• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom not Herself

Like Jane said, some tilt can remain. When she is no longer dizzy she may benefit from some gentle PT to keep her flexible.
My tilt bunnies would be worse after they were handled or after they were trying to move around . This is typical.
Have her eye movements-nystagmus-gone away or do they return at times? One of my bunnies would track my movements with his entire head as he improved.

Sending more vibes.

Her nystagmus is very occasional mostly when handled. She's popped out and sat near a very indignant Rodney on each side of the cage.

Rodney bless him is most upset that he has to have medicine also, and he despises carrot flavour.

Is pancur pscription only? It cost an arm and a leg at the vets and I'm thinking we should have some on hand in the future.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Her nystagmus is very occasional mostly when handled. She's popped out and sat near a very indignant Rodney on each side of the cage.

Rodney bless him is most upset that he has to have medicine also, and he despises carrot flavour.

Is pancur pscription only? It cost an arm and a leg at the vets and I'm thinking we should have some on hand in the future.

You can buy Panacur without a prescription. I use the 10% Liquid, exactly the same active ingredient ( Fenbendazole), A LOT more economical and much easier to give a weight specific dose which for the 10% Liquid is 0.2ml/kg/day. The liquid is tasteless ( yes, I have….) and far easier to syringe into a Bunny than the paste.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-10-oral-suspension-100ml

Buying Panacur Paste from a Vet will be silly amounts of £££££

You can buy Panacur without a prescription. I use the 10% Liquid, exactly the same active ingredient ( Fenbendazole), A LOT more economical and much easier to give a weight specific dose which for the 10% Liquid is 0.2ml/kg/day. The liquid is tasteless ( yes, I have….) and far easier to syringe into a Bunny than the paste.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-10-oral-suspension-100ml

Buying Panacur Paste from a Vet will be silly amounts of £££££
Awesome thank you! Rodney will much prefer that bless him.

I remember we gave pancur to our first rabbits when they came home on the recommendation of the vet and they liked it so much they just licked it off the end of the tube!

And my bank balance may be saved, we're still not 100% Blossom's insurance is going to cover this as her first symptom was stasis and they've put an exclusion on her for that because she had an episode in rescue despite me trying to explain it would have been due to stress of being captured off the streets.

Aw, poor Rodney, not liking the Panacur. I'm sorry Blossom's head tilt was so bad this morning, too. I'm glad she's still enjoying her food, at least. :love: Sending her lots more vibes.

Here she is waiting not very patiently for her nuggets!

She's come the door a few more times today so moving a bit more which might explain the increased tilt as well.
2cc20847ff4ac43cc454fdfa2d5907cc.jpg

Oh bless her, waiting patiently for her nuggets. I really hope that the meds help to make a full recovery. You are doing a great job looking after her xx

We had rolling and falling this evening despite covering her eyes for picking up. Hubby especially was very distressed by it as he's the one trying to hold her and she was almost turning circles in his arms.

We popped her on a table which helped a little but she was at almost 90 degrees.

I think we're going to have to try floor feeding for her to see if that helps. Hubby us going to roll a towel around her.

She does seem to enjoy him massaging her neck while he has her so he's going to try and do that while we feed her.

Yes, I think that floor feeding is likely to help and just moving her as little as possible really. I think it's really positive that she seems to be happier to move around a little herself now though. She seems to be slowly getting more used to the sensations she's feeling.

Is she eating better herself now? Sending her lots more vibes.

Yes, I think that floor feeding is likely to help and just moving her as little as possible really. I think it's really positive that she seems to be happier to move around a little herself now though. She seems to be slowly getting more used to the sensations she's feeling.

Is she eating better herself now? Sending her lots more vibes.
A little bit, we've seen her pick up a few bits of hay here and there. And she's currently eating an apple stick.

And she now knows the noise of me coming in from the garden and waits at her door for fresh forage each time.

I fear I may need to find a new source of plants soon!

Her poos are improving in size although still not as many as I'd like.

I've seen pictures of bad head tilt buns before I suppose it just didn't prepare us for seeing her like that as it had been mild.

It can be distressing to see a rolling circling head tilt bunny, so seeing her waiting for greens/forage/nuggets can be a comfort.
I wish I had before and after videos of a couple of my head tilt bunnies to share because you would not believe the improvement.
My problem was determining how much improvement the bunny had from day to day. A short video taken every few days may allow you to see the progress,.
Sending more vibes for Blossom , Rodney, you and your oh.

Thank you, the nurse did suggest videos but I keep forgetting!

Syringing this morning was awful, I think her poor cheek is covered in critical care. She found being on the floor quite strange but hopefully long term it will help.

She clamped her mouth shut after the metacam and I wasn't willing to fight her for more.

I'm calling the vets to update this morning, and hopefully get more rantidine and metacam as I think she's going to need those for a good while.

I would ask the Vet for some Prochlorperazine to have on standby if Blossom has a really bad day with rolling. The severity of EC symptoms can be very changeable, one day you think things are a lot better only to have the next day full of full on rolling numerous times.

The less you have to lift her up the better. This video might help show you how to give meds and syringe feeds whilst Bunny is on the floor. Hubby could do the kneeling and holding, whilst you do the feeding/ medicating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI&t=11s

Thank you I spoke to a new vet as all exotic vets are on a course today.

She's pscribed some pills to be taken three times a day for me to pick up after work.

She did say they can cause some side effects like muscle weakness etc and sometimes allergic reactions too so I am feeling a bit ambiguous about them but good to gave on hand.

The video looked helpful, Blossom isn't that complicit usually but it might work for us. She definitely seems to like having something on all sides.

Her nails are long which might be contributing to her movement problems, the vets were going to do them as they're impossible for us but I don't think they wanted to stress her and neither do we it's a bit of a dilemma.

Thank you I spoke to a new vet as all exotic vets are on a course today.

She's pscribed some pills to be taken three times a day for me to pick up after work.

She did say they can cause some side effects like muscle weakness etc and sometimes allergic reactions too so I am feeling a bit ambiguous about them but good to gave on hand.

The video looked helpful, Blossom isn't that complicit usually but it might work for us. She definitely seems to like having something on all sides.

Her nails are long which might be contributing to her movement problems, the vets were going to do them as they're impossible for us but I don't think they wanted to stress her and neither do we it's a bit of a dilemma.

What is the name of the new Meds ?

She didn't say I shall post when I pick them up hopefully around 5 if traffic works my way [emoji16]

Back