• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom not Herself

Blossom ate her breakfast romaine leaf this morning but is very quiet and not going for her hay as usual.

Her ears are cool and while she took a dandelion leaf from me she refused grass as well which is just unlike her. I have seen her eat a ceco this morning which seems out of sync as those are usually lunchtimeish.

Rodney has been a hump pest this week and I fear they've had an upset overnight with tufts of fur loose and Rodney is full of the joys of spring.

I do wonder if maybe she's just wanting some alone time as she's had a disrupted night but I'm worried. But she's not showing any discomfort signs so I'm not sure whether a trip to the vets is best.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Is she going through a moult at the moment, my bridge bun Treacle used to be a bit off colour when she was moulting. Sounds like Rodney has got a touch of spring fever, so hat might be upsetting her. If you are worried though, a call to the vet might be wise.

No I don't think it is,I changed their loo last night and the poo in is smaller than usual but the right quantity but I can't be 100% sure it's not Rodney's because his poo is smaller than hers usually.

I am watching her on the camera and she's munching cecos every so often and has popped herself beside the snugglesafe I've put in.

Rodney isn't too skilled at humping often gets on backwards or humps her side so it is very possible he's done something. I might see if we can grab her and check if she's sensitive.

I've grabbed her and given her a bit of a check. I think we're looking at gas, I didn't need my stethoscope to hear her gurgles. I gave her some belly rubs which were tolerated well and her stomach feels fairly nor am.

Rodney is moulting so that's definitely a possibility. I try to brush most of it bit he hates it so it's a daily battle.

She teeth chatted as she normally does when I rub her cheeks and didn't flinch at anything else.

I know it's silly but I hate being a frequent flyer at the vets with my worries and last time she was admitted for stasis admittedly over a year ago, they gave her fluids and sent her home after she took out 4 iv lines.

Gosh it's such a challenge balancing the "do I wait and see if she just had an off morning and will be fine in a couple of hours" and "lets take her to the vets immediately to catch stasis before it develops".

Do you have any pain relief at home? That would be my next step and something I've done many times in the past. I'd give Blossom some metacam/loxicom and then leave her alone for a couple of hours and then see whether she's back to her normal self. If you don't have pain relief, then go with your gut. It's better to be a frequent flyer at the vets and keep her tip-top, than wait until she's desperately ill.

Sending her lots of good vibes, hopefully it's just the spring fever kerfuffle that's made her feel a bit wonky this morning.

I have pain relief so I've given her a metacam dose with 4ml of critical care so it's not on an empty stomach.

I'm watching her constantly on the camera and she's grooming and had the tiny treat I gave her for being handled.

I'm gonna send hubby hunting for some brambles or maybe trim my roses a bit. She likes those.

No poo yet unless she's doing them where she's sat which I'll check in a bit.

Is too many cecos a bad thing? It does seem a lot today.

Hmm she seems to have settled she looks comfy and ears are up. Eyes are squinty but she's sat in the sunbeam so that's usual.

She's eaten some of the fresh garden bits I've offered but not all of it although it's not really eating time now.

I wonder if a morning without Rodney was needed as I've kept him entertained in the other room and he's now sleeping deeply.

I think we'll check her over again at 3ish and I'll see if I can hear her gurgling away or if things have settled or gone quiet and then judge on this as our ooh vet isn't in house at the moment and I don't really want to try the new service if I don't have to.

Sending vibes for Blossom. The critical care and pain meds are good options for gi issues.
She may benefit from sub q fluids too. A call to vets may be helpful.

Well her gut sounds normal for her.

She's eaten some wet green stuffs mostly from my garden roses and a small amount of hay.

I've syringed her water for now in the hopes of getting her fluids up although I know it's not as good as sub q, our vets won't let me have those at home as they wouldn't be able to show me how with Covid rules

Still no poo though so I think we probably will end up at the ooh vet later as 5pm would be 12 hours with no output.

Bless the vets they squeezed us into normal hours.

She has gut slowdown and slightly low temp with no obvious cause except possibly a stressful night.

She's had sub q fluids and discharged home with metacam and rantidine. They did offer to admit them but last time she had to be discharged early due to stress and I paid for a lot of extra Iv lines!

Fingers crossed this sorts it out, if not back for blood tests and imaging.

Bless the vets they squeezed us into normal hours.

She has gut slowdown and slightly low temp with no obvious cause except possibly a stressful night.

She's had sub q fluids and discharged home with metacam and rantidine. They did offer to admit them but last time she had to be discharged early due to stress and I paid for a lot of extra Iv lines!

Fingers crossed this sorts it out, if not back for blood tests and imaging.

Glad you managed to get seen by your vets. Hopefully the meds and fluids will help and she will be feeling lots better soon.

Thank you for all the vibes.

Blossom spent the night on the snugglesafe in their cage. We picked her up for syringe feeding at 8am and she had a couple of very dry small poo underneath her.

It's a good sign, but her demeanour isn't great today, very much hidden away and quiet. I suspect the frequent handling is bothering her a lot.

I hadn't fed her much yesterday in case there was a blockage whereas now she's had two big syringe feeds I'm hoping things will start moving through, she's due some rantidine at 11.

We'll be deciding at lunchtime whether she needs to go back to the vets.

Rodney is also acting strange and poo has shrunk, which I'm hoping is due to the vet trip rather than something environmental that's affecting them that we've not picked up on.

Did the Vet give Blossom some fluids yesterday ? Is she drinking ? IME fluids given both orally and SQ/IV can make a huge difference when treating gut stasis.

Did the Vet give Blossom some fluids yesterday ? Is she drinking ? IME fluids given both orally and SQ/IV can make a huge difference when treating gut stasis.
She had sub q fluids at the vets yesterday, she is not drinking but did eat some wet greens yesterday but refused today. She passed urine yesterday not long after we got back.

I'm making critical care quite sloppy as she is quite a big drinker usually so she must be missing it.

I think if we go in today the plan would be Iv fluids, blood tests and imaging.

Her eyes seem a bit wet this morning, Rodney normally cleans her eyes very often so I wonder if we've missed a teeth symptom there as they were dry at the vets yesterday.

Back