• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rspca Question

Does anyone know if the RSPCA will investigate rabbits kept in small hutches?

I've walked past a pair nearby and their hutches are tiny and side by side so the two can't interact.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

One sweltering hot summer day I reported a big fluffy bunny in a tiny hutch that was in direct sunlight. I'd been worried about him/her for ages but called cos of heatstroke risk. The call handler told me she didn't know anything about rabbits so could I explain why I thought the bunny was at risk :(

I guess its so commonplace for pet rabbits to be kept poorly they don't have the resources to impose what they advocate

I've reported them anyway, I was already on hold for so long I thought I'd give it a go.

They basically said I should keep an eye on them and call them if their condition gets worse to help them prioritise visits.

I guess I shall add visiting them to my daily walks for now.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Sadly they can’t, as it’s perfectly legal for this to happen & they can only act within the law. Laws regarding animals desperately need changing. You could always try to approach the owner, ask whether they’d like to give them up? Or just post a collection of info through the door.

It's very hit and miss what the RSPCA will go out to. I've had them on my doorstep due to 'thin' dogs. Don't know who reported me, but they knew where I lived, so presumably were local. My dogs are all Saluki crosses - they are naturally thin (especially compared to your average overweight labrador, for instance) and you should be able to see their ribs. There was no issue, but it spooked me for ages (still does).

If you are still worried, you could report them and stress the poor living conditions. Or, probably better in the first instance, post them some official rabbit welfare info (eg print off bits from RWAF and post anonymously if you need to).

Back