered in bites when I rescued him. He hopes Mischief heals well. Yes, vet advised, especially if red and warmer than surrounding skin.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Sorry, I got confused and thought it was Lillabelle who had the wound. Same advice applies though and I hope all goes well at the Vets
    Don't worry
    We have booked vets for tomorrow evening. Doing saline solution. We have a spray that we bought in the local pet shop-RenaSan First Aid spray. Can we use this until go to vets? It apparently kills all harmful pathogens and kills bacteria, viral and fungal xx

The skin doesnot look like it is broken. It looks sore though possibly where she keeps licking it.

We havd seperated them and take turns swapping them into puppy crate whilst other one has free run of flat. Mr Chief does not seem bothered but Lillabelle looks upset. She keeps biting the cage and sits there looking out or if Mischief is in cage she just lies next to it.

We are feeding them togethers then she is not interested in grooming him. As soon as she goes to lick him again we seperate them. I am hoping that helps maintain their bonding.

Thank you for everyone's help and posts about their bunnies. It is lovely to be back on here. Please excuse any mistakes. Phone keeps writing wrong letters and have trouble concentrating. I wiĺ try to keep posting xx

Last edited by twistedtiggerz69; 04-04-2022 at 09:03 PM.

I hope the vets can reassure you all is well. Nice to see you back

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I hope the vets can reassure you all is well. Nice to see you back
    Thank you. Lovely to be back xx