• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven update post 75 Dental 7-18-22

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Raven was fine yesterday and at last night's cleaning he had lots of pee as usual and decent poo.
He ate his overnight greens yet refused his greens today. He barely made pee and he made only few very tiny poos.
In addition he hardly drank any water which is unlike him.
Last month he had blood squirt with urine so he got abx and vet follow up with nothing found.
There is no blood in his urine today, just very little pee. I worry this could be related, though last month he had normal poo and continued to eat.
Vet in surgery today and not available until monday, so I advised to give supportive care and usual stasis meds. He will also get abx like last month.
Please send vibes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the vibes RU Friends.

He made a big wee so at least his kidneys are functioning and he is able to pass urine. He passed a clump of cecals, yet not many poos, so may just need more time for the critical care to work through his system. He had very little food in his system when he got his first dose of motility meds. He is due for more soon. He ate a couple of tiny springs of carrot green, not even a full green; yet I hope it means he wants to eat.
He gets a modest dose of medicam nightly, so I just gave him a dose of medicam a few hours early since he seemed uncomfortable.
I am not sure if I am imagining it, yet he looks a bit tilted. He had a dose of baytril before I noticed this possible tilt.
He will get some more motility drugs when it is time to give more critical care.
Raven is usually so good with sub Q fluids, yet today he pulled away and I had to get a clean needle and start over.
He took critical care well earlier today so I hope he will be good for the next batch.

Does your Vet not see emergency cases on the day ? Having to wait til Monday seems very unreasonable to me :cry:

I really hope Raven will start to improve soon.

Does your Vet not see emergency cases on the day ? Having to wait til Monday seems very unreasonable to me :cry:

I really hope Raven will start to improve soon.

Vet was doing surgeries yesterday and he works alternating friday/saturday weeks.
Raven still will not eat on his own, though he did eat a few leaves of carrot greens. He took critical care well this morning.
His poo is still small and sparse so I need to syringe feed more often. I also added second motility med cisapride this morning.

Edit. Saw few horizontal eye movements when I picked him up for fluids. He also looks more tilted.
Send more vibes.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry that Raven is unwell. I think he's really lucky to have you and your knowledge of meds. Are you stroking him more? I find with mine that stasis makes them tense and a long stroking session relaxes them and makes them more inclined to nibble.

I'm really sorry that Raven is unwell. I think he's really lucky to have you and your knowledge of meds. Are you stroking him more? I find with mine that stasis makes them tense and a long stroking session relaxes them and makes them more inclined to nibble.
You are too kind. My vet always explains things to me and I learn a lot from our ru members, especially Jane.
Spouse gives him nice strokes which Raven enjoys. Raven got more active and was scratching the towel between eating when he was on the bed getting syringe fed yet he soon stopped. We tried the greens from carrots, yet he stopped after eating two leaves. At least he is not fighting syringe feeds.
He should have better output by now, so I need to keep trying to tempt Raven to eat.

I appreciate all the good vibes and like knowing what helped other bunnies.

I'm really sorry Raven isn't feeling well, and that you can't see the vet until Monday. :( Sending him lots of vibes, and I hope he'll start to feel better soon.

Raven is making very slow progress. He allows syringe feeds if I take my time. He gets sub q fluids and absorbes them much quicker than he did on Thursday, so that is good news.
He remains on meds. He still looks like his head/shoulder is curving to the right, yet he is able to wash himself and dig at the floor/towels without balance issues.
He ate a few greens and nibbled hay today; so I hope he will do better each day.
Thank you all for your support and vibes.

If he has head tilt has the Vet mentioned starting him on Fenbendazole or does Vet want to wait to do a PCR blood test for EC titres ? I know the Vet can’t see him yet but not sure if he/ she takes calls from clients.

If he has head tilt has the Vet mentioned starting him on Fenbendazole or does Vet want to wait to do a PCR blood test for EC titres ? I know the Vet can’t see him yet but not sure if he/ she takes calls from clients.

Thanks for suggestion. That would have been hard sell, plus overnight and today he has been eating his greens right away!!!:). He is also looking better.
I skipped his syringe feed this morning and thinking of doing one for dinner to keep fiber intake good.
I hope he will soon eat more hay and pellets.
He will not be himself until he begs for his fiber treat sticks.
With better output, still not normal size, considering less frequent motility drugs , yet will take that slow.
Hugs to you and others who gave Raven support. I am cautiously optimistic today, yet was a wreck with worry until now.

Back