• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A friend for Boobly Bear

TBH I do like the stick with it method but as you say its not practical for a lot of people a lot of the time. I think the bunnies know where they are at better. this "bonding" I'm doing now is kinda working so I can get away with it so far:lol: Some bunnies are just so lovely to bond, like Rudey & Mouse just melted together. I mainly need to work on my self confidence now. I know there is no animosity between them, they enjoy closeness. I need to be assured when he moves quickly towards Boo she doesn't become reactive. I feel I need to get her used to his speed:lol: I need to at least start observing from the sofa rather than within hands reach of Boo:lol: i'm glad you're inspired BB. Apparently the daily dates can get frustrating for bunnies (I've read this more than experienced it). That said if this approach feels more manageable for you defo try it. My number one thing is to be calm & encouraging when bonding starts & be aware of vibes / atmospheres. Gosh I sound like a right hippy :lol:
I break so many bonding rules i'm embarassed to talk about it :lol:

I think the "rules" I have been given are far too rigid and the fact that I can't fit them round my life has just made me not do it. The former rescue owner who used to bond for me will only bond one male and one female, groups have to be one male and several females. I keep reading all over the interweb of successful bonds that are not this combination and I need to try them as that is just so restrictive. I have generally had more males than females. I swear I will try Percy and Spirit this weekend. I now have a pen in my bedroom where Zak very peacefully lives but I can relocate him (poor lad) and use that ideal spot for bonding.

I’m following this from my ‘fence’ - with huge admiration and respect for you. What you are doing in many ways mirrors the situation I had 11 months ago and I wish I had a fraction of the courage and patience you have.
I felt truly awful handing Flo back to be blue cross but after a month we got a beautifully bonded pair.
Eddie sounds very much like Alfred on his enthusiasm and his explorative ways. It’s beautiful to read and I can see Eddie becoming more and more confident, happy, and able to be the bunny he deserves to be with you and especially with Boo.
This is such a wonderful journey. :love:

I break so many bonding rules i'm embarassed to talk about it :lol:
Rules, schmules! Bunnies don't follow the rules so why should we :lol: But I also agree the stick with it method works well for me and mine, even if it was together with barrier. And we never had true aggression, just peed-off-ness. I think if there was any true aggression at the outset (rather than from other triggers etc.) I wouldn't continue, I wouldn't be comfortable about it. Like an arranged marriage, they can work even if you start off hating each other but life's too short and you don't have to, so why do it with bunnies?

Rules, schmules! Bunnies don't follow the rules so why should we :lol: But I also agree the stick with it method works well for me and mine, even if it was together with barrier. And we never had true aggression, just peed-off-ness. I think if there was any true aggression at the outset (rather than from other triggers etc.) I wouldn't continue, I wouldn't be comfortable about it. Like an arranged marriage, they can work even if you start off hating each other but life's too short and you don't have to, so why do it with bunnies?

good point. Plus who made these rules - it certainly wasn't bunnies :lol:

Slight name change - kind of. So formally I'm gonna call him Eddison which is a nod to his pre-adoption name of grayson (way too many people said "after Grayson Perry"...i mean they couldn't look more different :lol:) But generally he will be Eddy (Chip monk, misterman, boyo, sweetiepie, poop monster...we all know how it goes :lol:)

They are so cute today
gc6yCsrm.jpg

Ml9Eqakm.jpg

Slight name change - kind of. So formally I'm gonna call him Eddison which is a nod to his pre-adoption name of grayson (way too many people said "after Grayson Perry"...i mean they couldn't look more different :lol:) But generally he will be Eddy (Chip monk, misterman, boyo, sweetiepie, poop monster...we all know how it goes :lol:)

This always my problem when I had insurance, name had to go on the policy so I felt under pressure with the name.

They are looking very contented together already.

Pic 2: is that desperation snuggle seeking? Barrie hasn't got that far yet, but he's done the full body shove, but Chibbs is a bit smaller than him so she just sods off because he's basically nicked her spot at that point :lol: Matt is a fan of keeping ends of bunny names :)

Thanks everyone. Grumpy old Boo just grunted & did a little fur pull

kdfSJrKm.jpg

He was basically just bobbing around her, being a tad OTT but nice asking for groomies. Significantly (I think) I'd remained on the sofa so none of the usual reassurance & calming from me. I now at least know I can read my bunnies fairly well

He is a smart bunny, so hope he will quickly figure out what made Boo tell him off. They are so cute together.

He is a smart bunny, so hope he will quickly figure out what made Boo tell him off. They are so cute together.

Yes hopefully! He is smart & apart from being a little keen his behaviour has been spot on. He really is a lovely bunny :love:
And Boo being grumpy is understandable. Bob was really worried about the amount of fur pulled (I know, its nothing)

Forgot the strawberries again

Fudgie and Scipio have taken a long time to cement their bond. It's only really been in the last two or three weeks that they have spent any significant time snuggling together.

A lot of the problem was that Fudgie is quite skittish and scares easily. Scipio had a tendency be a bit full on and to make sudden, rapid movements which frequently sent her running for cover.

However Scipio has learned to adjust his behaviour and is much slower and gentler when he approaches Fudgie now. That's helped her to relax and be more confident around him and, in turn, she's gotten more used to his little quirks and is coming to understand that he doesn't mean her any harm.

It's actually quite fascinating to see bunnies adapt and accommodate behaviour. I'm sure Boo and Eddy will be the same, although I hope they won't take as long as my two have!

Fudgie and Scipio have taken a long time to cement their bond. It's only really been in the last two or three weeks that they have spent any significant time snuggling together.

A lot of the problem was that Fudgie is quite skittish and scares easily. Scipio had a tendency be a bit full on and to make sudden, rapid movements which frequently sent her running for cover.

However Scipio has learned to adjust his behaviour and is much slower and gentler when he approaches Fudgie now. That's helped her to relax and be more confident around him and, in turn, she's gotten more used to his little quirks and is coming to understand that he doesn't mean her any harm.

It's actually quite fascinating to see bunnies adapt and accommodate behaviour. I'm sure Boo and Eddy will be the same, although I hope they won't take as long as my two have!

thats interesting & reassuring to read - thanks Scrappy. Its good Scipio has learnt to approach more softly & I shall have faith my clever little boy will do the same. I'm very proud he didn't retaliate. Boo looks like an old mother hen when he's burrowing under her

No worries. I actually think we're in a very similar position in that we're bonding older ladies with younger, more energetic bucks!

Indeed! Have you tried handling Scipio yet? Eddy is insane - never had an unhandleable bun & never really understood what it meant til now :lol: He has actually approached her more gently already & given her ears a few kisses. When he lies by her side he burrows under her less & no incessant nudging tonight.

Back