• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven update post 75 Dental 7-18-22

I'm glad he got to the dentist, he must be feeling more comfy now. Lots of recovery vibes for your boy

Thank you
He got syringe food this afternoon along with pain and motility meds. He is eating better tonight, though it will probably take a little more time for him to be back to his usual eating.

Brave boy Raven xx really hope he feels better soon and back to his normal self. That vet sounds wonderful, and compassionate.

Thank you friends.
This morning Raven ate some greens and made poos that looked better, so I went to an appointment. When I got home Raven passed some very soft poos or cecals that smelled bad. It was on him too, so I had to use a soft wet towel to wipe it off him.
I held back on motility meds, and monitored him. After he made some medium sized firm poo, and was eating his greens and a little hay, so I
hope it was from cisapride he got at 2am.
This evening he was eating greens much quicker than he was the past week, so that is more like my Raven. I hope he can improve hay eating over the weekend.

Thank you.
We can use a few vibes today.
At 4am this morning I woke to a bad smell. At first I blamed a skunk that left its scent in my yard this week, then checked Raven who left a few small spots of very soft smelly poo that were hardly formed.
I did a quick clean of him and his area and gave fluids which I considered doing before I went to sleep. He was still eating and active so I monitored him. He left a few stains on the newspaper where he was sitting and was sniffing and licking it, making me think cecal material.
Later he made more formed fecals and ate his greens, pellets and a tiny amount of hay.
When he passed less soft poo on Friday, I thought from cisapride which was stopped. He had one dose of metacloprimide because his poo has still not been his normal size consistency, yet that med never did this in the past.
He did have this isdue before dental. Though he is back to eating his greens well, he is still fussy with hay.
Ant thoughts?

Thanks Jane!
Today he left a small clump of cecals , so you are likely correct. I wonder if re starting syringe feeds to supplement his eating would help by increasing fiber.
I get so worried with bunny digestion.

Thanks Jane!
Today he left a small clump of cecals , so you are likely correct. I wonder if re starting syringe feeds to supplement his eating would help by increasing fiber.
I get so worried with bunny digestion.

Personally I wouldn’t. I would encourage him to eat more hay at it is that type of fibre he needs to re-establish the bacterial balance and functioning of his cecum.

It can take a couple of weeks for that to take place.

Back