• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another Insurance thread

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Am I right in thinking you can only insure rabbit up to 5 years (except when Agria does its age amnesty in Oct?)

If a bunny had a minor health issue (eg molar spur) that had been noted by a vet but not deemed to need treatment as yet, would that condition by excluded from insurance if she later needed a dental?

Any company better than another? Does insurance cover consults & drugs? Is there usually an excess? Is this a percentage?

Taking Boo as an example. She is an E.C.rabbit who is deaf & blind. Presumably almost anything that could happen to Boo could be attributable to her disabilities or EC - is this the case? Say if Boo broke her leg would they attribute that to being blind.

I've never insured a bunny before so sorry for all the questions.

Treacle was insured with Petplan, right up to when I lost her at 8. Do you mean a new policy for 5 years plus ? in that case I'm not sure. In all that time I never claimed a penny, as she only ever had treatment for dentals. Georgie cat is also insured with them, and they've always paid out for him with no quibbles.

Treacle was insured with Petplan, right up to when I lost her at 8. Do you mean a new policy for 5 years plus ? in that case I'm not sure. In all that time I never claimed a penny, as she only ever had treatment for dentals. Georgie cat is also insured with them, and they've always paid out for him with no quibbles.

Yes! Sorry, should have been clearer. Thanks PM. How come you didn't claim for dentals - were they excluded?

They wouldn't say a broken leg is related to being blind, it's more like if she had an injury to her front left leg say the exclusion would go down as 'limbs'. The tooth one you could possibly get around depending on the vets wording, or they may need to write a letter to the insurance to state in their opinion it's not related. Insurance would cover consult and drugs providing not pre existing, there is always an excess which is payable per condition per year, percentage is normally added as the rabbit becomes a senior.

I had bigwig with petplan but decided to do Agria for fern and having to claim for her tear duct so far so good. Jake is also insured with them now on their age amnesty, I think you would struggle to find a company take on one over 5 otherwise

I moved Lilac's provider when she was 5, she's now with 4paws, I can't remember who she was with before. She's now 7. I've found with every rabbit insurer I've tried dentals are excluded but generally never had an issue with them paying out for anything else.

If you did find a company to insure Boo, how much would the likely monthly charge be? It might be worth just putting that amount away each month. I accept that it wouldn't cover a large bill, but then hopefully a large bill would be unlikely. Impossible to predict obviously, but consider how much Joey and Mouse cost you in vet fees for the last few years and compare that to how much you could have paid in insurance costs.

You can tell I'm not a fan of insurance :)

Petplan paid for Bigwigs dental, as it was treatment for her illness (eating less, she just had it done alongside her X ray for her lungs) but can be tricky knowing if dentals are covered

If you did find a company to insure Boo, how much would the likely monthly charge be? It might be worth just putting that amount away each month. I accept that it wouldn't cover a large bill, but then hopefully a large bill would be unlikely. Impossible to predict obviously, but consider how much Joey and Mouse cost you in vet fees for the last few years and compare that to how much you could have paid in insurance costs.

You can tell I'm not a fan of insurance :)
This is what we do, although Willoughby has cost me getting a concrete sink now! [emoji38][emoji38] So it does sometimes backfire haha

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks Petsmum, Liz & Orenoko - this is what I'm looking for.

Omi its not for Boo, I was just using her medical quirks as an example. I've no rainy day fund for anything & it'd take years to build anything up on my hours & wages so if Boo gets a friend they'll be insured (him not her). Need to cost everything up properly for once

gosh ! He is a lucky boy to have you

We're lucky to have him honestly, he's a sweetheart and I didn't even know til recently [emoji51]

But yea vet bills for him so far have been 1700 and there's another 950 tomorrow for the ct and dental is a few hundred if he needs that [emoji38] actually writing it all out I could've bought a couple of concrete sinks [emoji38] instead I bought a sink for 120 [emoji38] I'd rather him well though or have the data we need to say pts is the best option for him tho than a 100 fancy sinks.

I think Clementine is still holding the record here though for most money spent on a rabbit [emoji38] Atticus is slowly catching up tho with ongoing meds, cisapride and tramadol are bloody expensive!

We're lucky to have him honestly, he's a sweetheart and I didn't even know til recently [emoji51]

But yea vet bills for him so far have been 1700 and there's another 950 tomorrow for the ct and dental is a few hundred if he needs that [emoji38] actually writing it all out I could've bought a couple of concrete sinks [emoji38] instead I bought a sink for 120 [emoji38] I'd rather him well though or have the data we need to say pts is the best option for him tho than a 100 fancy sinks.

I think Clementine is still holding the record here though for most money spent on a rabbit [emoji38] Atticus is slowly catching up tho with ongoing meds, cisapride and tramadol are bloody expensive!

I know. My rabbit costs have just dropped by 95% but I'd rather have Mousse & Joe back. Boo is very cheap now but she has had her moments. I'm sure metacam from my vets has gone up 40% in the 3 years I had rabbits on it. I just plucked that figure from nowhere but never mind :lol:

One thing I have found with insurance is it can rise steeply especially some naughty companies if you have claimed and you are stuck with them

I made the mistake of insuring all new buns with Helpucover a few years ago. Cheap year 1, not too bad year two then an astronomical rise in year three.

Currently, from experience, I would go with Agria and you have a choice of basic or deluxe policy

I know. My rabbit costs have just dropped by 95% but I'd rather have Mousse & Joe back. Boo is very cheap now but she has had her moments. I'm sure metacam from my vets has gone up 40% in the 3 years I had rabbits on it. I just plucked that figure from nowhere but never mind [emoji38]

Yea exactly, no one else but animal people understand when I say that!

Nah you're right medication costs have definitely risen! I've noticed it for sure

As for age, depending on where the bun comes from you might have to guess their age and that is difficult to do with bunnies unless they are youngsters or elderly - who really knows if they are under 5 or over.

As for age, depending on where the bun comes from you might have to guess their age and that is difficult to do with bunnies unless they are youngsters or elderly - who really knows if they are under 5 or over.
To the best of your knowledge they could be 2 with no pre existing issues... [emoji38][emoji38]

thanks BB. I know you've lOTS of rabbit insurance experience so great to have the recommendation.

i think if you get a rabbit from rescue it would be traceable on records. I'd need to do everything right & honestly anyway else i can't expect my experience of insuring to be a good one. but you're right - Boo, Mouse, Kitty - they were rescued as adults so ages are guesswork anyway for many, many buns

thanks BB. I know you've lOTS of rabbit insurance experience so great to have the recommendation.

i think if you get a rabbit from rescue it would be traceable on records. I'd need to do everything right & honestly anyway else i can't expect my experience of insuring to be a good one. but you're right - Boo, Mouse, Kitty - they were rescued as adults so ages are guesswork anyway for many, many buns

Skuse me, I don't recall suggesting anything dishonest;). Rescues have a lot of strays. Take Scally for instance, Heather was the first to see him and estimated 4-5 years. Frances thought younger but neglected. By the time he died, they all thought he had been older than first thought.

When I took in Oscar I was told he was 5. I did tell that to Dr G but she wasn't listening. Whilst looking him over she informed me he was between 2 and 3 and put that on his record.

I have claimed on loads of rabbits I have adopted from rescues and not one insurance claim have they (variety of insurers) ever asked for history prior to my ownership. They tend to ask what date you acquired the rabbit and are they registered at any other vets but health history is deemed to start from the day of ownership, unless there is something obvious pre-existing.

Last edited:
LMAO He racked up as much here in 3mths as Lopsy did in his first year here so we put it down to a 'young B&W boys' thing :roll: :lol: I do hope you can get to a diagnosis and thta it's treatable, he is adorable and so loving :)

I can definitely see the need for insurance when you have no savings etc., especially with a bun with little/no history. We have no idea about Barrie as he was a stray pre-rescue but he seems fine for now! But you never know...!

Back