• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Lilac

Orenoko

Mama Doe
She went into stasis in the evening, she refused her nuggets at 8pm. I persuaded her to eat one fenugreek crunchie and a tiny amount of dry porridge oats but then she started to turn her nose up. She's had some emeprid and metacam. Just got up (2am) to check on her, she refused all food so fed her some critical care. Just noticed one fairly small but normal coloured poo on the chair where I fed her, which I'm taking as a positive. If she's still not eating at 6.30 when I get up then it's time to call the vet.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Sending vibes for Lilac. She is in good hands and it seems you caught it early. How is her hydration?
I hope you wake to a bright bunny and a pile of poo.

Sending vibes for Lilac. She is in good hands and it seems you caught it early. How is her hydration?
I hope you wake to a bright bunny and a pile of poo.
Thank you. She is MUCH brighter now thank goodness. I'm not sure how to measure hydration, but at 2am she was a bit colder than normal and I was hoping the critical care would also rehydrate her just in case she was dehydrated (she may well have been). She's not 100% back to normal but she's definitely more like herself, running about more and she's accepted some treats. She's currently munching a hay cookie. I've given her more critical care, emeprid and metacam, she was much more feisty which is her normal character. Found a few more small poos which I'm going to assume are hers. I'm going to try and get her checked over at the vet at some stage ASAP. She had pasteurella back in January, they did a minor dental while flushing her tear ducts, head xrays were clear, so not sure what caused it. Might just be one of those things but I'd still like her looked at.

I couldn't get back to sleep until about 4am after getting up to check on her and give her medication, absolutely knackered this morning but just glad I did. The things we do for our bunnies!

It also made me laugh when I was battling to syringe feed Lilac, Rupert came over to the bowl and just started lapping up the critical care! Why can't they all be so easy to feed haha.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that Lilac is off colour, but Rupert scoffing the critical care made me smile. Hope you get to see the vet, if only to put your mind at rest, and hope you get a better sleep tonight xx

Sending lots of vibes. Some bunnies will freely eat critical care or pellet mush mixed with fruit purée, Rupert obviously likes it :lol::love:

I am glad she made progress.
Hydration can be difficult to assess because fluids are often pulled from gi system to maintain hydration in other body systems like circulation This makes gut contents dryer and harder to pass. Wet greens, critical care, syringing oral water can all help, though you may need more.
Sending more vibes.

Thanks all, she's still munching that hay cookie so I'm glad her appetite is coming back.

I tried giving her some banana flavoured baby food last night as that's my go-to for mixing with medicine and she usually goes mad for it but she even refused that, that's when I knew she definitely wasn't right. Vet hasn't opened yet but will give them a call when they do. We have workmen at home today which could make things tricky, but at the same time it's positive as I've had to shut the pair of them in the living room where I'll be working so I can keep a nice close eye on her and see what she eats/drinks. She'll also be getting some more critical care later whether she likes it or not!

Here she is (on the right) munching some food like nothing ever happened! [emoji38]
109a16a10ce09a786a72011760348837.jpg

Aww, glad to hear she's feeling better :) Billy did the exact same a few weeks ago, I think it was trapped wind. As soon as it passed, he was like "why are you looking at me like that? Leave me along already" :lol:

She's been full of herself all day! The earliest I can book her in for a check up is Friday evening, I'm still going to take her just yo be on the safe side. But most importantly she's feeling back go herself.

Back