• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible sniffles

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, Iv just noticed Bella has wetness under her nose & she’s been making strange noises. I thought the noises were honking but now Iv seen & felt the vet nose. Could this be sniffles & am I right in thinking she needs to go to out of hours vets? I’ve rang them so waiting on a call back. She could need her teeth done again could that cause this? She went 2 weeks ago was ok for teeth. She gets checked every 4 weeks but it’s been round about same time as last between her dental & at that stage her spurs were cutting her tongue. She’s had 2 dentals so far. I’ve read about sniffles & im so worried or it could be some kind of respiratory infection. I’ve seen a few cecotropes & she never leaves them anymore after being on daily metacalm. I’m thinking this is also a sign somethings not right. Should I be rushing her in or will she be ok till tomo? Thank you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She’s hopping about upstairs in our room completely fine & eating & drinking but I don’t know what to do xx

I wouldn't take her to the out of hours if she's otherwise well, I'd want her seen within the next few days but a standard consultation should do. Hope you get some answers then

I wouldn't take her to the out of hours if she's otherwise well, I'd want her seen within the next few days but a standard consultation should do. Hope you get some answers then

Hi liz, ok thank you. She’s seeming absolutely fine. Iv let them out in upstairs landing & she’s hopping all over & came in our bedroom lol. My males reluctant as he’s a very scared bun. Her nose was wet under but I thought the mouse was honking as that’s what it sounded like. She’s eating & drinking fine xx

If she is breathing well, which she must be if she is running around, and her lip,nose color is good, I would wait to call regular vet.

If she is breathing well, which she must be if she is running around, and her lip,nose color is good, I would wait to call regular vet.

Hi, thank you. Yes she is & running up & down stairs lol. I think I’ve got paranoid again xx

Hi all. I’m phoning vets tomo to take her in. She seems ok & think I’ve freaked out again. She’s running up & down stairs. I’m going to ask for bloods & nose swab just do my minds at ease. It could have been wet with water but I need to stop googling things & hopefully not worry so much convincing myself of things. I’ve not heard back from out of hours vets as of now. I’m heading to bed & im going in the bedroom with them tonight to keep an eye & have camera set up. Just heading to bed night night all xx

It is always good to have vet determine if runny nose from irritant like hay, dust, cleaning products, loose fur, or if she would benefit from abx.
Bella sounds lovely.

Sorry to hear about your worries about Bellas nose, hope it's nice and dry this morning. I hope you managed to sleep last night xx

It could also be some other bacterias or sinus iritation. If she eats fine, hops around I would not take her to emergency vet. If there is not any discharge I would not worry much.

It is always good to have vet determine if runny nose from irritant like hay, dust, cleaning products, loose fur, or if she would benefit from abx.
Bella sounds lovely.

Hi, thank you. Yes that’s it could be that. She was in a new room, my sons for bonding & something in there could have caused it. They are now both in kitchen until eventually free roam of house xx

It could also be some other bacterias or sinus iritation. If she eats fine, hops around I would not take her to emergency vet. If there is not any discharge I would not worry much.

Hi, thank you. She’s ok & never heard back from vets xx

Hi all, bellas nose is still wet. Nothing major but it is coming from her nostrils & she tries to lick it. She had been in a new room for bonding so could be something in there. So I’ve spent the morning changing my vet practice. Just received a call that all set & she’s registered & they have her medical records. I’m going to phone for an appointment as want this checked out. It could be just her teeth need done or allergy related but I’m going to ask for some tests for the runny nose to rule out anything else. She is definitely got stuff coming from nose & that’s not normal for her. I hope it’s nothing serious & after tests will put my mind at ease. At least if they come back clear will know it’s an irritant & they will check her teeth as it’s near time again for them between last one & her first dental. She’s had 2 so far. Thank you for comments & will keep posted xx

I would also want it checking out / antibiotics if appropriate, before it gets worse - which is fairly inevitable with bunnies. I hope everything goes OK.

I would also want it checking out / antibiotics if appropriate, before it gets worse - which is fairly inevitable with bunnies. I hope everything goes OK.

Hi shimmer, thank you. She’s got an appointment at 9 tomo. It doesn’t seem as bad now I’ve moved them out of my sons room. They said on phone if she still ok & eating/drinking & it’s not a lot of mucus stuff she should be ok for tomo & that they are really busy. I’ve just got home as had to rush my little girl to dentist & she’s on antibiotics for an abscess. I’m thinking it’s her teeth again but I can’t be sure. I’m going to ask for bloods & swabs of nose tomo to check for stuff. I do want that done as even if it’s just an irritant from dust or something I can’t just accept that incase it’s something else. I never did get a call back from emergency vet lastnight but I’ve moved practice as of today & seeing them tomo. They have a vet who worked with exotic animals & another who’s undergoing extra training in exotics. Also a lady from where I live takes her dental bun there so hopefully a better practice for her. I’m glad it’s not as bad now & looks drier. I do panic about everything & think the worse. Xx

I really hope vet visit goes well, and being thorough will put your mind at rest. Hope your little girls abscess clears up soon too xx

I really hope vet visit goes well, and being thorough will put your mind at rest. Hope your little girls abscess clears up soon too xx

Thank you so much. Yes definitely & will know tomo what’s going on. I had to clean her bum & shave her a bit as she’s been having an couple cecotropes again. She’s not my friend lol & not happy with mummy. I’m sure the vets tomo will cause more upset with me xx

dbcbc51a9497365c1dcd25a6c697302e.jpg

Bella with her husbun in one of their litter trays [emoji3590] xx

Back