Thread: Rspca Question

Default Rspca Question

Does anyone know if the RSPCA will investigate rabbits kept in small hutches?

I've walked past a pair nearby and their hutches are tiny and side by side so the two can't interact.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper InspectorMorse's Avatar

No, if the Rabbits have food, bedding and water the RSPCA won’t do anything.

Dignity in Dying should be a Human Right
    https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Yea, sadly its not illegal to keep rabbits in a small hutch

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Oh poor buns, it did look like they're let out sometimes as there was a pop up guinea pig run in the garden but still awful.

One sweltering hot summer day I reported a big fluffy bunny in a tiny hutch that was in direct sunlight. I'd been worried about him/her for ages but called cos of heatstroke risk. The call handler told me she didn't know anything about rabbits so could I explain why I thought the bunny was at risk

I guess its so commonplace for pet rabbits to be kept poorly they don't have the resources to impose what they advocate

I've reported them anyway, I was already on hold for so long I thought I'd give it a go.

They basically said I should keep an eye on them and call them if their condition gets worse to help them prioritise visits.

I guess I shall add visiting them to my daily walks for now.

Sadly they can’t, as it’s perfectly legal for this to happen & they can only act within the law. Laws regarding animals desperately need changing. You could always try to approach the owner, ask whether they’d like to give them up? Or just post a collection of info through the door.

Warren Veteran

It's very hit and miss what the RSPCA will go out to. I've had them on my doorstep due to 'thin' dogs. Don't know who reported me, but they knew where I lived, so presumably were local. My dogs are all Saluki crosses - they are naturally thin (especially compared to your average overweight labrador, for instance) and you should be able to see their ribs. There was no issue, but it spooked me for ages (still does).

If you are still worried, you could report them and stress the poor living conditions. Or, probably better in the first instance, post them some official rabbit welfare info (eg print off bits from RWAF and post anonymously if you need to).