• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom not Herself

Having a few bad days in a row now. At two weeks in its so demoralising even though we know its expected.

Bless her she rolls a fair amount and sort of corkscrews herself to get right again.

She's so unhappy about all the care and cleaning especially as it's harder to get it all out now as she's worked out how to dribble critical care back out.

She's still only eating fresh food and nuggets but I'm starting to wonder if she eats a bit overnight when she knows we won't handle her. She blends so our camera doesn't pick her movements up much at night.

On the plus side her poo seems to be doing OK, good size but not loads but then she's not eating loads, critical care probably doesn't produce much.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Is she having the Prochlorperazine regularly ?

I would not worry about her lack of hay eating at the moment.
Yes three times a day, it does seem to help about an hour afterwards but definitely wears off before the next dose is due.

The vet said she's on the right dose for her weight so we can't change that. I do need to weigh her today though to check she's not losing.

Hubby thinks she sort of throws herself into it to try and get away from us but I can't imagine she's doing it deliberately but more about not wanting the handling.

Thank you.

We've had a couple of good days in a row again now. It definitely seems to come in waves of worse and better.

We're seeing her out and about in her cage a lot more and think she's eating at least some hay at night or at least moving it around her cage.

She's getting very sassy about meds and food bless her which is lovely to see. We now get thumps which she didn't manage before and she's very firm with her nudges for groomies. She's definitely getting around easier and quicker.

We did a full disinfect yesterday and she was thrilled with all the things moving and had a good explore.

Fingers crossed we're getting there! Her next appointment is the 21st and we'll be weaning her off meds a few days before and see how we go.

Thank you.

We've had a couple of good days in a row again now. It definitely seems to come in waves of worse and better.

We're seeing her out and about in her cage a lot more and think she's eating at least some hay at night or at least moving it around her cage.

She's getting very sassy about meds and food bless her which is lovely to see. We now get thumps which she didn't manage before and she's very firm with her nudges for groomies. She's definitely getting around easier and quicker.

We did a full disinfect yesterday and she was thrilled with all the things moving and had a good explore.

Fingers crossed we're getting there! Her next appointment is the 21st and we'll be weaning her off meds a few days before and see how we go.

its nice to hear of her being Blossom like and that you can tell she is getting stronger

Well done!
It sounds like she is on the road to a full recovery.
Sending vibes weaning off meds goes smoothly. It sounds like she decided it is time!

Here's Blossom today eating my rose trimmings.

We've been off dizziness meds for a few days now and her balance and tilt seem OK. Just tomorrow left for pancur and metacam and then vets on Thursday for repeat bloods.

She's still on a lot of syringe feed, we're trialling dropping the lunchtime feed to see if her eating picks up a bit.

She's now so good when we go in to her cage she demands groomies and then walks over to hubby to get in position bless her
32e86affcf4504c2ea4e9b61c02823c2.jpg

Back