• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smudge

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
I haven’t posted in this section in such a while. But we have made the difficult decision to say goodbye to Smudge :cry: He is 13 and a half years old and we’ve had him for 13 of those years. I have booked the apt for Wednesday evening next week.

He has been weak on one back leg due to arthritis in his knee and has been on metacam for nearly a year but was managing. The last couple of weeks though he suddenly got a real wobble on. Kept falling over and unable to get up without help, and his head was tilted a little to the left. I’ve had an EC headtilt bunny before but the vets thought it very unlikely it was suddenly EC at his age especially with him being indoors so they tried him on antibiotics to see if it was an ear infection that could be cleared up. They said if the antibiotics made no difference to him then it was more likely to be something in his brain (they cited the example of a tumour). The antibiotics have not worked sadly. I’ve been conflicted because he is still eating and drinking enthusiastically, and he still has a lot of feist in him (he hated the baytril with a passion!) but he can’t move very far now and spends his time mostly on his side somewhere in reach of his hay and water which is no life at all really. I feel so bad, and H will be heartbroken, as will we. But he will be reunited at last with his Sora who also got to 13 before she was PTS in 2020.

I'm so very sorry to hear this, but 13 what a wonderful age. Putting his qualitg of life before your own sadness, is a testament of your love and care. I will be thinking of him and you next week xx

I’m so sorry that you are having to say goodbye to Smudge :cry: I hope that the fact that he has had a long and happy life with you will help you come to terms with his loss :cry: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Sending lots of hugs. For them both to get to thirteen years old is wonderful, but I can understand how heartbreaking it will be for you all :(

After Smudge being in your lives for so long, you must be heartbroken to have to say goodbye. May your many memories of healthier, happier times help you through this difficult time.

Oh what a life - thirteen & a half years is awesome. I'm sorry its time to say goodbye though, I had to make the decision to put my not as elderly but similar symptoms Mousey to sleep a week ago. As with Joey only 6 weeks before she had a brilliant appetite - I did struggle more with my decisions for that reason. On reflection for both bunnies I'm glad I let them go before they were in so much pain they wouldn't eat - it was a comfort that their last days I could spoil them with lots & lots of herbs & favourite foods.
I hope little H copes ok. There are some nice kids books on bunny bereavement I think

Smudge has gone :cry:

H is absolutely broken. We’re all broken really, but my OH and I at least understand it’s the kindest option despite our heartbreak, but it’s harder for H.

The living room is quiet for the first time in 13.5 years :cry:

Thank you all for the kind words x

Smudge has gone :cry:

H is absolutely broken. We’re all broken really, but my OH and I at least understand it’s the kindest option despite our heartbreak, but it’s harder for H.

The living room is quiet for the first time in 13.5 years :cry:

Thank you all for the kind words x

heartbreaking. i am so sorry but am sure you did the right thing. 13 1/2 is an amazing age for a bunny xxxxxx

I’m so sorry:cry: binky free at the bridge, Smudge. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Back