• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit and shed advice

Nicolaj36

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

I used be regular on this forum years ago when I had a pair of rabbits so I'm reasonably clued up on their care, but I've been offered a rabbit tonight by someone who is looking to rehome and was hoping for some advice about sheds.

I have a 9' x 6' shed which I can clear out, but I'm not sure where to start with making it rabbit friendly. When I had rabbits before they were in a hutch with attached run on concrete.

Would it be ok to use linoleum on the floor?
Could the rabbit chew through the shed walls?
How would I attach a run to the shed?
Would it be ok if the run is on grass or will he dig out?

I know rabbits need to be kept in pairs, but this boy is not neutered, so my plan is to get him done over the summer then get him a friend. My last pair were male/female and never had any problems with them getting along. If I was to get another male would they bond just as good?

Any advice to these (too many) questions would be great.

Bonus points for inside shed pics! :lol:

I have a bonded pair of rabbits, who live in a 8 x 6 shed with an outside area attached via a catflap. I find it works well here.

In response to your questions:

We have an offcut on lino fitted on the whole of the shed floor. It is easy to sweep clean and also wash. The lino is curved up at the edges for a few inches rather than cut into the wall/floor join. We have strips of weldmesh fitted over the cut edge of the lino to prevent nibbling. The shed walls are lined with plywood sheeting all the way around to a height of about 4ft, to provide both insulation and again to prevent nibbling. Run is attached to shed with a catflap, which bunnies have found very easy to use. All of our outside accommodation is on concrete, to prevent bunnies digging out and predators digging in. Grass could also become a horrid muddy mess in the winter I think.

My pair are male/female. It is said to be the easiest pair to bond, but other people have had success with male/male, both obviously neutered.

Inside the shed is a large litter tray, a large cardboard box hidey-hole, heavy water bowl and numerous pieces of rabbit-friendly lumps of wood for nibbling and to provide enrichment.

I hope it goes well for you. Feel free to ask more questions :)

Thank so much for your help Omi. After some thought I've decided I'm just going to buy a hutch with a run for now. I hope to get my shed organised over the summer months. The rabbit I'm taking is fighting with his cage mate so I need to get him as soon as possible and I just can't get the shed organised that quickly, but I'll get it done gradually and for now both the rabbits will be safe from fighting with each other.

Back