• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom not Herself

Is there any special care I should be offering her eye on the down tilt apart from cleaning?

Will speak to the vet tomorrow but we're a little bit worried about it, her up eye bulges a bit when we're setting up for meds and then calms down so have assumed that was stress but noticed today her down eye doesn't seem to do that.

Hubby thinks she's not got vision in the eye but I'm wondering if it's that the tilt means it just all wonky.

Also any tips for getting critical care mats off her chin/cheek would be good, I've tried damping it and combing but it's quite sensitive and not seeming to have much impact?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Is there any special care I should be offering her eye on the down tilt apart from cleaning?

Will speak to the vet tomorrow but we're a little bit worried about it, her up eye bulges a bit when we're setting up for meds and then calms down so have assumed that was stress but noticed today her down eye doesn't seem to do that.

Hubby thinks she's not got vision in the eye but I'm wondering if it's that the tilt means it just all wonky.

Also any tips for getting critical care mats off her chin/cheek would be good, I've tried damping it and combing but it's quite sensitive and not seeming to have much impact?

Usually an eye lubricant gel is needed but it might be necessary for the Vet to check her intraoccular pressures. EC can effect the eyes too.

To clean off CC it is best to do it after each feed before it dries. I uses a wet pad of cotton wool to do this then pat the area dry with kitchen roll paper.

If there is already lots of very dry matts of CC in fur around her mouth and face then it will be a more complicated job probably best left to a Vet and VN as the matts would need clipping out.

Sending more vibes for Blossom.
Critical care can be difficult to remove once dry. It can be stressful to the bunny too, so it can take multiple attempts and still not remove it all.
Roll dry, crusted fur between fingers to see if some will crumble away, if not cutting fur may be only option, though I would keep a comb between skin and scissors so you do not accidentally cut skin, though best to leave it to the vet office as IM suggested.

Sending more positive vibes .

Thank you, I've taken some photos for the vet and will ask them if they need to see her.

I had a go at rolling the matts and I think we are probably looking at having them clipped out, I feel stupid for not checking them before.

We had the weekend off ranitidine and metacam finished last night, her poo has already started to shrink on size and quantity unfortunately and hubby said she felt quite stiff this morning and probably needed the metacam so will be asking for more.

Thank you, I've taken some photos for the vet and will ask them if they need to see her.

I had a go at rolling the matts and I think we are probably looking at having them clipped out, I feel stupid for not checking them before.

We had the weekend off ranitidine and metacam finished last night, her poo has already started to shrink on size and quantity unfortunately and hubby said she felt quite stiff this morning and probably needed the metacam so will be asking for more.

If you are in a position to be able to afford it consulting a Veterinary Physiotherapist would be very beneficial. They can not only give Physio sessions, laser therapy etc, but they can also suggest a Physio regime for you to carry out daily at home. Your Vet should know of some Veterinary Physios that you could consult :)

If you are in a position to be able to afford it consulting a Veterinary Physiotherapist would be very beneficial. They can not only give Physio sessions, laser therapy etc, but they can also suggest a Physio regime for you to carry out daily at home. Your Vet should know of some Veterinary Physios that you could consult :)
Yes I've been thinking that might be a good idea. We've been following some suggestions from Disabled Rabbits site which she seems to find relaxing in terms of massage.

I think petplan might cover physio, it depends on if its considered an alternative therapy. Otherwise I think we'll have to find a way to pay if it might help her long term.

She certainly seems be enjoying heat therapy, she only comes away from the snugglesafe for essentials bless her.

Yes I've been thinking that might be a good idea. We've been following some suggestions from Disabled Rabbits site which she seems to find relaxing in terms of massage.

I think petplan might cover physio, it depends on if its considered an alternative therapy. Otherwise I think we'll have to find a way to pay if it might help her long term.

She certainly seems be enjoying heat therapy, she only comes away from the snugglesafe for essentials bless her.

AFAIK Pet Plan does cover physio.

Topping up the vibes for her, and sending some hugs for you. I know it’s hard work nursing poorly pets xx

Thank you for the vibes.

The vet has issued more of all her meds for us and some eye lubricant for her.

Fingers crossed this keeps her comfortable, he also advised we split her feeds so they're more regular and see if that helps her poo as she might take more over a more spread out period.

Splitting her feeds would seem good advice. Also, if you know of any strong-tasting herbs that she likes, you could whizz some of them up into the CC mix to tempt her more. I presume you have also tried mixing something like Ella's babyfood into the mix?

glad you got more meds. I didn't see Noodles eye for 5 weeks :( she only had one & that was at floor level as her tilt was so severe. it was fine though. I was amazed when she came through it how minor her head tilt was. I hope the plan re feeding more regularly helps. Lots of vibes for beautiful Blossom:love:

glad you got more meds. I didn't see Noodles eye for 5 weeks :( she only had one & that was at floor level as her tilt was so severe. it was fine though. I was amazed when she came through it how minor her head tilt was. I hope the plan re feeding more regularly helps. Lots of vibes for beautiful Blossom:love:
That's so reassuring to hear thank you. Although must have been so hard for you!

I'm going to pick up some baby food as I keep jamming all my syringes as well. Critical care is not their friend [emoji1787] she actually seems to enjoy it, just not the delivery method. I've tried offering it differently but I think she associates the smell with handling.

Some vet bed arrived today and we've used that to give her some extra comfort and I can see her leaning her head against it where its padding the wall of her house bless her.

Syringes can jam if plunger gets worn or hole is too small. You can try to stretch the hole with a fork prong, tip of small scissors or other item. My syringes come with long tapered tips so I trim off a little and smooth it with nail file.
I am sending her more vibes.

I'm sorry to ask more questions is there any eye lubricant that I can get otc?

The vets don't have any in til Wednesday and I was so late to get there the vet had gone so couldn't advise on it.

The vets don't have any in til Wednesday and I was so late to get there the vet had gone so couldn't advise on it.

Wednesdays not so far away. IMO you can't be too careful with eyes so I reckon I'd wait for what she is prescribed.

My Vet has recommended these https://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Celluvisc-1-wv-Eye-Drops-Single-Dose-Containers-30.html. When going through online check out/ in store purchase ( pharmacy) you have to state they are for yourself though, otherwise the purchase won’t be accepted.

Thank you.

We're having a good day today, she's been basking in the sun rays a bit and now waiting for her nugget delivery!

Still no hay munching but more frequent feeds are going well and although she hasn't eaten it the readigrass seems to attract her attention to sniff about si hopefully she'll try some soon.
e5aae2cef76c6492869d243a4e29a91b.jpg

Thank you.

We're having a good day today, she's been basking in the sun rays a bit and now waiting for her nugget delivery!

Still no hay munching but more frequent feeds are going well and although she hasn't eaten it the readigrass seems to attract her attention to sniff about si hopefully she'll try some soon.
e5aae2cef76c6492869d243a4e29a91b.jpg

Aww bless her, glad she's been enjoying a bit of sunshine, and looking forward to her nuggets :)

Back