• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hock Socks

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hello,

So a person I know in the US has a rabbit with sore hocks. It seems they are honestly at a loss as to why this is happening. Bun is currently on pain relief, daily litter tray changes and calendula application for the sores.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with sore hocks socks? And if so what do you think? Any recommendations for the US?

I have seen Wrabbit Socks which look good but it is an expensive investment if they weren’t to work, or make matters worse.

Thanks in advance guys. You always seem to have the best advice and it means the world that you take the time out to help us out! [emoji3590]

I use wrabbit socks on Walli and I think they have worked fairly well. They are a bit too loose on his feet. They are too loose on the foot and a bit too high up on the leg:? A smaller size is too small so the fit is not perfect unfortunately. They prevent him from getting open sores but the hocks are still red and without fur. I have only seen a little fur regrowth. They are supersoft and he accept them well apart from some chewing at the velcro so I have had to sew new velcro on a few times.
So all in all they work ok but not a miracle :)

I have also used handsewn socks made after Wallis measurements, these are made by Esther van Praag, don't know if she still sews them. They are a tighter and a bit better fit than the wrabbit socks but not at all so soft and the velcro is a bit hard.
Good luck with the rabbit!

Last edited:
Jane is the local expert on sore hocks. Hopefully she will see this in the morning. She's pretty much tried everything.

Rex rabbits are particularly prone to the condition. Carpets make it worse. Use deep hay on the floor, or sheets over carpet to help to reduce the abrasion. Keep nails short to maintain proper weight distribution on the feet. Also check for arthritis & similar, as that will similarly affect the feet.

With sore hocks I believe it is Trial and error to find a management regime that works. Some Rabbits will simply not tolerate having boots or bandages, I have a Rex who goes nuts if I attempt to bandage his hocks. He ends up stressing himself into gut stasis. Then I have had other Rabbits who were OK about wearing bandages. One in particular who had to wear them every day of her life from the age of about 2. So daily bandaging for almost 6 years.

Do you know the cause of your Rabbit’s sore hocks ? What treatment has the Vet prescribed ?

With sore hocks I believe it is Trial and error to find a management regime that works. Some Rabbits will simply not tolerate having boots or bandages, I have a Rex who goes nuts if I attempt to bandage his hocks. He ends up stressing himself into gut stasis. Then I have had other Rabbits who were OK about wearing bandages. One in particular who had to wear them every day of her life from the age of about 2. So daily bandaging for almost 6 years.

Do you know the cause of your Rabbit’s sore hocks ? What treatment has the Vet prescribed ?

Thanks for the reply guys and for the advice thus far. It’s sounding as though it might be worth testing out bandaging before investing incase it is completely intolerant for the bun.

From what I’ve gathered from this person, they really aren’t sure what the cause is, but is possibly due to an old injury which has subtly effected her gait. Their rabbit lives indoors, on a variety of different flooring and from what I’ve seen, is well taken care of. So far the vet has given them Meloxicam and cream (I said the name in the first message and cannot remember it now) and previously also has done epsom salt soaks too.

It’s sound as though she is in need of some maintenance/preventative care as this is going to be an ongoing thing on and off…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got baby socks from a coworker, worked really well with those rubber traction spots, but it was 10lbs rabbit. Before i had those socks I followed my vets advice and covered all my houses floores with corrugated cardboard. Worked too, the socks actually helped to mitigate another issue, spine related coordination problems.

Thanks for the reply guys and for the advice thus far. It’s sounding as though it might be worth testing out bandaging before investing incase it is completely intolerant for the bun.

From what I’ve gathered from this person, they really aren’t sure what the cause is, but is possibly due to an old injury which has subtly effected her gait. Their rabbit lives indoors, on a variety of different flooring and from what I’ve seen, is well taken care of. So far the vet has given them Meloxicam and cream (I said the name in the first message and cannot remember it now) and previously also has done epsom salt soaks too.

It’s sound as though she is in need of some maintenance/preventative care as this is going to be an ongoing thing on and off…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she is kept on carpet that will make sore hocks worse as carpet is abrasive. IME the only substrate that helps control an established case of sore hocks is soft deep hay. Obviously most people who keep House Rabbits are not happy to convert their home into a barn ( as I have done !! ) so covering carpeted area with cotton sheets/ duvet covers is an option. Although probably not pleasing to the eye of a house proud person……..

I bought 3 pairs and can’t get them on despite being made to his measurements. I’m too scared to force them in case I break his ankle etc. if you’re going to have them made consider the measurements being loose enough.

I bought 3 pairs and can’t get them on despite being made to his measurements. I’m too scared to force them in case I break his ankle etc. if you’re going to have them made consider the measurements being loose enough.
I had this problem with some as well. Try to unstitch a couple of stitches on the top of the sock ( were you put the foot in) so you get a bit more space to work with :)
Also try to get as much as possible of the front of the foot in the sock before you try to get it over the back of the foot/the hock.

Last edited:
I had this problem with some as well. Try to unstitch a couple of stitches on the top of the sock ( were you put the foot in) so you get a bit more space to work with :)
Also try to get as much as possible of the front of the foot in the sock before you try to get it over the back of the foot/the hock.

Yes already tried unstitching a few, will have to try more. I didn’t even attempt to get the back but over, I was still having trouble getting them over the middle of the foot 😬

Back