• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dewlap-ectomy?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I don’t know what else to call it. Has anyone ever had a rabbit who has had their dewlap removed? Specifically because they were grossly overweight, now a healthy weight, and the skin left from the massive dewlap prevents them from cleaning properly or eating their caecs and is seemingly impacting their quality of life?

Just wondering- not looking to do anything just yet- just didn’t even know if it was a thing or not.

Not dewlap but abdominal excess baggy skin.

Not me but Frances Harcourt-Brown told me of a rabbit at Bunny Burrows rescue that was in the same predicament due to weight loss and the rolls of skin were a significant hazard to health so she performed a "tummy tuck".. apparently it made it to the news, very much suggesting it was a cosmetic procedure and completely distorting the necessity for the procedure.

I am sure she would be happy to discuss with a vet re pros and cons etc.

Not dewlap but abdominal excess baggy skin.

Not me but Frances Harcourt-Brown told me of a rabbit at Bunny Burrows rescue that was in the same predicament due to weight loss and the rolls of skin were a significant hazard to health so she performed a "tummy tuck".. apparently it made it to the news, very much suggesting it was a cosmetic procedure and completely distorting the necessity for the procedure.

I am sure she would be happy to discuss with a vet re pros and cons etc.

This is INCREDIBLY helpful, thank you. She also has rolls around the base of her back/tail too, but they cause less functional issues than the dewlap. It’s good to know it’s an actual thing and not something I made up.

Ditto to BB response. My Vet did a ‘cosmetic procedure’ (in reality a clinically necessary procedure) on a Doe who had folds of excess skin all around her genitals and abdomen after significant weight loss. She came into Rescue so obese that she could not hop, only waddle :cry:

Her Dewlap was not really effected though.

Last edited:
This is INCREDIBLY helpful, thank you. She also has rolls around the base of her back/tail too, but they cause less functional issues than the dewlap. It’s good to know it’s an actual thing and not something I made up.

This isn't the article that Frances told me about, as it was an English, possibly regional, newspaper, but this is the case she was talking about. I would have a strong suspicion that it would be one of the case histories that she is busily working on to upload onto her website.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/eish/nip-and-tuck-bunny-happy-with-new-hare-style-60389

Back