• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Downsizing so need creative rabbit housing

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
I am moving to a house half the size with a small sunny garden.

I have 3 pairs of rabbits and a trio of guinea pigs.

There is a dining room which I would ideally like as a guest room and a good sized sitting room. I have 2 dogs.

I am hoping to get a manor pet housing guinea pig cage to go up on ikea tables, less messy than c and c which they currently have.

One pair of rabbits are used to being outside and will have a smallish shed/run set up. The other two pairs love being indoors ... Is there any way that I could have 2 indoor rabbit set ups that would be dog proof?

Dogs are an elderly labrador, aged 13, very very gentle and a young poodle dog just over a year old. Not yet quite mastered impulse control. We are working on it.

Any tips or ideas welcome. Ps all bedrooms are in use by humans!

MPH do some lovely indoor set ups for rabbits, although that would be v. expensive if you had two!

We used to have this along one side of our living room before ours were free range. I can't find any good photos of it, but it was basically two panels attached to the walls with hinge type things. They could then be opened up and closed. It also had two of the same type panels which rested on top as a lid when needed. My father in law made it from wood and mesh. Something similar might work?

gwslfzDs_t.jpg

jYcuw75I_t.jpg

Last edited:
Large dog crates could be joined to make a dog-proof bunny run for when you can't fully supervise (eg 2x 48" crates), and you can put a shelf across the back of each one to add floorspace.
You could mesh in the space under the g pig tables to make a bunny space. Or put piggies on top of dog crates. Crates can be folded down if not needed.
Baby / dog gates with small mesh across the bars are also very useful on relevant doorways. It depends on how big and lively the poodle is.

Thank you. I am now hoping to divide the shed/aviary to make two outdoor settings and have an indoor set up for the last pair in the sitting room.

Shimmer Rusty the poodle is a miniature x toy and pretty playful. I may have to get some kind of cloth over the front of the pen at first. Wont let dogs in the same room as the wabbits when I go out.

Still ruminating. Thank you both for your input.

I don’t know the full layout of the house and how many other rooms you have downstairs, but if it’s small/medium you are going to really struggle to satisfy both the rabbits’ need for space and the dogs’ need to be with you by having them in the lounge, because the dogs can’t be in there when the rabbits are out. Guest rooms are nice, but you live there 100% of the time and guests don’t, so prioritise yourself. I would use the guest room for the bunnies, just equipped with a pen to lock the bunnies up if someone comes to visit.

Also, as a dog owner I recommend manor pet housings’ indoor pens - they are well made and importantly there are no bars for them to potentially paw at/bite the rabbits through.

Back