• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued and pregnant

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hello.

So I’m asking for some advice on behalf of a friend.

Basically they rescued two rabbits, one of which it turns out is pregnant. A few days ago the non-pregnant rabbit (female) broke into the pen of the pregnant rabbit and they have been inseparable since.

They want to know what to do when the rabbit gives birth? They are due any day. Should they separate the two rabbits (the non-preg bun is not neutered if that makes a difference) to save from any potential disturbance they may cause the litter and mum, or keep them together as it could be upsetting for the rabbits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that two females, both unspayed and one pregnant, have bonded like this. Were they together previously? If it were me I would separate them now if the birth is imminent, as I would be worried about aggression, but that's not from any past experience with this sort of situation.

I presume that the sex of the unpregnant rabbit has been confirmed?

I'm surprised that two females, both unspayed and one pregnant, have bonded like this. Were they together previously? If it were me I would separate them now if the birth is imminent, as I would be worried about aggression, but that's not from any past experience with this sort of situation.

They were rescued from outside, essentially there was a huge amount of stray rabbits in a location and they tried to catch as many as they could.
So other than them being strays, it’s impossible to say about their background other than they are both very young.

Sex is confirmed, visited the vet and being treated appropriately for whatever ailments are going on with them besides the pregnancy.

It’s just difficult as you don’t want to upset them by separating them if they are actually bonded. But it’s just so unusual given that they are not neutured.

My first thought.

I think I would still separate them and if possible house them so they could still see each other. Once the kits have become independent of Mum, then the two Does could be rebonded.

Others may have experience of this sort of situation and give different advice, but my instinct tells me that it might not end well.

ETA is your friend planning to have them both spayed ?

Last edited:
I think I would still separate them and if possible house them so they could still see each other. Once the kits have become independent of Mum, then the two Does could be rebonded.

Others may have experience of this sort of situation and give different advice, but my instinct tells me that it might not end well.

I have known someone who did manage to keep the two rabbits together in a similar situation. But I am aware that that may have just been luck!

I think side by side is sounding like the best option here.

What about putting the adults together, somewhere they can’t get to the kits, during the time that mum isn’t feeding kits whilst they aren’t really moving? Seeing as it’s only every 12 hours?

Do you think that might be a bit too faffy? I suppose it’ll still lead to the inevitable separation at some point when the kits are moving.

Hello.

So I’m asking for some advice on behalf of a friend.

Basically they rescued two rabbits, one of which it turns out is pregnant. A few days ago the non-pregnant rabbit (female) broke into the pen of the pregnant rabbit and they have been inseparable since.

They want to know what to do when the rabbit gives birth? They are due any day. Should they separate the two rabbits (the non-preg bun is not neutered if that makes a difference) to save from any potential disturbance they may cause the litter and mum, or keep them together as it could be upsetting for the rabbits?

The dynamics of the bond can change dramatically once kindling occurs. The Mum Bun can attack the other Rabbit in order to protect her Kits. If you are going to keep them together you are going to have to monitor them all the time. I have only known it to work if two Sisters or Mum and a Daughter from a previous litter are together and one kindles a litter. Or if two unrelated Does both Kindle a litter around the same time. The Does need to be housed in a large environment. with several places for them to opt to build their nest.Definitely not just a hutch. Good luck.

Back