• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is my rabbit nesting?

Buka

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Flopsy, my 8 months old female rabbit (not spayed) has been nesting for the past few days. So far she built 2 nests. I had to unfortunately remove one as it was around cables where she wasn’t allowed to go to. The other nest is in her digging box (hooded litter tray).

Why is she nesting? Is this normal behaviour or is it a sign of stress? Could it be false pregnancy?

There’s no way she’s pregnant.

Thanks all!

If there is no chance that she is pregnant then it is a false pregnancy. Removing the nest will just prolong it as she will build another one. Getting her spayed will make her QOL much better as false pregnancies are very stressful. Spaying also prevents Uterine Adenocarcinoma which effects at least 80% of unspayed Does by the age of 5, sometimes even younger.

Her spay has been continuously delayed since January. This is because she was very poorly. Now she’s back to being healthy but vet delayed the spay again until May as needs to do some extra blood work.

Is there anyway I can help her during this period of false pregnancy?

It must be awful having to witness this and unable to help her. I hope her spay goes ahead asap, not only to ‘settle’ her hormones but because of the real risk of uterine cancer in unspayed females.

She’s now lining the nest with her fur :cry:

I feel so sorry for her
I have a rabbit that did this and continues to after her spay, it's really upsetting to see actually :( best thing is to let her get on with it unfortunately :(

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

To add, she can’t be spayed during or immediately after a false pregnancy as her uterus will be engorged with blood making the risk of haemorrhage during surgery much higher.

Back