Thread: Dewlap-ectomy?

Wise Old Thumper

Default Dewlap-ectomy?

I don’t know what else to call it. Has anyone ever had a rabbit who has had their dewlap removed? Specifically because they were grossly overweight, now a healthy weight, and the skin left from the massive dewlap prevents them from cleaning properly or eating their caecs and is seemingly impacting their quality of life?

Just wondering- not looking to do anything just yet- just didn’t even know if it was a thing or not.
    PLEASE DON’T QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Not dewlap but abdominal excess baggy skin.

Not me but Frances Harcourt-Brown told me of a rabbit at Bunny Burrows rescue that was in the same predicament due to weight loss and the rolls of skin were a significant hazard to health so she performed a "tummy tuck".. apparently it made it to the news, very much suggesting it was a cosmetic procedure and completely distorting the necessity for the procedure.

I am sure she would be happy to discuss with a vet re pros and cons etc.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Not dewlap but abdominal excess baggy skin.

Not me but Frances Harcourt-Brown told me of a rabbit at Bunny Burrows rescue that was in the same predicament due to weight loss and the rolls of skin were a significant hazard to health so she performed a "tummy tuck".. apparently it made it to the news, very much suggesting it was a cosmetic procedure and completely distorting the necessity for the procedure.

I am sure she would be happy to discuss with a vet re pros and cons etc.
    This is INCREDIBLY helpful, thank you. She also has rolls around the base of her back/tail too, but they cause less functional issues than the dewlap. It’s good to know it’s an actual thing and not something I made up.
    PLEASE DON’T QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

Ditto to BB response. My Vet did a ‘cosmetic procedure’ (in reality a clinically necessary procedure) on a Doe who had folds of excess skin all around her genitals and abdomen after significant weight loss. She came into Rescue so obese that she could not hop, only waddle

Her Dewlap was not really effected though.
    Last edited by InspectorMorse; 02-04-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by Sky-O View Post
    This is INCREDIBLY helpful, thank you. She also has rolls around the base of her back/tail too, but they cause less functional issues than the dewlap. It’s good to know it’s an actual thing and not something I made up.
    This isn't the article that Frances told me about, as it was an English, possibly regional, newspaper, but this is the case she was talking about. I would have a strong suspicion that it would be one of the case histories that she is busily working on to upload onto her website.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/eish/nip-...re-style-60389
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20