Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: another Insurance thread

  1. #11
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    This is what we do, although Willoughby has cost me getting a concrete sink now! So it does sometimes backfire haha

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    gosh ! He is a lucky boy to have you

  2. #12
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    gosh ! He is a lucky boy to have you
    We're lucky to have him honestly, he's a sweetheart and I didn't even know til recently

    But yea vet bills for him so far have been 1700 and there's another 950 tomorrow for the ct and dental is a few hundred if he needs that actually writing it all out I could've bought a couple of concrete sinks instead I bought a sink for 120 I'd rather him well though or have the data we need to say pts is the best option for him tho than a 100 fancy sinks.

    I think Clementine is still holding the record here though for most money spent on a rabbit Atticus is slowly catching up tho with ongoing meds, cisapride and tramadol are bloody expensive!



    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    We're lucky to have him honestly, he's a sweetheart and I didn't even know til recently

    But yea vet bills for him so far have been 1700 and there's another 950 tomorrow for the ct and dental is a few hundred if he needs that actually writing it all out I could've bought a couple of concrete sinks instead I bought a sink for 120 I'd rather him well though or have the data we need to say pts is the best option for him tho than a 100 fancy sinks.

    I think Clementine is still holding the record here though for most money spent on a rabbit Atticus is slowly catching up tho with ongoing meds, cisapride and tramadol are bloody expensive!



    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    I know. My rabbit costs have just dropped by 95% but I'd rather have Mousse & Joe back. Boo is very cheap now but she has had her moments. I'm sure metacam from my vets has gone up 40% in the 3 years I had rabbits on it. I just plucked that figure from nowhere but never mind

  4. #14
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,372

    Default

    One thing I have found with insurance is it can rise steeply especially some naughty companies if you have claimed and you are stuck with them

    I made the mistake of insuring all new buns with Helpucover a few years ago. Cheap year 1, not too bad year two then an astronomical rise in year three.

    Currently, from experience, I would go with Agria and you have a choice of basic or deluxe policy
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  5. #15
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I know. My rabbit costs have just dropped by 95% but I'd rather have Mousse & Joe back. Boo is very cheap now but she has had her moments. I'm sure metacam from my vets has gone up 40% in the 3 years I had rabbits on it. I just plucked that figure from nowhere but never mind
    Yea exactly, no one else but animal people understand when I say that!

    Nah you're right medication costs have definitely risen! I've noticed it for sure

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,372

    Default

    As for age, depending on where the bun comes from you might have to guess their age and that is difficult to do with bunnies unless they are youngsters or elderly - who really knows if they are under 5 or over.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  7. #17
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    23,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    As for age, depending on where the bun comes from you might have to guess their age and that is difficult to do with bunnies unless they are youngsters or elderly - who really knows if they are under 5 or over.
    To the best of your knowledge they could be 2 with no pre existing issues...

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

  8. #18
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    21,932

    Default

    thanks BB. I know you've lOTS of rabbit insurance experience so great to have the recommendation.

    i think if you get a rabbit from rescue it would be traceable on records. I'd need to do everything right & honestly anyway else i can't expect my experience of insuring to be a good one. but you're right - Boo, Mouse, Kitty - they were rescued as adults so ages are guesswork anyway for many, many buns

  9. #19
    Wise Old Thumper Bunny Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    thanks BB. I know you've lOTS of rabbit insurance experience so great to have the recommendation.

    i think if you get a rabbit from rescue it would be traceable on records. I'd need to do everything right & honestly anyway else i can't expect my experience of insuring to be a good one. but you're right - Boo, Mouse, Kitty - they were rescued as adults so ages are guesswork anyway for many, many buns
    Skuse me, I don't recall suggesting anything dishonest. Rescues have a lot of strays. Take Scally for instance, Heather was the first to see him and estimated 4-5 years. Frances thought younger but neglected. By the time he died, they all thought he had been older than first thought.

    When I took in Oscar I was told he was 5. I did tell that to Dr G but she wasn't listening. Whilst looking him over she informed me he was between 2 and 3 and put that on his record.

    I have claimed on loads of rabbits I have adopted from rescues and not one insurance claim have they (variety of insurers) ever asked for history prior to my ownership. They tend to ask what date you acquired the rabbit and are they registered at any other vets but health history is deemed to start from the day of ownership, unless there is something obvious pre-existing.
    Last edited by Bunny Buddy; 15-03-2022 at 11:08 PM.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20

  10. #20
    Wise Old Thumper keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    14,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    But yea vet bills for him so far have been 1700 and there's another 950 tomorrow for the ct and dental is a few hundred if he needs that actually writing it all out I could've bought a couple of concrete sinks instead I bought a sink for 120 I'd rather him well though or have the data we need to say pts is the best option for him tho than a 100 fancy sinks.
    LMAO He racked up as much here in 3mths as Lopsy did in his first year here so we put it down to a 'young B&W boys' thing I do hope you can get to a diagnosis and thta it's treatable, he is adorable and so loving

    I can definitely see the need for insurance when you have no savings etc., especially with a bun with little/no history. We have no idea about Barrie as he was a stray pre-rescue but he seems fine for now! But you never know...!
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her/any.

    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •